samba connection problem and DNS - Networking

This is a discussion on samba connection problem and DNS - Networking ; Hi, I have two windows XP machines share a samba network share as file sever from one redhat box. All these three machines share one DSL connections to internet. I noticed the samba file share will be off line when ...

  1. samba connection problem and DNS

    Hi,

    I have two windows XP machines share a samba network share as file sever
    from one redhat box.

    All these three machines share one DSL connections to internet. I noticed
    the samba file share will be off line when I have DSL internet connections
    problems.

    Any one know what might cause this problem ? Maybe due to the DNS
    disconnection when the DSL connection is off line ?

    Thanks in advance

    - Daniel

  2. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    Daniel Huang schreef:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two windows XP machines share a samba network share as file sever
    > from one redhat box.
    >
    > All these three machines share one DSL connections to internet. I
    > noticed the samba file share will be off line when I have DSL internet
    > connections problems.
    >
    > Any one know what might cause this problem ? Maybe due to the DNS
    > disconnection when the DSL connection is off line ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > - Daniel

    What kind of problem? Do you use static ip or dhcp from your router?
    Please be more specific.

  3. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    "Daniel Huang" wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two windows XP machines share a samba network share as file
    > sever from one redhat box.
    >
    > All these three machines share one DSL connections to internet. I
    > noticed the samba file share will be off line when I have DSL internet
    > connections problems.
    >
    > Any one know what might cause this problem ? Maybe due to the DNS
    > disconnection when the DSL connection is off line ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > - Daniel

    I do that too and don't have any problems at all with it. I use a
    cablemodem and it connects to the Linux box on eth0. eth1 goes to a switch
    or hub and my XP machines connect that way. I prefer it this way as the
    Linux box can now be a server and/or firewall, then the Linux machine
    forwards the Internet to the two XP boxes, they connect with all network
    settings on automatic. I use firestarter firewall to share the Internet
    that way and to act as a firewall. There are much better firewalls out
    there but firestarter is so darned easy to setup with it's GUI that you
    pretty much have to have no brain at all to mess it up.

    Plus I can control my network computers that way as well, If I wanted XP
    box #2 offline, that is easy to do. I have folders shared on my XP machines
    as well as directories shared on my Linux box with samba and have no such
    problems at all, all of the sharers show up in Network Places. The samba is
    independent of the Internet connection so they really should not interact
    in any way, and they don't. From my XP machine I can see and use my Linux
    shares as well as my own shares and he shares on my GF's XP computer.

    What kind of problem are you having and what is your network setup like?
    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at ohmster dot com

  4. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    In news:Xns995CE53CAEE0EMyBigKitty@194.177.96.26,
    Ohmster wrote:

    > I do that too and don't have any problems at all with it. I use a
    > cablemodem and it connects to the Linux box on eth0. eth1 goes to a
    > switch or hub and my XP machines connect that way. I prefer it this
    > way as the Linux box can now be a server and/or firewall, then the
    > Linux machine forwards the Internet to the two XP boxes, they connect
    > with all network settings on automatic. I use firestarter firewall to
    > share the Internet that way and to act as a firewall.

    May I ask you please to post the results of "ifconfig -a" and "route -n", as
    well as the iptables ruleset you use to accomplish this? It's the
    configuration that I think I would like to use here.

  5. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    "Patrick" wrote in

    > In news:Xns995CE53CAEE0EMyBigKitty@194.177.96.26,
    > Ohmster wrote:
    >
    >> I do that too and don't have any problems at all with it. I use a
    >> cablemodem and it connects to the Linux box on eth0. eth1 goes to a
    >> switch or hub and my XP machines connect that way. I prefer it this
    >> way as the Linux box can now be a server and/or firewall, then the
    >> Linux machine forwards the Internet to the two XP boxes, they connect
    >> with all network settings on automatic. I use firestarter firewall to
    >> share the Internet that way and to act as a firewall.

    > May I ask you please to post the results of "ifconfig -a" and "route
    > -n", as well as the iptables ruleset you use to accomplish this? It's
    > the configuration that I think I would like to use here.

    Wow, you guys don't kid around. I posted this exactly 35 minutes ago and
    already there is an eager audience for the juicy details. LOL!

