No networking when I reboot Suse 10 VMware installation. - Networking

This is a discussion on No networking when I reboot Suse 10 VMware installation. - Networking ; First of all I'm not sure whether the problem is due to my limited knowledge of Suse or whether it's a VMWare issue. I have Suse 10.1 installed and running under VMWare Workstation on my laptop. The problem is when ...

  1. No networking when I reboot Suse 10 VMware installation.

    First of all I'm not sure whether the problem is due to my limited
    knowledge of Suse or whether it's a VMWare issue.

    I have Suse 10.1 installed and running under VMWare Workstation on my
    laptop. The problem is when I reboot the Linux server I cannot telnet
    into it from my laptop. The only way I can get it running is to go
    into Yast > Network Services > Network Card, look at the card details
    which are presented, click the Next button to complete. After this I
    can telnet into the server. Unfortunately, the settings never survive
    a reboot.
    Any ideas what I am doing wrong? xinetd is running when I
    reboot.

    btw I have VMWare configured as Host-only which is on VMNet1.

    Thanks

    Shaun

  2. Re: No networking when I reboot Suse 10 VMware installation.

    I don't know if it's related but after I've gone through Yast and can
    telnet into the server I still can't ftp into it.

    I get the error:

    Connected to 192.168.7.30.
    500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket
    Connection closed by remote host.

    If I run:

    suse:/etc/xinetd.d # fuser -v 21/tcp

    USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
    21/tcp: root 2720 F.... xinetd

    it appears that xinetd is listening on port 21.

    In the network services panel of YAST it reports ON as the status for
    vsftpd.

    Any ideas what's wrong and what I can try next?

    Thanks

    Shaun

    On Jul 27, 11:19 am, scamper wrote:
    > First of all I'm not sure whether the problem is due to my limited
    > knowledge of Suse or whether it's a VMWare issue.
    >
    > I have Suse 10.1 installed and running under VMWare Workstation on my
    > laptop. The problem is when I reboot the Linux server I cannot telnet
    > into it from my laptop. The only way I can get it running is to go
    > into Yast > Network Services > Network Card, look at the card details
    > which are presented, click the Next button to complete. After this I
    > can telnet into the server. Unfortunately, the settings never survive
    > a reboot.
    > Any ideas what I am doing wrong? xinetd is running when I
    > reboot.
    >
    > btw I have VMWare configured as Host-only which is on VMNet1.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Shaun

+ Reply to Thread