telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host - Networking

This is a discussion on telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host - Networking ; I started telnetd and sshd on my ubuntu server. When I use telnet or putty to connect to it, the connection broken after a while. It seems there is a time out configured. Does anyone have any idea on how ...

  1. telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host

    I started telnetd and sshd on my ubuntu server. When I use telnet or
    putty to connect to it, the connection broken after a while. It seems
    there is a time out configured.
    Does anyone have any idea on how to disable the time out and keep the
    telnet or ssh session alive?

  2. Re: telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host

    sgxing@gmail.com wrote:
    > I started telnetd and sshd on my ubuntu server. When I use telnet or
    > putty to connect to it, the connection broken after a while. It seems
    > there is a time out configured.
    > Does anyone have any idea on how to disable the time out and keep the
    > telnet or ssh session alive?

    There isn't a time out on sshd, at least by default. You probably have a
    firewall somewhere in your network that times you out.

    Robert

  3. Re: telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host

    Robert Harris writes:

    > sgxing@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I started telnetd and sshd on my ubuntu server. When I use telnet or
    > > putty to connect to it, the connection broken after a while. It seems
    > > there is a time out configured.
    > > Does anyone have any idea on how to disable the time out and keep the
    > > telnet or ssh session alive?
    > >

    > There isn't a time out on sshd, at least by default. You probably have a
    > firewall somewhere in your network that times you out.

    So go set the ClientAliveInterval in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to something
    smaller than the timeout.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  4. Re: telnet and ssh: Connection closed by foreign host

    "Scott Hemphill" wrote
    > Robert Harris writes:
    > > sgxing@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > I started telnetd and sshd on my ubuntu server. When I use telnet or
    > > > putty to connect to it, the connection broken after a while. It seems
    > > > there is a time out configured.
    > > > Does anyone have any idea on how to disable the time out and keep the
    > > > telnet or ssh session alive?
    > > >

    > > There isn't a time out on sshd, at least by default. You probably have a
    > > firewall somewhere in your network that times you out.

    > So go set the ClientAliveInterval in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to something
    > smaller than the timeout.
    >
    > Scott

    And see if your putty.exe has a 'send keepalives' checkbox in the menues.

+ Reply to Thread