newb: load balancing - Networking

This is a discussion on newb: load balancing - Networking ; Hi, Perhaps a dumb question, but curious about load balancing/clusters. I don't know alot about networking In a large cluster is it possible for a load balancer to get overloaded itself? What is the solution, I'm assuming all requests have ...

  1. newb: load balancing

    Hi,

    Perhaps a dumb question, but curious about load balancing/clusters. I
    don't know alot about networking

    In a large cluster is it possible for a load balancer to get
    overloaded itself? What is the solution, I'm assuming all requests
    have to go through a central computer, since a web site for example,
    has a fixed IP address mapped to a domain name

  2. Re: newb: load balancing

    Am Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:10:00 -0700 schrieb dave:

    > In a large cluster is it possible for a load balancer to get
    > overloaded itself? What is the solution, I'm assuming all requests
    > have to go through a central computer, since a web site for example,
    > has a fixed IP address mapped to a domain name

    Yes and no, the IP address is used by the lb (in the most configurations),
    the lb routes the packets and it would need a lot of traffic to overload
    the lb.
    But in this case the lb could alos be in a failover setup, there are a lot
    of possibilities to set up a HA environment.

+ Reply to Thread