pppd & gprs - Networking

This is a discussion on pppd & gprs - Networking ; Hello World, I have written a client-application in C which runs as daemon and talks to a server via TCP/IP. My client is connected to the internet by a gprs-modem. Right now I just start the modem and start pppd ...

  1. pppd & gprs

    Hello World,

    I have written a client-application in C which runs as daemon and
    talks to a server via TCP/IP.

    My client is connected to the internet by a gprs-modem. Right now I
    just start the modem and start pppd (with chat). After that I can
    start the daemon which connects to the server. That is not a very good
    solution, because a gprs and/or ppp connection can break

    What is the best way to keep such a connection alive?
    How can I determine from my C-application if a gprs/ppp connection is
    alive or not?
    How can I determine if pppd is currently connecting/disconnecting?

    Any other ideas or suggestions?

    yours,
    Herwig

  2. Re: pppd & gprs

    PlutoPlanet writes:

    >Hello World,

    >I have written a client-application in C which runs as daemon and
    >talks to a server via TCP/IP.

    >My client is connected to the internet by a gprs-modem. Right now I
    >just start the modem and start pppd (with chat). After that I can
    >start the daemon which connects to the server. That is not a very good
    >solution, because a gprs and/or ppp connection can break

    >What is the best way to keep such a connection alive?
    >How can I determine from my C-application if a gprs/ppp connection is
    >alive or not?
    >How can I determine if pppd is currently connecting/disconnecting?

    >Any other ideas or suggestions?

    The company I'm working for does this (PPP over GPRS, and a TCP/IP
    client/server solution) to provide in a production environment a
    solution used by public libraries which run a branch of the
    library as a so called 'book bus' (a real bus moving around in
    town and reader can borrow books in the bus and return them
    next week again). The (UNIX-) server runs in the city computer
    centre while the client in the bus connected to it runs in XP
    having a Linux box for the PPP over GPRS.

    The easiest way in the client to detect that all is fine, is that
    the used protocol over TCP/IP is working fine.

    matthias
    --
    Matthias Apitz
    Manager Technical Support - OCLC PICA GmbH

+ Reply to Thread