ip_forward and conf/*/forwarding - Networking

This is a discussion on ip_forward and conf/*/forwarding - Networking ; I have two net interfaces on my computer: eth0 and ppp0. So I can control forwarding between interfaces through special files on proc file system: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/forwarding /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0/forwarding How IP packet forwarding is changed when I put 0/1 ...

  1. ip_forward and conf/*/forwarding

    I have two net interfaces on my computer: eth0 and ppp0.
    So I can control forwarding between interfaces through special
    files on proc file system:

    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding
    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/forwarding
    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding
    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0/forwarding

    How IP packet forwarding is changed when I put 0/1 to particular
    interfaces? If I put 0 to conf/eth0/forwarding file, then forwarding
    *from* eth0 is disabled or forwarding *to* eth0 is disabled, or in both
    directions ? If I put 1 to conf/default/forwarding, then forwarding
    through eth0 will be enabled despite conf/eth0/forwarding contains 0,
    or maybe conversely: if I put 0 to conf/default/forwarding then
    forwarding through eth0 will be disabled despite conf/eth0/forwarding
    contains 1? Similar question about connection of conf/all/forwarding
    and ip_forward values with conf/eth0/forwarding and influence of them
    altogether on packet forwarding on eth0.

    --
    Rafal

  2. Re: ip_forward and conf/*/forwarding

    On Jul 15, 6:38 pm, Rafal Dabrowa wrote:
    > I have two net interfaces on my computer: eth0 and ppp0.
    > So I can control forwarding between interfaces through special
    > files on proc file system:
    >
    > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding
    > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/forwarding
    > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding
    > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0/forwarding
    >
    > How IP packet forwarding is changed when I put 0/1 to particular
    > interfaces? If I put 0 to conf/eth0/forwarding file, then forwarding
    > *from* eth0 is disabled or forwarding *to* eth0 is disabled, or in both
    > directions ? If I put 1 to conf/default/forwarding, then forwarding
    > through eth0 will be enabled despite conf/eth0/forwarding contains 0,
    > or maybe conversely: if I put 0 to conf/default/forwarding then
    > forwarding through eth0 will be disabled despite conf/eth0/forwarding
    > contains 1? Similar question about connection of conf/all/forwarding
    > and ip_forward values with conf/eth0/forwarding and influence of them
    > altogether on packet forwarding on eth0.
    >
    > --
    > Rafal

    your question was How ----
    you should read more tutorials here is some info taken from a book
    Understanding Linux Network Internals By Christian Benvenuti .

    http://books.google.com/books?id=yy7...dzpS9DbldqFvG0

    good luck

    zaher el siddik
    http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: ip_forward and conf/*/forwarding

    elsiddik wrote:
    > your question was How ----
    > you should read more tutorials here is some info taken from a book
    > Understanding Linux Network Internals By Christian Benvenuti .
    >
    > http://books.google.com/books?id=yy7...dzpS9DbldqFvG0

    Thanks.

    --
    Rafal