Red Hat Networking Problems - Networking

This is a discussion on Red Hat Networking Problems - Networking ; Hi, I've got 6 computers running Windows OS on a Linux file server network. the file server is also used as the broadband internet gateway. recently about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing problems of network failure. the problems are ...

  1. Red Hat Networking Problems

    Hi,

    I've got 6 computers running Windows OS on a Linux file server
    network. the file server is also used as the broadband internet
    gateway. recently about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing problems of
    network failure. the problems are listed below:
    1. some computers cannot access their mapped network drives on the
    linux file server.
    2. two computers cannot allow users to log in to window at all
    3. some get error messages when trying to access their emails. Error
    message; Enter Network Password...I'm new to Linux and need some
    troubleshooting tips if anyones got any...

    cheers,

    TumbZ

  2. Re: Red Hat Networking Problems

    tumbzdemahn@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got 6 computers running Windows OS

    I am sorry for you

    > the file server is also used as the broadband internet
    > gateway. recently about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing problems of
    > network failure. the problems are listed below:

    MS update/patch ?

    > 1. some computers cannot access their mapped network drives on the
    > linux file server.

    What did MS change?

    > 2. two computers cannot allow users to log in to window at all

    ? LDAP ?

    > 3. some get error messages when trying to access their emails. Error
    > message; Enter Network Password...I'm new to Linux and need some
    > troubleshooting tips if anyones got any...

    Ask MS, They must have changed something. Linux based server(s) in general
    do not just up and puke, unless there is a hardware problem. MS has a
    terrible track record for releasing a patch that just farts up their entire
    system.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: Red Hat Networking Problems

    tumbzdemahn@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got 6 computers running Windows OS on a Linux file server
    > network. the file server is also used as the broadband internet
    > gateway. recently about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing problems of
    > network failure. the problems are listed below:
    > 1. some computers cannot access their mapped network drives on the
    > linux file server.
    > 2. two computers cannot allow users to log in to window at all
    > 3. some get error messages when trying to access their emails. Error
    > message; Enter Network Password...I'm new to Linux and need some
    > troubleshooting tips if anyones got any...
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > TumbZ

    I'm afraid you need more than tips. You need help from somebody who
    knows about networking.

    In the meantime, here are a couple of clues to get you started:

    1. Check basic networking at the IP layer, i.e. check that the computers
    can see one another by IP address and that they can access the internet
    by IP address.

    2. Look at logs in /var/log/samba on your file server.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread