"noname" in router network devices lists - Networking

This is a discussion on "noname" in router network devices lists - Networking ; Folks I have 2 Linux machines (1 Ubuntu, 1 Fedora Core 6) and 2 XP boxes connected to a ADSL router with builtin DHCP server. In the router network devices list the XP machine names show up fine but the ...

  1. "noname" in router network devices lists

    Folks

    I have 2 Linux machines (1 Ubuntu, 1 Fedora Core 6) and 2 XP boxes connected to a ADSL router with
    builtin DHCP server.

    In the router network devices list the XP machine names show up fine but the 2 Linux boxes show as
    "noname", but they do have the correct MAC and IP address.

    I have used the network tool to change the machine name on both Linux boxes.
    On the ubuntu box I also confirmed that the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts are correct, which they
    are. I cant find these files on the fedora machine.

    How can I propogate the machine name from the Linux boxes?

    TIA - Adam

  2. Re: "noname" in router network devices lists

    Adam Lipscombe wrote:
    > Folks
    >

    > I have 2 Linux machines (1 Ubuntu, 1 Fedora Core 6) and 2 XP boxes
    > connected to a ADSL router with builtin DHCP server.
    >
    > In the router network devices list the XP machine names show up fine but
    > the 2 Linux boxes show as "noname", but they do have the correct MAC and
    > IP address.
    >
    > I have used the network tool to change the machine name on both Linux
    > boxes.
    > On the ubuntu box I also confirmed that the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts
    > are correct, which they are. I cant find these files on the fedora machine.
    >

    > How can I propogate the machine name from the Linux boxes?
    >

    > TIA - Adam

    Your file /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf needs to include the line:

    send host name "bluebird"

    or whatever the name of your host is. At least that is the location of
    the file on my (Debian and Ubuntu) systems.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread