How to compile kernel? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to compile kernel? - Networking ; Hi I'm new to compiling kernels so I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to guide me through it I've run the following command to determine where the current kernel was compiled from. [root@rhel]$ ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build lrwxrwxrwx 1 ...

  1. How to compile kernel?

    Hi

    I'm new to compiling kernels so I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to
    guide me through it I've run the following command to determine where
    the current kernel was compiled from.

    [root@rhel]$ ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Mar 15 04:37 /lib/modules/2.6.9-5.ELsmp/build
    -> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-5.EL-smp-x86_64

    I've then run make menuconfig from the directory given above and made the
    desired changes to the configuration.
    When saving the configuration I get the following

    *** End of Linux kernel configuration.
    *** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.

    Is that it? I just want to make absolutely sure before running make

  2. Re: How to compile kernel?

    Fister wrote:

    > *** End of Linux kernel configuration.
    > *** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.
    >
    > Is that it? I just want to make absolutely sure before running make

    Yes, you say "make" and then (as root) "make modules_install"
    and "make install".

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366