    Sure, here ya go.

    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:7D:9A:0D:0C
    inet addr:192.168.15.100 Bcast:192.168.15.255
    Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:7dff:fe9a:d0c/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:2344353215 (2.1 GiB) TX bytes:296992665 (283.2 MiB)
    Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe000

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:04:26:A4:62
    inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:4ff:fe26:a462/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:121511 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:236693645 (225.7 MiB) TX bytes:2773629622 (2.5 GiB)
    Interrupt:9 Base address:0xa000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3087929 (2.9 MiB) TX bytes:3087929 (2.9 MiB)

    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$

    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    eth1
    192.168.15.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    eth1
    0.0.0.0 192.168.15.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
    eth0
    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$

    "as well as the iptables ruleset"
    ....sigh. Look, iptables, ipv4 forwarding and masquerading, as well as a
    DHCP server to "hand out" IP addresses to all of the computers on my home
    LAN is complicated and a pain in the ass. I could spend days/weeks/months
    on this manually, or just use the "easy out" method of downloading and
    installing firestarter. It "just works" right out of the box. The GUI
    runs in xwindows and the wizard will have all of this done for you in
    like 5 minutes. You can also block just about anything or anyone as well
    as port forward and things of that nature. firestarter is what made the
    ruleset, it would take me forever to do that but if you like and if it
    will fit in here, I will post it for you. I also give my LAN computers
    names like missy and paula and their names resolve in my /etc/hosts file.
    My cablemodem uses DHCP and feeds that stuff right to the Fedora Core 6
    box right into eth0. eth1 goes to a hub, now I use a high speed switch
    because I got one for free and does it ever rock. I can move a 2Gb file
    from machine to machine in like 2 minutes, rather than the hour it used
    to take. The hub/switch has 8 ports on it, only 2 of them are used right
    now, but when I work on computers, i can plug just about anything into my
    switch and as long as I have the network settings on automatic, it "just
    works" and I am on the net. For the samba sharing to work, I specify my
    workgroup as well.

    A lot of serious Linux users "poo poo" firestarter, it is like trying t
    make serious art with Crayola Crayons, or at least that is the impression
    I get around here but works it does, does it very well, and will be
    working in a matter of just a few minutes.

    The iptables rule set formatting is going to be word wrapped into
    oblivion here so I will post it but if you want to see it in it's true
    format, where everything lines up, then I have posted it on the Fedora
    box because it also runs apache:
    http://www.ohmster.com/~ohmster/linux/iptablerules.txt
    Otherwise here are the iptables rule sets:

    [root@ohmster ~]# iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT tcp -- 192.168.15.1 anywhere tcp flags:!
    FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
    ACCEPT udp -- 192.168.15.1 anywhere
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    10/sec burst 5
    DROP all -- anywhere 255.255.255.255
    DROP all -- anywhere 192.168.15.255
    DROP all -- 255.255.255.255 anywhere
    DROP all -- anywhere 0.0.0.0
    DROP all -- anywhere anywhere state
    INVALID
    LSI all -f anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    10/min burst 5
    INBOUND all -- anywhere anywhere
    INBOUND all -- anywhere 192.168.0.1
    INBOUND all -- anywhere ohmster.com
    INBOUND all -- anywhere 192.168.0.255
    LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level
    info prefix `Unknown Input'

    Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    10/sec burst 5
    TCPMSS tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere missy tcp dptms
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere missy udp dptms
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere missy tcp dpt:rfa
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere missy udp dpt:rfa
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere missy tcp dpt:nsws
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere missy udp dpt:nsws
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere missy tcp dpt:4552
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere missy udp dpt:4552
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere missy tcp dpt:llm-
    pass
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere missy udp dpt:llm-
    pass
    OUTBOUND all -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 192.168.0.0/24 state
    RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 192.168.0.0/24 state
    RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level
    info prefix `Unknown Forward'

    Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT tcp -- ohmster.com 192.168.15.1 tcp
    dpt:domain
    ACCEPT udp -- ohmster.com 192.168.15.1 udp
    dpt:domain
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    DROP all -- 255.255.255.255 anywhere
    DROP all -- anywhere 0.0.0.0
    DROP all -- anywhere anywhere state
    INVALID
    OUTBOUND all -- anywhere anywhere
    OUTBOUND all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level
    info prefix `Unknown Output'

