X11 Terminal with Floppy/CD/USB-Stick - Networking

This is a discussion on X11 Terminal with Floppy/CD/USB-Stick - Networking ; Hi! Currently I'm administrating a little network with a few X11 terminals and a Linux server. On the terminals we run a rather old version of PXES ( http://pxes.sourceforge.net/ ), at the server we use Debian. The users want to ...

  1. X11 Terminal with Floppy/CD/USB-Stick

    Hi!

    Currently I'm administrating a little network with a few X11 terminals
    and a Linux server. On the terminals we run a rather old version of PXES
    (http://pxes.sourceforge.net/), at the server we use Debian. The users
    want to use their floppies, CDs, DVDs and USB sticks with the terminals.

    Our current solution uses NBD and a few scripts, which are started via
    menu entries in the Gnome menu. That works in some cases but is quite
    unsatisfactory, especially when USB sticks with several partitions or
    without even an MBR are used.

    I would like to implement some kind of an "automatic" solution, so when a
    media is inserted into the terminal, all "new" partitions should pop up
    as icons on the desktop (or similar). This behavior already works
    properly on pure desktop PCs (e.g. with gnome-volume-manager), and I'd
    like to extend it to terimals.

    Could you please point me to some hints, how such a solution could be
    implemented?

    Thanks
    Hansi

  2. Re: X11 Terminal with Floppy/CD/USB-Stick

    On 07/29/2007 07:03 PM, Johann Glaser wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Currently I'm administrating a little network with a few X11 terminals
    > and a Linux server. On the terminals we run a rather old version of PXES
    > (http://pxes.sourceforge.net/), at the server we use Debian. The users
    > want to use their floppies, CDs, DVDs and USB sticks with the terminals.
    >
    > Our current solution uses NBD and a few scripts, which are started via
    > menu entries in the Gnome menu. That works in some cases but is quite
    > unsatisfactory, especially when USB sticks with several partitions or
    > without even an MBR are used.
    >
    > I would like to implement some kind of an "automatic" solution, so when a
    > media is inserted into the terminal, all "new" partitions should pop up
    > as icons on the desktop (or similar). This behavior already works
    > properly on pure desktop PCs (e.g. with gnome-volume-manager), and I'd
    > like to extend it to terimals.
    >
    > Could you please point me to some hints, how such a solution could be
    > implemented?

    Yep, try knoppix start-up and, or scripts.

    Anu'z Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  3. Re: X11 Terminal with Floppy/CD/USB-Stick

    Hi!

    > Yep, try knoppix start-up and, or scripts.

    Is Knoppix able to run as a X11 terminal with all remote features as
    described in my original post?

    Bye
    Hansi

+ Reply to Thread