How to find which program is uploading to internet? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to find which program is uploading to internet? - Networking ; Hello, In my Gkrellm window I see that sometimes I'm transferring a lot of KB/ s to the internet. How can I find out which program/process is doing this uploading? Thank you, Tom...

  1. How to find which program is uploading to internet?

    Hello,

    In my Gkrellm window I see that sometimes I'm transferring a lot of KB/
    s to the internet.
    How can I find out which program/process is doing this uploading?

    Thank you,

    Tom

  2. Re: How to find which program is uploading to internet?

    vatbier@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > In my Gkrellm window I see that sometimes I'm transferring a lot of KB/
    > s to the internet.
    > How can I find out which program/process is doing this uploading?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Tom

    netstat -p

    should do a good job, and if you have reason to think it's
    tcp traffic you can reduce the junk in the output by adding
    the t option

    netstat -pt

    Mark

  3. Re: How to find which program is uploading to internet?

    Mark wrote:
    > netstat -p
    >
    > should do a good job, and if you have reason to think it's
    > tcp traffic you can reduce the junk in the output by adding
    > the t option
    >
    > netstat -pt
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks, that helps.
    mlnet (mldonkey) reports that it is uploading at 6.6KB/s but Gkrellm
    shows that upload rate is +-9KB/s.
    I was worried that something else might be uploading to the internet.
    The output of "netstat -pt" shows mainly mlnet.

    I see lines like:
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign
    Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 d54C52503.access.tele:45031 dsl88-244-46371.ttnet.:
    4651 ESTABLISHED 7662/mlnet

    But I can't see what is upload and what is download, right?

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread