ftpd - only users, not anonymous - Networking

This is a discussion on ftpd - only users, not anonymous - Networking ; I'm using ftpd BSD system (downloaded form www.debian.org ) I have created a new user for ftp connections... it works good, but the user can go croos the entire hard-disk I can't use the shadow/password, but only the old-style password ...

  1. ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    I'm using ftpd BSD system
    (downloaded form www.debian.org)

    I have created a new user for ftp connections... it works good, but the user
    can go croos the entire hard-disk

    I can't use the shadow/password, but only the old-style password in the
    password file...

    If I put the user in /etc/ftpchroot, it doesn't work anymore
    And, probable for the same reason, I can't use ftp user for anonymous
    connection

    Perhaps anyone knows something about this strange kind of problems?

  2. Re: ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    I have red the man page, but I can't really understand this comment,
    probabilly important for my problem

    ftp/bin
    This directory is required, and should contain at least a statically linked
    copy of ls(1).

    What does statically linked copy mean?

    ln /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?
    ln -s /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?
    cp /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?

  3. Re: ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    oops!

    This is the netkit ftp server. It is recommended for you to use one of its
    alternatives, such as wu-ftpd or proftpd.

    I'm sorry... I must download another kind of ftp-server

  4. Re: ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    In comp.os.linux.networking stravinskij :
    > This is the netkit ftp server. It is recommended for you to use
    > one of its alternatives, such as wu-ftpd or proftpd.

    > I'm sorry... I must download another kind of ftp-server

    Yep, please use vsftpd, it can do all you are looking for pretty
    easily.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 242: Software uses US measurements, but the OS
    is in metric...

  5. Re: ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    stravinskij wrote:
    > ftp/bin
    > This directory is required, and should contain at least a statically linked
    > copy of ls(1).
    >
    > What does statically linked copy mean?
    >
    > ln /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?
    > ln -s /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?
    > cp /bin/ls ~ftp/bin/ls ?

    "linked statically" means not linked against any shared libraries.
    Usually /bin/ls is linked against some, you may see list of shared
    libraries needed by /bin/ls using command

    ldd /bin/ls

    Some distributions (e.g. debian) have a package with statically linked
    busybox. You may install it and copy to ~ftp/bin/ls.

    --
    Rafal

  6. Re: ftpd - only users, not anonymous

    > Yep, please use vsftpd, it can do all you are looking for pretty
    > easily.

    WOW!

    perfect...thanks!

+ Reply to Thread