Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection - Networking

This is a discussion on Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection - Networking ; Hi there. I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to specific IP ort1a to localhost ort1b I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only xinetd seems to be good solution. I've read ...

  1. Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    Hi there.
    I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    xinetd seems to be good solution.

    I've read manuals but they seem to be little bit complex for me. All I
    want is to do sth like:

    IP1ort1a ---redirect---> localhostort1b
    IP1ort2a ---redirect---> localhostort2b
    IP1ort3a ---redirect---> localhostort3b

    i.e create something like "virtual" IPs - similar like /etc/hosts file
    does - only not for hostnames but for IPort keys.

    Somebody please give a tip?

    --
    Regards
    Yatsek

  2. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    In comp.os.linux.networking yatsek@gmail.com:
    > Hi there.
    > I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    > specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    > I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    > xinetd seems to be good solution.

    And this has to do with Linux?

    #bofh excuse 24: network packets travelling uphill (use a
    carrier pigeon)

  3. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    yatsek@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi there.
    > I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    > specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    > I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    > xinetd seems to be good solution.

    Uh? In the same breath you mention cygwin (implies not *nix OS) and iptables
    (implies linux).

    xinetd is a super-server, it will not help you here as it only handles
    incoming traffic.

    I think you should give us a detailed description of the OS that you want to
    do this on.

    > I've read manuals but they seem to be little bit complex for me. All I
    > want is to do sth like:
    >
    > IP1ort1a ---redirect---> localhostort1b
    > IP1ort2a ---redirect---> localhostort2b
    > IP1ort3a ---redirect---> localhostort3b
    >
    > i.e create something like "virtual" IPs - similar like /etc/hosts file
    > does - only not for hostnames but for IPort keys.
    >
    > Somebody please give a tip?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Yatsek

  4. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    On Jul 18, 4:39 pm, Michael Heiming
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking yat...@gmail.com:
    >
    > > Hi there.
    > > I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    > > specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    > > I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    > > xinetd seems to be good solution.

    > And this has to do with Linux?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 24: network packets travelling uphill (use a
    > carrier pigeon)

    Supposed to hear something like that. Please don't waste net
    connection to post this kind of replies.

    I thought that xinetd is from linux - so this is Linux-related part -
    oh silly me.
    If you can't give response just don't open your mouth. I've had really
    enough of $#@$-people like that. Because of #@$!@ like you our (yes
    I'm Linux-guy too) community is being seen as crowd of morons. So if
    you can't give anything else than RTFM or similar then GO AWAY.

    I'm programmer, not sys admin using windows-box at work (why oh why I
    have to give this kind of excuses to make myself "look better" in the
    eyes of "community"). I need xinetd config help. I've looked through
    tones of Google/manuals and probably anything possible web-available
    content to find and just couldn't get neccessary information - so I'm
    asking.

  5. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    Thx for really good response.

    > Uh? In the same breath you mention cygwin (implies not *nix OS) and iptables
    > (implies linux).
    >
    > xinetd is a super-server, it will not help you here as it only handles
    > incoming traffic.

    Yeah - I've figured that already out. I'm using windows-box (XP Pro)
    and I've already digged through this problem. Looks like there is no
    simple way to handle this - creating a loopback and later trying
    something to do with this seems only reasonable thing. Maybe I'll try
    to solve by using some linux on qemu with 3 ethernet cards and later
    to play with iptables. Seems only possible solution for now.

    But if you know of anything helpful on WinXP I'll be glad to hear
    something.

    Regards
    Yatsek

    > I think you should give us a detailed description of the OS that you want to
    > do this on.
    >
    > > I've read manuals but they seem to be little bit complex for me. All I
    > > want is to do sth like:

    > > IP1ort1a ---redirect---> localhostort1b
    > > IP1ort2a ---redirect---> localhostort2b
    > > IP1ort3a ---redirect---> localhostort3b

    > > i.e create something like "virtual" IPs - similar like /etc/hosts file
    > > does - only not for hostnames but for IPort keys.

    > > Somebody please give a tip?

    > > --
    > > Regards
    > > Yatsek

  6. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    In comp.os.linux.networking yatsek@gmail.com:
    > On Jul 18, 4:39 pm, Michael Heiming
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.networking yat...@gmail.com:

    >> > Hi there.
    >> > I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    >> > specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    >> > I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    >> > xinetd seems to be good solution.

    >> And this has to do with Linux?

    > Supposed to hear something like that. Please don't waste net
    > connection to post this kind of replies.

    > I thought that xinetd is from linux - so this is Linux-related part -
    > oh silly me.

    Indeed, but it dosen't have to do anything with redirecting
    TCP/IP, which is obvious from the first 3 lines of its fine
    manual.

    NAME
    xinetd - the extended Internet services daemon

    DESCRIPTION
    xinetd performs the same function as inetd: it starts
    programs that provide Internet services.

    > If you can't give response just don't open your mouth. I've had really
    > enough of $#@$-people like that. Because of #@$!@ like you our (yes
    > I'm Linux-guy too) community is being seen as crowd of morons. So if
    > you can't give anything else than RTFM or similar then GO AWAY.

    > I'm programmer, not sys admin using windows-box at work (why oh why I
    > have to give this kind of excuses to make myself "look better" in the
    > eyes of "community"). I need xinetd config help. I've looked through
    > tones of Google/manuals and probably anything possible web-available
    > content to find and just couldn't get neccessary information - so I'm
    > asking.

    No you didn't really looked anywhere or it is just because you
    aren't running Linux, as in the name of this ng.

    $ man -k xinetd
    system-config-services (rpm) - system-config-services is an
    initscript and xinetd configuration utility
    xinetd (8) - the extended Internet services daemon
    xinetd.conf [xinetd] (5) - Extended Internet Services Daemon
    configuration file
    xinetd.log [xinetd] (8) - xinetd service log format
    xinetd (rpm) - A secure replacement for inetd.

