help with my dbs server - Networking

This is a discussion on help with my dbs server - Networking ; Dear Group, I am trying to set up a DNS server on my linux box. Everything seems to be working fine, but I can not do nslookup. [root@vlinux etc]# service named restart Stopping named: [ OK ] Starting named: [ ...

  1. help with my dbs server

    Dear Group,

    I am trying to set up a DNS server on my linux box.

    Everything seems to be working fine, but I can not do nslookup.

    [root@vlinux etc]# service named restart
    Stopping named: [ OK ]
    Starting named: [ OK ]

    My named.conf looks like this:
    ==================
    [root@vlinux etc]# cat named.conf
    options {
    directory"/var/named";
    };

    controls {
    inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
    allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndckey"; };
    };

    #include "/etc/named.custom";
    include "/etc/rndc.key";

    zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "test.zone";
    };

    zone "localhost" IN {
    type master;
    file "test.zone";
    };

    zone "117.247.155.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    type master;
    file "test.zone";
    };
    ======================

    my test.zone is like this:
    ======================
    $TTL 1d
    test.com. IN SOA ns1.test.com (
    2004011522 ; Serial no., based on date
    21600 ; Refresh after 6 hours
    3600 ; Retry after 1 hour
    604800 ; Expire after 7 days
    3600 ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
    )
    testserver IN A 155.247.117.141
    ========================
    [root@vlinux named]# nslookup testserver
    Server: 155.247.117.142
    Address: 155.247.117.142#53

    ** server can't find testserver: NXDOMAIN

    What I did want wrong?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: help with my dbs server

    On 2007-07-05, emdproduction@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to set up a DNS server on my linux box.

    So not dbs? (see Subject

    > my test.zone is like this:
    >======================
    > $TTL 1d
    > test.com. IN SOA ns1.test.com (

    You should really not be using test.com for your domain, even if it's just
    a test or private domain.

    > 2004011522 ; Serial no., based on date

    This isn't an error, but if your serial number is really based on the
    date, you should make it based on the date you modified the zone.

    > 21600 ; Refresh after 6 hours
    > 3600 ; Retry after 1 hour
    > 604800 ; Expire after 7 days
    > 3600 ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
    > )
    > testserver IN A 155.247.117.141
    >========================
    > [root@vlinux named]# nslookup testserver
    > Server: 155.247.117.142
    > Address: 155.247.117.142#53

    nslookup looks at your /etc/resolv.conf file to figure out which domains
    to append to the end to do the lookup. If your resolv.conf isn't
    configured with a search line, this query won't work. You should try

    nslookup testserver.test.com # fix when you fix your domainname

    which will not have that problem. dig is probably the better tool for
    troubleshooting DNS anyway:

    dig testserver.test.com

    You can use @server with dig to tell it exactly which nameserver to
    query, as well.

    If you are still having trouble, check your named log files.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)