Printing with Samba - Networking

This is a discussion on Printing with Samba - Networking ; I have just replaced my Epson multifunction with one by Brother. The Epson went well with installed drivers, and I was able to print to it from my wife's laptop (Windows XP) using Samba, winsteng.exe and the PPD file. Drivers ...

  1. Printing with Samba

    I have just replaced my Epson multifunction with one by Brother. The Epson
    went well with installed drivers, and I was able to print to it from my
    wife's laptop (Windows XP) using Samba, winsteng.exe and the PPD file.

    Drivers for the Brother MFC are a download from Brother's Web site, but
    winsteng.exe didn't like the PPD file, and the Company's Support line tell
    me that winsteng.exe is not supported.

    Can I tell the laptop to use the downloaded driver on my Linux box under
    Samba? If so, how?

    TIA,

    Doug.
    --
    Be wisely worldly, be not worldly wise.
    - Francis Quarles.

  2. Re: Printing with Samba

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have just replaced my Epson multifunction with one by Brother. The Epson
    > went well with installed drivers, and I was able to print to it from my
    > wife's laptop (Windows XP) using Samba, winsteng.exe and the PPD file.
    >
    > Drivers for the Brother MFC are a download from Brother's Web site, but
    > winsteng.exe didn't like the PPD file, and the Company's Support line tell
    > me that winsteng.exe is not supported.
    >
    > Can I tell the laptop to use the downloaded driver on my Linux box under
    > Samba? If so, how?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Doug.

    Yes you can - you need cupsaddsmb which is part of the cups distribution.

    Robert

  3. Re: Printing with Samba

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have just replaced my Epson multifunction with one by Brother. The
    >> Epson went well with installed drivers, and I was able to print to it
    >> from my wife's laptop (Windows XP) using Samba, winsteng.exe and the PPD
    >> file.
    >>
    >> Drivers for the Brother MFC are a download from Brother's Web site, but
    >> winsteng.exe didn't like the PPD file, and the Company's Support line
    >> tell me that winsteng.exe is not supported.
    >>
    >> Can I tell the laptop to use the downloaded driver on my Linux box under
    >> Samba? If so, how?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Yes you can - you need cupsaddsmb which is part of the cups distribution.
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks. Still playing with it. I have several HOWTOs, and they are all
    different. One gives a procedure identical to the one with cupsaddsmb,
    another says that cupsaddsmb works only with the printers listed in the
    docs. winsteng.exe wanted a "Level 2" ppd file. It seems to be more for
    Win98, but it ran the Epson under XP. Thankfully, the config is used only
    rarely.

    Doug.
    --
    Perhaps the most important thing we give each other is our attention.
    -- Dr R. N. Remen.

  4. Re: Printing with Samba

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I have just replaced my Epson multifunction with one by Brother. The
    >>> Epson went well with installed drivers, and I was able to print to it
    >>> from my wife's laptop (Windows XP) using Samba, winsteng.exe and the PPD
    >>> file.
    >>>
    >>> Drivers for the Brother MFC are a download from Brother's Web site, but
    >>> winsteng.exe didn't like the PPD file, and the Company's Support line
    >>> tell me that winsteng.exe is not supported.
    >>>
    >>> Can I tell the laptop to use the downloaded driver on my Linux box under
    >>> Samba? If so, how?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >> Yes you can - you need cupsaddsmb which is part of the cups distribution.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Thanks. Still playing with it. I have several HOWTOs, and they are all
    > different. One gives a procedure identical to the one with cupsaddsmb,
    > another says that cupsaddsmb works only with the printers listed in the
    > docs. winsteng.exe wanted a "Level 2" ppd file. It seems to be more for
    > Win98, but it ran the Epson under XP. Thankfully, the config is used only
    > rarely.
    >
    > Doug

    "man cupsaddsmb" tells you more or less the whole story.

    Robert

  5. Re: Printing with Samba

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Robert Harris wrote:

    >>> Yes you can - you need cupsaddsmb which is part of the cups
    >>> distribution.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> Thanks. Still playing with it. I have several HOWTOs, and they are all
    >> different. One gives a procedure identical to the one with cupsaddsmb,
    >> another says that cupsaddsmb works only with the printers listed in the
    >> docs. winsteng.exe wanted a "Level 2" ppd file. It seems to be more for
    >> Win98, but it ran the Epson under XP. Thankfully, the config is used
    >> only rarely.
    >>
    >> Doug

    > "man cupsaddsmb" tells you more or less the whole story.
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks Robert. Leave it with me for a while.

