TCP-High Availability - Networking

This is a discussion on TCP-High Availability - Networking ; Hi all! I'm looking for solution to provide full redundancy on TCP layer. The goal is to have two servers working in some kind of cluser, sharing same IP address and able to continously operate TCP connections. My idea is ...

  1. TCP-High Availability

    Hi all!

    I'm looking for solution to provide full redundancy on TCP layer. The
    goal is to have two servers working in some kind of cluser, sharing same
    IP address and able to continously operate TCP connections.
    My idea is like the following: active, master server is responding to
    TCP, sending ACK etc, and simultenously sending confirmations to slave
    machine. If the master will crash, slave should switch to active state
    and continue on same TCP connection.

    Question: is there some ready solution ? I suspect, that some hacker
    tool for "man in the middle" attacks should work in simmilar way, but i
    didn't find anything interesting.
    Additional question: is there any way to setup connection state in
    linux TCP stack, so it will be able to continue connection ?

    best regards
    Jarek

  2. Re: TCP-High Availability

    Am Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:14:10 +0200 schrieb Jarek:

    > Hi all!
    > Question: is there some ready solution ? I suspect, that some hacker

    heartbeat, vrrpd,carp
    or
    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+high+availability

  3. Re: TCP-High Availability

    Burkhard Ott wrote:
    > Am Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:14:10 +0200 schrieb Jarek:
    >
    >> Hi all!
    >> Question: is there some ready solution ? I suspect, that some hacker

    > heartbeat, vrrpd,carp
    > or
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+high+availability

    Unfortunetely, no one from suggested solutions is able to provide HA on
    TCP level. If active server fails, all pending TCP connections will die.
    I want to keep TCP connection open. The client shouldn't see that
    something happend...

    best regards
    Jarek

  4. Re: TCP-High Availability

    Am Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:29:10 +0200 schrieb Jarek:

    > Unfortunetely, no one from suggested solutions is able to provide HA on
    > TCP level. If active server fails, all pending TCP connections will die.
    > I want to keep TCP connection open. The client shouldn't see that
    > something happend...

    Then vrrpd with syncd ist the right for you, place also a loadbalancer in
    front of the server and nobody can see if one server fails.
    (described on linux-ha.org)
    cheers

+ Reply to Thread