    Chain INBOUND (4 references)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state
    RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state
    RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT all -- missy anywhere
    ACCEPT all -- paula anywhere
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:ssh
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    dpts:ftp-data:ftp
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp
    dpts:ftp-data:ftp
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:http
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dptop3
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dptop3
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:smtp
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:smtp
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:517
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:talk
    ACCEPT tcp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere tcp dpt:ipp
    ACCEPT udp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere udp dpt:ipp
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    dpt:finger
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp
    dpt:finger
    ACCEPT tcp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere tcp
    dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
    ACCEPT udp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere udp
    dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
    ACCEPT tcp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere tcp
    dpt:microsoft-ds
    ACCEPT udp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere udp
    dpt:microsoft-ds
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    dpt:https
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp
    dpt:https
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:smtp
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:smtp
    ACCEPT tcp -- missy anywhere tcp dpt:ndmp
    ACCEPT udp -- missy anywhere udp dpt:ndmp
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:dnp
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:dnp
    ACCEPT tcp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere tcp dpt:7741
    ACCEPT udp -- 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere udp dpt:7741
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    dpt:submission
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp
    dpt:submission
    ACCEPT tcp -- missy anywhere tcp dpt:snmp
    ACCEPT udp -- missy anywhere udp dpt:snmp
    LSI all -- anywhere anywhere

    Chain LOG_FILTER (5 references)
    target prot opt source destination

    Chain LSI (2 references)
    target prot opt source destination
    LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix
    `Inbound '
    DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
    LOG tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix
    `Inbound '
    DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST
    LOG icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-
    request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
    DROP icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-
    request
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
    DROP all -- anywhere anywhere

    Chain LSO (0 references)
    target prot opt source destination
    LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Outbound '
    REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with
    icmp-port-unreachable

    Chain OUTBOUND (3 references)
    [root@ohmster ~]#

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  6. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    Thank you all for the response. The configuration is as following:

    ISP: Fix IP DSL Line connected to DSL modem with DHCP capability
    Lan: 12 Port switch uplinked to DSL modem
    XP/Linux: All using wired 10/100M ethernet connection to this 12 Port switch

    So when every the ISP is offline or I unplug the DSL phone line, the Linux
    samba share couldn't be accessable by the 2 windows XP boxes. Once the ISP
    is back on line the Samba on linux is ok.

    During the DSL ISP outage, The samba access was fine before I restarted my
    XP computers, but the samba problem occurred after i restarted the XP boxes.
    Though I can still ping the Linux samba box from the two XP clients

    I googled around and seems quite some people have same problem, and it seems
    to be the DNS related problem when the DSL connection is off line. And samba
    seems to use DSL's DNS server for address resolving.

    I just enabled the Wins support on this Linux box, will give it another try
    by unplug the DSL phone line.

    Any other suggestions ?

    Thanks

    "Ohmster" wrote in message
> [...]

    > `Inbound '
    > DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    > flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
    > LOG tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    > flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix
    > `Inbound '
    > DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
    > flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST
    > LOG icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-
    > request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
    > DROP icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-
    > request
    > LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    > 5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
    > DROP all -- anywhere anywhere
    >
    > Chain LSO (0 references)
    > target prot opt source destination
    > LOG_FILTER all -- anywhere anywhere
    > LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg
    > 5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Outbound '
    > REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with

  7. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    Daniel Huang schreef:
    > Thank you all for the response. The configuration is as following:
    >
    > ISP: Fix IP DSL Line connected to DSL modem with DHCP capability
    > Lan: 12 Port switch uplinked to DSL modem
    > XP/Linux: All using wired 10/100M ethernet connection to this 12 Port switch
    >
    > So when every the ISP is offline or I unplug the DSL phone line, the Linux
    > samba share couldn't be accessable by the 2 windows XP boxes. Once the ISP
    > is back on line the Samba on linux is ok.
    >
    > During the DSL ISP outage, The samba access was fine before I restarted my
    > XP computers, but the samba problem occurred after i restarted the XP boxes.
    > Though I can still ping the Linux samba box from the two XP clients
    >
    > I googled around and seems quite some people have same problem, and it seems
    > to be the DNS related problem when the DSL connection is off line. And samba
    > seems to use DSL's DNS server for address resolving.
    >
    > I just enabled the Wins support on this Linux box, will give it another try
    > by unplug the DSL phone line.
    >
    > Any other suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe you should using static ip for each machine and turn off DHCP

