LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines - Networking

This is a discussion on LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines - Networking ; I have a LAN with DHCP in a linksys WRT54GL router, and three clients, (say ADS1, ADS2, ADS3) each of which has full internet access, none of which can see the others. Each has hostname set properly in both /etc/hosts ...

  1. LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines

    I have a LAN with DHCP in a linksys WRT54GL router, and three clients,
    (say ADS1, ADS2, ADS3) each of which has full internet access, none of
    which can see the others.

    Each has hostname set properly in both /etc/hosts and
    /etc/sysconfig/network, e.g.

    [ads@ADS1 etc]$ cat hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost ADS1

    [ads@ADS1 etc]$ cd sysconfig
    [ads@ADS1 sysconfig]$ cat network
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=ADS1
    [ads@ADS1 sysconfig]$

    Same for the others. But the names ADS1, ADS2, and ADS3 are not
    recognized by ping or anything else.

    [ads@ADS1 $ ping ADS2
    ping: unknown host ADS2
    [ads@ADS1 sysconfig]$

    What am I missing?

    Thanks.

    -Al

  2. Re: LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:58:54 +0000, Al Schapira wrote:

    > I have a LAN with DHCP in a linksys WRT54GL router, and three clients,
    > (say ADS1, ADS2, ADS3) each of which has full internet access, none of
    > which can see the others.

    Why are you using DHCP for what I presume are fixed, non-portable
    machines?

    > What am I missing?

    Proper entries in /etc/hosts files or a dynamic DNS server.

  3. Re: LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines

    Al Schapira schrieb:
    > I have a LAN with DHCP in a linksys WRT54GL router, and three clients,

    You got WHAT?! a LAN WITHIN YOUR ROUTER ? lol

    > Each has hostname set properly in both /etc/hosts and
    > /etc/sysconfig/network, e.g.
    >
    > [ads@ADS1 etc]$ cat hosts
    > # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    > # that require network functionality will fail.
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost ADS1

    > [ads@ADS1 $ ping ADS2
    > ping: unknown host ADS2
    > [ads@ADS1 sysconfig]$
    >
    > What am I missing?

    nearly anything that have something to do with HOSTNAME-RESOLUTION. this
    is linux. not windows. as far i can understand your configuration now..
    u got 3 hosts.. and EVERY HOST KNOWS HIMSELF. well done! but wouldnt it
    be nice if one host also knows the other one ?

    in linux for name resolution you will need either /etc/hosts file, DNS
    or similar Services to resolv hostnames into ip adresses. there is no
    "master browser" thingy like in simple windows peer 2 peer networks that
    run by default.

    so the easiest way for you would be to enter ALL HOSTS you wanna hit by
    a NAME than an IP Adress into your /etc/hosts ON ANY OF YOUR HOSTS.

    example /etc/hosts

    x.x.x.x ads1
    y.y.y.y ads2
    z.z.z.z ads3

    then if u ping ads2 at the host ads1 it will find it.

    the better and more sofisticated version of name resolution would be to
    install an DNS Server. but this means some RTFM and work to do. for
    small "on desk" networks the version 1 might be good enough. for larger
    networks and more hosts you should think about DNS. read more about DNS
    and name resolution at any WIKI web. its worth a lot!

    greets
    Axel

+ Reply to Thread