    Doug.
    --
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
    accepting it.

  6. Re: Printing with Samba

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Robert Harris wrote:

    >>> Yes you can - you need cupsaddsmb which is part of the cups
    >>> distribution.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> Thanks. Still playing with it. I have several HOWTOs, and they are all
    >> different. One gives a procedure identical to the one with cupsaddsmb,
    >> another says that cupsaddsmb works only with the printers listed in the
    >> docs. winsteng.exe wanted a "Level 2" ppd file. It seems to be more for
    >> Win98, but it ran the Epson under XP. Thankfully, the config is used
    >> only rarely.
    >>
    >> Doug

    > "man cupsaddsmb" tells you more or less the whole story.
    >
    > Robert

    Doing it strictly according to the manpage, and using the Cups drivers, I
    get an error message from cupsaddsmb -v -a:

    Running command:
    smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/46a062b152080 -c 'mkdir
    W32X86;put /root/tmp/46a062aaab486
    W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    Unknown parameter encountered: "hosts equiv"
    Ignoring unknown parameter "hosts equiv"
    Connection to failed

    Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!

    I am a bit puzzled by the [Windows etc] labels for the file listings on the
    man page. They look like paragraphs on an INI file, and have no place in a
    directory, so I simply ignored them.

    Doug.

    --
    Intuition is how a woman knows for sure without knowing for certain.
    - W.G.P.

  7. Re: Printing with Samba

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Still playing with it. I have several HOWTOs, and they are all
    >>> different. One gives a procedure identical to the one with cupsaddsmb,
    >>> another says that cupsaddsmb works only with the printers listed in the
    >>> docs. winsteng.exe wanted a "Level 2" ppd file. It seems to be more for
    >>> Win98, but it ran the Epson under XP. Thankfully, the config is used
    >>> only rarely.
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    >> "man cupsaddsmb" tells you more or less the whole story.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Doing it strictly according to the manpage, and using the Cups drivers, I
    > get an error message from cupsaddsmb -v -a:
    >
    > Running command:
    > smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/46a062b152080 -c 'mkdir
    > W32X86;put /root/tmp/46a062aaab486
    > W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    > W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    > W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    > W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    > W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    > Unknown parameter encountered: "hosts equiv"
    > Ignoring unknown parameter "hosts equiv"

    That is an obsolete directive in your smb.conf file

    > Connection to failed
    >
    > Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!

    You have a permissions problem somewhere:

    1. note that "security = share" doesn't work with cupsaddsmb
    2. make sure that you can write in the [print$] section of your smb.conf
    file ("write list = root"), at least while you are doing cupsaddsmb.

    There is a chapter in the samba HOWTO book (at:

    ) which discusses possible problems although it is not completely up to
    date.

    It really does work.

    Robert

    > I am a bit puzzled by the [Windows etc] labels for the file listings on the
    > man page. They look like paragraphs on an INI file, and have no place in a
    > directory, so I simply ignored them.
    >
    > Doug.

  8. Re: Printing with Samba

    Robert Harris wrote:

    >> Doing it strictly according to the manpage, and using the Cups drivers, I
    >> get an error message from cupsaddsmb -v -a:
    >>
    >> Running command:
    >> smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/46a062b152080
    >> -c 'mkdir W32X86;put /root/tmp/46a062aaab486
    >> W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    >> W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    >> W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    >> W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    >> W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    >> Unknown parameter encountered: "hosts equiv"
    >> Ignoring unknown parameter "hosts equiv"

    > That is an obsolete directive in your smb.conf file
    >
    >> Connection to *failed
    >>
    >> Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!

    > You have a permissions problem somewhere:
    >
    > 1. note that "security = share" doesn't work with cupsaddsmb
    > 2. make sure that you can write in the [print$] section of your smb.conf
    > file ("write list = root"), at least while you are doing cupsaddsmb.
    >
    > There is a chapter in the samba HOWTO book (at:
    >

    > ) which discusses possible problems although it is not completely up to
    > date.
    >
    > It really does work.
    >
    > Robert

    Thank you for the reference to Chapter 22. It contained a typical output of
    cupsaddsmb -v. Comparing it with what I got, the line

    Connection to failed

    should be:

    added interface...