  8. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:51:13 -0400, Daniel Huang wrote:

    > I googled around and seems quite some people have same problem, and it
    > seems to be the DNS related problem when the DSL connection is off line.
    > And samba seems to use DSL's DNS server for address resolving.

    Simple enough to test... either connect the share by IP address rather
    than URL or add the systems to each others hosts files. If you no longer
    have the issue then it probably is a DNS issue. If not something else is
    going on.

  9. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    the simplest test is to comment out two DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf on
    the Linux box with samba share, both XP will have samba connection problems.

    But if I add the hosts entry in /etc/hosts on Linux box, the samba will be
    accessible by both XP boxes.

    "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.06.28.21.36.15.519265@you.now...
    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:51:13 -0400, Daniel Huang wrote:
    >
    >> I googled around and seems quite some people have same problem, and it
    >> seems to be the DNS related problem when the DSL connection is off line.
    >> And samba seems to use DSL's DNS server for address resolving.

    > Simple enough to test... either connect the share by IP address rather
    > than URL or add the systems to each others hosts files. If you no longer
    > have the issue then it probably is a DNS issue. If not something else is
    > going on.

  10. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    I enable the wins support on Linux box, raised the OS level > 32 and change
    "name resolve order" to " wins lmhosts bcast"

    This seemed to force samba to use Wins instead of DNS on address resolving.

    Now the samba access is fine without DNS entry on Linux from two XP boxes on
    the same subnet.

    "Daniel Huang" wrote in message
    > the simplest test is to comment out two DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf on
    > the Linux box with samba share, both XP will have samba connection
    > problems.
    >
    > But if I add the hosts entry in /etc/hosts on Linux box, the samba will be
    > accessible by both XP boxes.
    >
    > "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.06.28.21.36.15.519265@you.now...
    >> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:51:13 -0400, Daniel Huang wrote:
    >>
    >>> I googled around and seems quite some people have same problem, and it
    >>> seems to be the DNS related problem when the DSL connection is off line.
    >>> And samba seems to use DSL's DNS server for address resolving.

    >> Simple enough to test... either connect the share by IP address rather
    >> than URL or add the systems to each others hosts files. If you no longer
    >> have the issue then it probably is a DNS issue. If not something else is
    >> going on.

  11. Re: samba connection problem and DNS

    FYI.

    Samba Network browsing capabilities require NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    NetBIOS-based networking uses broadcast (UDP) messaging to accomplish browse
    list management. Without NetBIOS and WINS as the primary method for TCP/IP
    hostname resolution, other methods such as static files (/etc/hosts) or DNS,
    must be used.

    A domain master browser collates the browse lists from local master browsers
    on all subnets so that browsing can occur between workgroups and subnets.
    Also, the domain master browser should preferably be the local master
    browser for its own subnet.

    >I enable the wins support on Linux box, raised the OS level > 32 and change
    >"name resolve order" to " wins lmhosts bcast"
    >
    > This seemed to force samba to use Wins instead of DNS on address
    > resolving.
    >
    > Now the samba access is fine without DNS entry on Linux from two XP boxes
    > on the same subnet.
    >
    > "Daniel Huang" wrote in message
    >> the simplest test is to comment out two DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf
    >> on the Linux box with samba share, both XP will have samba connection
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> But if I add the hosts entry in /etc/hosts on Linux box, the samba will
    >> be accessible by both XP boxes.
    >>
    >> "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2007.06.28.21.36.15.519265@you.now...

    >>> Simple enough to test... either connect the share by IP address rather
    >>> than URL or add the systems to each others hosts files. If you no longer
    >>> have the issue then it probably is a DNS issue. If not something else is
    >>> going on.

+ Reply to Thread