Can't get more than one ssh login at a time - Networking

This is a discussion on Can't get more than one ssh login at a time - Networking ; I seem to have hit one of those "No way through" problems again. I have a server on campus to which I have two access paths, that superficially seem to be almost identical. One is from a computer on the ...

  1. Can't get more than one ssh login at a time

    I seem to have hit one of those "No way through" problems again.
    I have a server on campus to which I have two access paths, that
    superficially seem to be almost identical. One is from a computer
    on the same subnet, and from that I can log in via ssh in separate
    terminal windows as many times at once as I want.

    The other is via a (static IP) DSL connection from home. Here I can
    only log in once, and get "Connection refused" if I try to do it
    a second time (or even if I log out amd try again within a few minutes).

    The two satellite machines are pretty much identical, running the same
    ssh. As I understand it, DSL should impose no restrictions, and I can't
    see anything in sshd_config that might be causing it. I'd appreciate
    any insight.

    Further, I can't seem to persuade sshd to give me any debug messages
    (in /var/log/messages). I've set Loglevel in sshd_config to DEBUG,
    and added "auth.*" to the end of the '/var/log/messages' line in syslog.conf.
    I still get nothing but the usual login and logout messages in the log file.
    What am I missing? How can I get it to tell me *why* it is rejecting
    logins?

    TIA
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  2. Re: Can't get more than one ssh login at a time

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:43:20 -0700, Pete wrote:

    > I have a server on campus to which I have two access paths, that
    > superficially seem to be almost identical. One is from a computer on
    > the same subnet, and from that I can log in via ssh in separate terminal
    > windows as many times at once as I want.
    >
    > The other is via a (static IP) DSL connection from home. Here I can
    > only log in once, and get "Connection refused" if I try to do it a
    > second time (or even if I log out amd try again within a few minutes).

    Have you asked your network administrator if there are connection limits
    for external IP addresses set on the campus firewall (eg. iptables
    connlimit/iplimit)?

  3. Re: Can't get more than one ssh login at a time

    In article ,
    Snowbat wrote:

    >> The other is via a (static IP) DSL connection from home. Here I can
    >> only log in once, and get "Connection refused" if I try to do it a
    >> second time (or even if I log out amd try again within a few minutes).

    >Have you asked your network administrator if there are connection limits
    >for external IP addresses set on the campus firewall (eg. iptables
    >connlimit/iplimit)?

    Hmm. A possibility I guess (though I would have no idea why...)
    I'll ask tomorrow. Thanks.
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  4. Re: Can't get more than one ssh login at a time

    In article ,
    I wrote:

    >I seem to have hit one of those "No way through" problems again.
    >I have a server on campus to which I have two access paths, that
    >superficially seem to be almost identical. One is from a computer
    >on the same subnet, and from that I can log in via ssh in separate
    >terminal windows as many times at once as I want.
    >
    >The other is via a (static IP) DSL connection from home. Here I can
    >only log in once, and get "Connection refused" if I try to do it
    >a second time (or even if I log out amd try again within a few minutes).
    >
    >The two satellite machines are pretty much identical, running the same
    >ssh.

    Ehh...my bad... The two ssh's were *not* the same! I thought I'd
    checked, but the one on my home box was an older (1.2.26) version.
    Replaced it with OpenSSH and things are *much* better!

    Sorry 'bout that.
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

+ Reply to Thread