    My smb.conf is a bit of a synthesis. The original as installed by the
    package was the heavily commented default one, so I replaced it with the one
    in man cupsaddsmb with a few extra parameters. The "hosts equiv" parameter
    came from a precedent in a HOWTO and I have removed it. It is now as
    follows:

    [global]
    netbios name = dougs_computer
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = MSHOME
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    wins support = yes
    hostname lookups = yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    hosts deny = All
    interfaces = lo eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browse list = yes
    load printers = yes
    printcap name = cups
    printing = cups

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    printer admin = root

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /etc/samba/drivers # this path holds the driver structure after \
    cupsaddsmb command (this wrap isn't in the original)
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    write list = root

    [MFC240C]
    comment = Brother MFC 240C
    printable = yes
    path = /var/spool/samba
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    printer admin = root

    I had /etc/samba/drivers in smb.conf and /etc/samba/printer (from the
    precedent) in reality, but fixing that made no difference (cupsaddsmb would
    have created drivers/,but looped before getting that far) nor did setting
    the permissions of drivers/ to 777.

    I have user security and have added a Samba password for root
    (the /root/tmp file contains root's username and password.)

    Hostname lookup doesn't seem to be a real problem under Cups, according to
    what I have found on the Web. It seems to be more of a problem for the
    Windows client.

    Should I alter the line "netbios name = dougs_computer" to agree with my
    computer's hostname, which in abbreviated form is "dougshost"? Should I
    perhaps set a separate hostname for 192.168.1.2?

    Doug.
    --
    Here lies one who meant well, tried a little, failed much
    - surely that may be his epitaph, of which he need not be ashamed.

  9. Re: Printing with Samba

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]

    > public = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    > printer admin = root
    >

    > I had /etc/samba/drivers in smb.conf and /etc/samba/printer (from the
    > precedent) in reality, but fixing that made no difference (cupsaddsmb
    > would have created drivers/,but looped before getting that far) nor did
    > setting the permissions of drivers/ to 777.
    >
    > I have user security and have added a Samba password for root
    > (the /root/tmp file contains root's username and password.)
    >
    > Hostname lookup doesn't seem to be a real problem under Cups, according to
    > what I have found on the Web. It seems to be more of a problem for the
    > Windows client.
    >
    > Should I alter the line "netbios name = dougs_computer" to agree with my
    > computer's hostname, which in abbreviated form is "dougshost"? Should I
    > perhaps set a separate hostname for 192.168.1.2?

    Well, I have partly answered my own question. Changing the Samba hostname
    to dougshost achieved nothing.

    My computer is connected by Ethernet to a router, and my wife's laptop is
    connected by wireless to the same router. The router is 192.168.1.1, and
    forces my Linux box to be 192.168.1.2 and the laptop to be 192.168.1.3
    Setting my computer to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.2
    (with /etc/hosts from the Linux from Scratch docs) got me two more lines
    from cupsaddsmb before it failed again ("tree connect failed"). Progress.

    It also blocked me from the Internet. That could be something to do with my
    firewall, or that my router became the DNS server.These ideas always come
    to mind several hours later.

    Since I have reported this backwards, I will terminate this thread here.
    start the config again from the beginning, make a diary of what I have
    tried, and give a proper Smart Questions post later, if I am stuck for more
    than 24 hours.

    One good thing about books (see my random sig below) - they don't leave us
    tearing our hair out.

    Doug.
    --
    Books are good enough in their own way; but they are
    a mighty bloodless substitute for life.

  10. Re: Printing with Samba

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > It also blocked me from the Internet. *That could be something to do with
    > my firewall, or that my router became the DNS server.These ideas always
    > come to mind several hours later.

    That was shoddy thinking on my part, trying to set the internal IP address
    with the tool for an external static address. No wonder it didn't work! I
    just can't stretch my mind to encompass the whole picture.

    Doug.
    --
    Here lies one who meant well, tried a little, failed much
    - surely that may be his epitaph, of which he need not be ashamed.
    -R.L. Stevenson.

+ Reply to Thread