rehat linux9.0 ppp error messages - Networking

This is a discussion on rehat linux9.0 ppp error messages - Networking ; hi, all these days, I tried to test ppp link between two redhat linux9.0(using null modem connection), acoording Chapter 29. Using PPP across a null modem (direct serial) connection in PPP-HWOTO,, but when I type [root@localhost ~]# pppd /dev/ttyS0 nodetach ...

  1. Re: rehat linux9.0 ppp error messages

    abelard wrote:
    > hi, all
    > these days, I tried to test ppp link between two redhat
    > linux9.0(using null modem connection), acoording Chapter 29. Using PPP
    > across a null modem (direct serial) connection in PPP-HWOTO,,

    What kind of nullmodem, a 3-wire or full nullmodem?

    I guess you know that a nullmodem is not a "direct serial" connection
    in the pin-to-same-pin sense.

    > but when I type
    > [root@localhost ~]# pppd /dev/ttyS0 nodetach
    > I got the following messages:

    > using channel 3
    > Using interface ppp0
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1

    ]

    [repeated 9 more times]

    > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

    No response means that the "server" pppd is unable to respond or that
    LCP messages are being lost or corrupted.

    > I have done the following things:
    > 1. the client(using minicom) can login into the server(using
    > agetty),
    > 2.the configurations about server ppp as follows:
    > /etc/ppp/options:
    > lock
    > auth

    > /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
    > lock
    > local
    > crtscts

    If you use local then you should use xonxoff, not crtscts. If you use
    crtscts then you should not use xonxoff or local. The options local and
    xonxoff are for a 3-wire nullmodem and crtscts is for a full nullmodem.

    > debug
    > asyncmap 0

    Just a heads-up: If it turns out that you need to use xonxoff then you
    should not specify asyncmap.

    > passive
    > proxyarp
    > 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.10
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > ms-dns 192.168.1.1
    > require-pap

    Not related to the current problem but you might also need

    remotename ppp

    > 38400

    > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > ppp * 123pcz *

    > 3. the configuration about client ppp as follow
    > /etc/ppp/options:
    > lock

    > /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
    > 38400
    > crtscts
    > debug
    > local

    The server comments regarding local, xonxoff, and crtscts also apply to
    the "client."

    > user ppp
    > noauth

    > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > ppp * 123pcz *

    > any replys are welcom, thks!

    Finally, be sure ttyS0 is the correct serial port for the nullmodem cable
    and is correctly configured.

    Regards-
    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.

  2. Re: rehat linux9.0 ppp error messages

    ]

    > [repeated 9 more times]
    >
    > > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

    > No response means that the "server" pppd is unable to respond or that
    > LCP messages are being lost or corrupted.
    >
    > > I have done the following things:
    > > 1. the client(using minicom) can login into the server(using
    > > agetty),
    > > 2.the configurations about server ppp as follows:
    > > /etc/ppp/options:
    > > lock
    > > auth
    > > /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
    > > lock
    > > local
    > > crtscts

    > If you use local then you should use xonxoff, not crtscts. If you use
    > crtscts then you should not use xonxoff or local. The options local and
    > xonxoff are for a 3-wire nullmodem and crtscts is for a full nullmodem.
    >
    > > debug
    > > asyncmap 0

    > Just a heads-up: If it turns out that you need to use xonxoff then you
    > should not specify asyncmap.
    >
    > > passive
    > > proxyarp
    > > 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.10
    > > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > > ms-dns 192.168.1.1
    > > require-pap

    > Not related to the current problem but you might also need
    >
    > remotename ppp
    >
    > > 38400
    > > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > > ppp * 123pcz *
    > > 3. the configuration about client ppp as follow
    > > /etc/ppp/options:
    > > lock
    > > /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
    > > 38400
    > > crtscts
    > > debug
    > > local

    > The server comments regarding local, xonxoff, and crtscts also apply to
    > the "client."
    >
    > > user ppp
    > > noauth
    > > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > > ppp * 123pcz *
    > > any replys are welcom, thks!

    > Finally, be sure ttyS0 is the correct serial port for the nullmodem cable
    > and is correctly configured.
    >
    > Regards-
    > --
    > Clifford Kite
    > /* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.
    > Use =} to wrap paragraphs in vi. Or put map ^] !}fmt -72^M in
    > ~/.exrc and use ^] to wrap to 72 columns or whatever you choose. */

    thank you Clifford Kite!
    For your reply, now my two pc(with rhd linux 9.0) can communicat with
    each other across ppp successfully. As you metioned, I deleted
    crtscts and added xonxoff to the file options.ttyS0.

+ Reply to Thread