OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !!! TIA - Networking

This is a discussion on OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !!! TIA - Networking ; Hi I am trying to learn Networking. I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem to do it. The following is my situation. My LAN ( 2 winXP and 1 Linux) runnig behind a Linksys ...

  1. OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !!! TIA

    Hi
    I am trying to learn Networking.
    I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem to do it.

    The following is my situation.

    My LAN ( 2 winXP and 1 Linux) runnig behind a Linksys WRT54G router
    The router is setup also for DynDNS

    I am Stiil a Linux Newbie so I am trying to set up running OpenVPN on
    the winXP 1st. Then try it with Linux.
    Also:
    I have a separate XP box Setup with DialUp only. I am trying to use
    this as a TEST Client.

    I've tried to follow the following tutorial
    http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=605499&rl=1
    but I must have been misunderstood something;

    1. I installed and configured One of my LAN winXP as The VPN server.
    created the config files, configured the Router/re...Tutorial
    I don't understand the meaning of the following in the Tutorial.
    regarding "configuring the Server":
    "You will only need to change
    the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the server.ovpn file, "
    a. Which IP is this??
    b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????
    The DNS Server IP in the router is changing oftern.

    2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???

    I created the Client Config files In the XP Server box. Copied them to
    the DialUP box. But I can't conect either.

    I don't know what am I doing wrong. I sure would appreciate a helping
    hand.

    TIA
    Best regards
    Charles

  2. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !!! TIA

    Hi Charles,

    I've not set this up myself but when reading over the site you
    referenced, I saw this:

    "You'll need to edit the client config files in order to enter the
    address of your DynDNS.org account (or other similar service), unless
    you have a static IP address from your ISP.

    These configuration files are going to be placed in the config directory
    (C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config) of each corresponding computer. Each
    PC is only going to need one config file. "

    The DNS address you configure is the info you received from DynDNS.

    Not sure if this helps you though.

    Also theoretically you SHOULD be able to use VPN over dial-up but it
    will be a large load on the connection.

    Chris

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to learn Networking.
    > I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem to do it.
    >
    > The following is my situation.
    >
    > My LAN ( 2 winXP and 1 Linux) runnig behind a Linksys WRT54G router
    > The router is setup also for DynDNS
    >
    > I am Stiil a Linux Newbie so I am trying to set up running OpenVPN on
    > the winXP 1st. Then try it with Linux.
    > Also:
    > I have a separate XP box Setup with DialUp only. I am trying to use
    > this as a TEST Client.
    >
    > I've tried to follow the following tutorial
    > http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=605499&rl=1
    > but I must have been misunderstood something;
    >
    > 1. I installed and configured One of my LAN winXP as The VPN server.
    > created the config files, configured the Router/re...Tutorial
    > I don't understand the meaning of the following in the Tutorial.
    > regarding "configuring the Server":
    > "You will only need to change
    > the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the server.ovpn file, "
    > a. Which IP is this??
    > b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????
    > The DNS Server IP in the router is changing oftern.
    >
    > 2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???
    >
    > I created the Client Config files In the XP Server box. Copied them to
    > the DialUP box. But I can't conect either.
    >
    > I don't know what am I doing wrong. I sure would appreciate a helping
    > hand.
    >
    > TIA
    > Best regards
    > Charles

  3. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !!! TIA

    Thank you for your reply

    I have not been able to get further with this. I either misunderstand
    the tutorials or doing something wrong in configuring this.

    >Hi Charles,
    >
    >I've not set this up myself but when reading over the site you
    >referenced, I saw this:
    >
    >"You'll need to edit the client config files in order to enter the
    >address of your DynDNS.org account (or other similar service), unless

    My understandig that the above being my DNS Host-Name (ie.
    "charles.homelinux.com"
    >you have a static IP address from your ISP.
    >
    >These configuration files are going to be placed in the config directory
    >(C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config) of each corresponding computer. Each
    >PC is only going to need one config file. "
    >
    >The DNS address you configure is the info you received from DynDNS.
    >
    >Not sure if this helps you though.
    >
    >Also theoretically you SHOULD be able to use VPN over dial-up but it
    >will be a large load on the connection.

    Reading further on the subject It is my understanding that the clients
    in the LAN can also conect

    At the moment I am at a complete loss as to where I am screwing things
    up.

    Chales

    >Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I am trying to learn Networking.
    >> I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem to do it.
    >>
    >> The following is my situation.
    >>
    >> My LAN ( 2 winXP and 1 Linux) runnig behind a Linksys WRT54G router
    >> The router is setup also for DynDNS
    >>
    >> I am Stiil a Linux Newbie so I am trying to set up running OpenVPN on
    >> the winXP 1st. Then try it with Linux.
    >> Also:
    >> I have a separate XP box Setup with DialUp only. I am trying to use
    >> this as a TEST Client.
    >>
    >> I've tried to follow the following tutorial
    >> http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=605499&rl=1
    >> but I must have been misunderstood something;
    >>
    >> 1. I installed and configured One of my LAN winXP as The VPN server.
    >> created the config files, configured the Router/re...Tutorial
    >> I don't understand the meaning of the following in the Tutorial.
    >> regarding "configuring the Server":
    >> "You will only need to change
    >> the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the server.ovpn file, "
    >> a. Which IP is this??
    >> b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????
    >> The DNS Server IP in the router is changing oftern.
    >>
    >> 2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???
    >>
    >> I created the Client Config files In the XP Server box. Copied them to
    >> the DialUP box. But I can't conect either.
    >>
    >> I don't know what am I doing wrong. I sure would appreciate a helping
    >> hand.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Best regards
    >> Charles