    The needed info should be installed with xinetd on any Linux box.

    #bofh excuse 168: le0: no carrier: transceiver cable problem?

  7. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    yatsek@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Jul 18, 4:39 pm, Michael Heiming
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.networking yat...@gmail.com:
    >>
    >> > Hi there.
    >> > I need to configure xinetd so it redirects traffic outgoing to
    >> > specific IPort1a to localhostort1b
    >> > I've heard about iptables to do this but I'm using cygwin and only
    >> > xinetd seems to be good solution.

    >> And this has to do with Linux?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    >> mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    >> #bofh excuse 24: network packets travelling uphill (use a
    >> carrier pigeon)

    > Supposed to hear something like that. Please don't waste net
    > connection to post this kind of replies.
    >
    > I thought that xinetd is from linux - so this is Linux-related part -
    > oh silly me.
    > If you can't give response just don't open your mouth. I've had really
    > enough of $#@$-people like that. Because of #@$!@ like you our (yes
    > I'm Linux-guy too) community is being seen as crowd of morons. So if
    > you can't give anything else than RTFM or similar then GO AWAY.
    >
    > I'm programmer, not sys admin using windows-box at work (why oh why I
    > have to give this kind of excuses to make myself "look better" in the
    > eyes of "community"). I need xinetd config help. I've looked through
    > tones of Google/manuals and probably anything possible web-available
    > content to find and just couldn't get neccessary information - so I'm
    > asking.

    These guys are helping you of their own free will and in their own time.
    They don't deserve this blast of anger. They could always blacklist you;
    that would certainly save bandwidth. Instead, Michael ignored the anger
    and answered the question.

    It isn't so much a question of their not helping. You are trying to make
    xinetd do something that it can't do, and asking them to help you do
    it. "The impossible takes a little longer..." Just saying "xinetd comes
    with Linux so it must be the tool" isn't exactly scientific.

    If you had shown that you had the background, you would not have needed to
    tell us you are a programmer. If this is outside your area of expertise, I
    have a more positive suggestion: adopt a newbie approach. Take a look at
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html . If you had given more
    information to start with, the replies could have been more helpful
    immediately. Personally, I can't help ... iptables sets up a firewall,
    and there are many GUI programs for Linux that will help you with that.
    AFAIK, it doesn't do any redirecting of traffic.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Ugliness is only skin deep.
    - W.G.P.

  8. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    > These guys are helping you of their own free will and in their own time.
    > They don't deserve this blast of anger. They could always blacklist you;
    > that would certainly save bandwidth. Instead, Michael ignored the anger
    > and answered the question.

    True. But not only them I'm also helping a lot of people at my own
    free will, and at my own free time and help like "and this has what to
    do with ...[put here filed of interest]..." is WORSE thing you can
    answer. Much better would be "sorry xinetd doesn't work for that, try
    another thing" - almost same number of letters to type, but much more:
    - respect
    - information
    - treating other people like... human beings and not just as anoying
    noobs (we're all noobs from some point of view unfortunatelly)

    > It isn't so much a question of their not helping. You are trying to make
    > xinetd do something that it can't do, and asking them to help you do
    > it. "The impossible takes a little longer..." Just saying "xinetd comes
    > with Linux so it must be the tool" isn't exactly scientific.

    True. Again - I'm not 3-months linux newbie - I'm using Gentoo like 3
    years as my main OS at home computer. But it doesn't mean that I'm pro
    in networking field.

    > If you had shown that you had the background, you would not have needed to
    > tell us you are a programmer. If this is outside your area of expertise, I
    > have a more positive suggestion: adopt a newbie approach. Take a look athttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html. If you had given more
    > information to start with, the replies could have been more helpful
    > immediately. Personally, I can't help ... iptables sets up a firewall,
    > and there are many GUI programs for Linux that will help you with that.
    > AFAIK, it doesn't do any redirecting of traffic.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.
    > --
    > Ugliness is only skin deep.
    > - W.G.P.

    Maybe after all I've overreacted - sorry about that - bad day spend
    for looking for answers and nothing been found :/ . All I want to say
    is that sometimes before closing door ("and what are you looking for
    here boy?!") just point out finger to show a newbie at least some
    direction to look for.

    On the other hand I see that I've chosen right place to ask - this
    doesn't seem to be trivial nor newbie problem so I expected a little
    bit more comprehend information

    Anyway thx for help. Now I have it working - through Qemu and some
    small distro which requires only 16 MB of RAM. Windows can't do this
    "virtual IP" thing.

    Greetings
    Yatsek

  9. Re: Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

    In comp.os.linux.networking yatsek@gmail.com:

    >> These guys are helping you of their own free will and in their own time.
    >> They don't deserve this blast of anger. They could always blacklist you;
    >> that would certainly save bandwidth. Instead, Michael ignored the anger
    >> and answered the question.
    >>

    > True. But not only them I'm also helping a lot of people at my own
    > free will, and at my own free time and help like "and this has what to
    > do with ...[put here filed of interest]..." is WORSE thing you can
    > answer. Much better would be "sorry xinetd doesn't work for that, try
    > another thing" - almost same number of letters to type, but much more:
    > - respect
    > - information
    > - treating other people like... human beings and not just as anoying
    > noobs (we're all noobs from some point of view unfortunatelly)

    This is just your misconception of usenet, if you are aware at
    all what it is about, since you are using G2/?

    Name: comp.os.linux.networking

    None did tread you anyhow, it is just the simple fact your
    question is OT here.

    #bofh excuse 372: Forced to support NT servers; sysadmins quit.

+ Reply to Thread