adsl usb - Networking

This is a discussion on adsl usb - Networking ; how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?...

  1. adsl usb

    how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet
    connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?

  2. Re: adsl usb

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:14:47 +0000, seeds wrote:

    > how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet
    > connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?

    Are you sure you want to do this? USB modems suck big time - they
    are unreliable and consume resources in your PC. Any particular reason
    why you don't want to use your Ethernet port instead?

  3. Re: adsl usb

    On 2007-06-24, seeds wrote:

    > how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet
    > connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?

    You just have to install the correct driver, unless it's recognised by your
    system.

    Do you have a modem that has both connections? Weird, that doesn't make much
    sense...

    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: adsl usb

    In article <8p53l4-sis.ln1@whisper.very.softly>,
    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >On 2007-06-24, seeds wrote:
    >
    >> how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet
    >> connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?

    >Do you have a modem that has both connections? Weird, that doesn't make much
    >sense...

    The one that I've just been supplied with (a "Westell") has both,
    though I can see no reason to use other than the RJ45 connector.

    [Gonna have to get a router sometime. Any recommendations? (~4 ports)
    Trying to decide whether it's worth getting a Wireless one, for the
    sake of my occasionally used old laptop or future possibilities...]

    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  5. Re: adsl usb

    Pete wrote:
    > In article <8p53l4-sis.ln1@whisper.very.softly>,
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>On 2007-06-24, seeds wrote:
    >>
    >>> how can i hook up my adsl modem using the usb instead of the ethernet
    >>> connection? the modem is a netopis cayman 3300 series?

    >>Do you have a modem that has both connections? Weird, that doesn't make much
    >>sense...
    >>

    > The one that I've just been supplied with (a "Westell") has both,
    > though I can see no reason to use other than the RJ45 connector.
    >
    > [Gonna have to get a router sometime. Any recommendations? (~4 ports)
    > Trying to decide whether it's worth getting a Wireless one, for the
    > sake of my occasionally used old laptop or future possibilities...]
    >
    > -- Pete --

    Why a router rather than just a switch or hub? If the Westell is a
    6100 then it's also a router.

    Jerry

  6. Re: adsl usb

    In article ,
    Jerry Peters wrote:
    >Pete wrote:
    >>
    >> [Gonna have to get a router sometime. Any recommendations? (~4 ports)
    >> Trying to decide whether it's worth getting a Wireless one, for the
    >> sake of my occasionally used old laptop or future possibilities...]
    >>
    >> -- Pete --

    >Why a router rather than just a switch or hub? If the Westell is a
    >6100 then it's also a router.

    Unless I'm way off base, I don't think a hub works... I have a single
    (static) IP from my DSL supplier, and I want to share that among 3 or 4
    hosts. A simple hub won't do the address translation required, but I
    was looking, for example, at the "Belkin Wireless G" manual, and it
    provides NAT to do what I need. [Nicely written manual BTW -- has slanted
    me well in favour of that box at the moment.]

    Dunno the model of my Westell [can't be bothered to look at its underside (:-)]
    but it's not a router -- only one RJ45 conector. Could have paid extra
    for a combo modem/router, but I decided to leave options open for now.

    -- Pete --

    --
    "I love the smell of scorched lame duck in the morning..."
    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  7. Re: adsl usb

    Pete wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jerry Peters wrote:
    >>Pete wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [Gonna have to get a router sometime. Any recommendations? (~4 ports)
    >>> Trying to decide whether it's worth getting a Wireless one, for the
    >>> sake of my occasionally used old laptop or future possibilities...]
    >>>
    >>> -- Pete --

    >>Why a router rather than just a switch or hub? If the Westell is a
    >>6100 then it's also a router.
    >>

    > Unless I'm way off base, I don't think a hub works... I have a single
    > (static) IP from my DSL supplier, and I want to share that among 3 or 4
    > hosts. A simple hub won't do the address translation required, but I
    > was looking, for example, at the "Belkin Wireless G" manual, and it
    > provides NAT to do what I need. [Nicely written manual BTW -- has slanted
    > me well in favour of that box at the moment.]
    >
    > Dunno the model of my Westell [can't be bothered to look at its underside (:-)]
    > but it's not a router -- only one RJ45 conector. Could have paid extra
    > for a combo modem/router, but I decided to leave options open for now.
    >
    > -- Pete --

    A 6100 has a single USB and a single RJ45, believe me it's a router, I
    have one in the basement connected to a port on the network hub. It
    does NAT, has a modifiable firewall, and a DHCP server. Just
    because it has only 1 port doesn't preclude it from being a router.

    Jerry

  8. Re: adsl usb

    In article ,
    Jerry Peters wrote:
    >Pete wrote:
    >>
    >> Dunno the model of my Westell [can't be bothered to look at its underside (:-)]
    >> but it's not a router -- only one RJ45 conector. Could have paid extra
    >> for a combo modem/router, but I decided to leave options open for now.
    >>
    >> -- Pete --

    >A 6100 has a single USB and a single RJ45, believe me it's a router, I
    >have one in the basement connected to a port on the network hub. It
    >does NAT, has a modifiable firewall, and a DHCP server. Just
    >because it has only 1 port doesn't preclude it from being a router.

    Seems kind of odd -- that they'd give you all the router capability
    and then make you buy a hub to use it! (:-/) (The Belkin I was
    looking at gives you four ports -- after that you can expand it with
    a hub.)

    Anyhow, I *did* look at the label on the bottom of my Westell, and
    it's a 2110. So it's just a modem...

    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

+ Reply to Thread