NAT problem - Networking

This is a discussion on NAT problem - Networking ; Hi, I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router with nat enabled. With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple ...

  1. NAT problem

    Hi,
    I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router
    with nat enabled.
    With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but
    with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple page to open.

    Can any one suggest what should I do to make internet run smoothly on
    my linux behind nat enabled firewall.

    thanks

  2. Re: NAT problem

    Hello,

    nikhil a écrit :
    > I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router
    > with nat enabled.
    > With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but
    > with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple page to open.

    Have you investigated why it takes so long (and what exactly takes so
    long, as browing involves several operations at various network levels
    such as ARP resolution, DNS resolution, TCP connection, HTTP
    transaction...), for instance by capturing traffic with tcpdump,
    ethereal/wireshark or whatever ?

    > Can any one suggest what should I do to make internet run smoothly on
    > my linux behind nat enabled firewall.

    The solution seems obvious to me : disable NAT.

  3. Re: NAT problem

    On Jul 1, 6:52 am, Pascal Hambourg
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > nikhil a écrit :
    >
    > > I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router
    > > with nat enabled.
    > > With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but
    > > with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple page to open.

    > Have you investigated why it takes so long (and what exactly takes so
    > long, as browing involves several operations at various network levels
    > such as ARP resolution, DNS resolution, TCP connection, HTTP
    > transaction...), for instance by capturing traffic with tcpdump,
    > ethereal/wireshark or whatever ?
    >
    > > Can any one suggest what should I do to make internet run smoothly on
    > > my linux behind nat enabled firewall.

    > The solution seems obvious to me : disable NAT.

    Some time back I was using bit torrent client on ubuntu, download
    speed was tribally low, reason it gave was nat enabled, It is not the
    problem gentoo linux, it is the problem with all the linux destro that
    I've ever used.

    Cant disable nat as atnt provides me with only one ip, If I disable
    nat I wont be able to access internet from other computers on the
    network.

  4. Re: NAT problem

    On Jul 1, 9:53 pm, nikhil wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 6:52 am, Pascal Hambourg
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > nikhil a écrit :

    > > > I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router
    > > > with nat enabled.
    > > > With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but
    > > > with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple page to open.

    > > Have you investigated why it takes so long (and what exactly takes so
    > > long, as browing involves several operations at various network levels
    > > such as ARP resolution, DNS resolution, TCP connection, HTTP
    > > transaction...), for instance by capturing traffic with tcpdump,
    > > ethereal/wireshark or whatever ?

    > > > Can any one suggest what should I do to make internet run smoothly on
    > > > my linux behind nat enabled firewall.

    > > The solution seems obvious to me : disable NAT.

    > Some time back I was using bit torrent client on ubuntu, download
    > speed was tribally low, reason it gave was nat enabled, It is not the
    > problem gentoo linux, it is the problem with all the linux destro that
    > I've ever used.
    >
    > Cant disable nat as atnt provides me with only one ip, If I disable
    > nat I wont be able to access internet from other computers on the
    > network.

    Try to find out if there is any packet loss in network using netstat
    and other tools.

  5. Re: NAT problem

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:12:47 -0700, nikhil wrote:
    | Hi,
    | I got a desktop running Gentoo linux running behind a belkin router
    | with nat enabled.
    | With nat disables I can browse internet smoothly on my linux box, but
    | with nat enabled, it takes like 50 sec for a simple page to open.
    |
    | Can any one suggest what should I do to make internet run smoothly on
    | my linux behind nat enabled firewall.

    Oddly, I just swapped my old Netgear router for a Belkin one (went from
    802.11b to 802.11g for the laptop connection).

    I also run Gentoo.

    I enabled NAT on both routers, and don't have any problems with my
    network connectivity.

    What does your routing table look like when you do/don't have NAT
    enabled? ( use 'netstat -r' or 'route' to show this. )

    What DNS do you have configured?

    --
    Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
    Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

+ Reply to Thread