How do I telnet from windows pc to linux .. - Networking

This is a discussion on How do I telnet from windows pc to linux .. - Networking ; I'm looking for a bare bones network setup. Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is using linux ubuntu. Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs router. ...

  1. How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    I'm looking for a bare bones network setup.

    Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is
    using linux ubuntu.

    Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs
    router.
    The linux box uses ethernet card and connects with cable to the
    router, and the windows xp uses wireless card.

    Right now the router uses automatic configuration DHCP.

    What is the easiest way to set things up so I can telnet from my
    windows pc
    to the linux box ? Anybody know what steps have to be taken ?

    I think I have to somehow give a static ip address to the linux box
    but
    am not sure how to do this.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    qjohnny2000@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm looking for a bare bones network setup.
    >
    > Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is
    > using linux ubuntu.
    >
    > Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs
    > router.
    > The linux box uses ethernet card and connects with cable to the
    > router, and the windows xp uses wireless card.
    >
    > Right now the router uses automatic configuration DHCP.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to set things up so I can telnet from my
    > windows pc
    > to the linux box ? Anybody know what steps have to be taken ?

    Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    passwords travel unencrypted over the network; better to install
    openssh-server on it and login from your windows machine using an ssh
    client - "PuTTY" is a popular and zero cost windows ssh client.

    > I think I have to somehow give a static ip address to the linux box
    > but
    > am not sure how to do this.

    Pick an IP address for the Linux box out of range of the pool of IP
    addresses used my your router for dynamically allocated IP addresses but
    still within range of your local netmask; get the MAC address of your
    Linux box ("ifconfig eth0"), tell the DHCP server on the router to
    allocate your fixed IP address to that MAC address.

    Robert

    > Thanks.

  3. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > qjohnny2000@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a bare bones network setup.
    >>
    >> Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is
    >> using linux ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs
    >> router.
    >> The linux box uses ethernet card and connects with cable to the
    >> router, and the windows xp uses wireless card.
    >>
    >> Right now the router uses automatic configuration DHCP.
    >>
    >> What is the easiest way to set things up so I can telnet from my
    >> windows pc
    >> to the linux box ? Anybody know what steps have to be taken ?

    > Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    > passwords travel unencrypted over the network; better to install
    > openssh-server on it and login from your windows machine using an ssh
    > client - "PuTTY" is a popular and zero cost windows ssh client.
    >
    >> I think I have to somehow give a static ip address to the linux box
    >> but
    >> am not sure how to do this.

    > Pick an IP address for the Linux box out of range of the pool of IP
    > addresses used my your router for dynamically allocated IP addresses but
    > still within range of your local netmask; get the MAC address of your
    > Linux box ("ifconfig eth0"), tell the DHCP server on the router to
    > allocate your fixed IP address to that MAC address.

    I do not think the WRT54GS will allow assignment based on MAC address as long as you use the
    standard firmware. My WRT54G does not. However, once an IP address has been assigned by the WRT54GS,
    it will continue assigning the same one to that hardware (MAC) address. Once you have connected and
    get the address from ifconfig, it effectively becomes a static address without having to jump
    through the hoops of getting all the parts needed.

    Larry

  4. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    On Jun 20, 4:34 pm, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > qjohnny2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a bare bones network setup.

    > > Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is
    > > using linux ubuntu.

    > > Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs
    > > router.
    > > The linux box uses ethernet card and connects with cable to the
    > > router, and the windows xp uses wireless card.

    > > Right now the router uses automatic configuration DHCP.

    > > What is the easiest way to set things up so I can telnet from my
    > > windows pc
    > > to the linux box ? Anybody know what steps have to be taken ?

    > Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    > passwords travel unencrypted over the network; better to install
    > openssh-server on it and login from your windows machine using an ssh
    > client - "PuTTY" is a popular and zero cost windows ssh client.
    >

    > > I think I have to somehow give a static ip address to the linux box
    > > but
    > > am not sure how to do this.

    > Pick an IP address for the Linux box out of range of the pool of IP
    > addresses used my your router for dynamically allocated IP addresses but
    > still within range of your local netmask; get the MAC address of your
    > Linux box ("ifconfig eth0"), tell the DHCP server on the router to
    > allocate your fixed IP address to that MAC address.
    >
    > Robert
    >

    > > Thanks.

    I know my linux box is 192.168.1.100 - I try to telnet to it and get
    connection refused.
    I can ping it though.
    I have the inet package installed.
    For some reason ubuntu linux is not allowing port 23 to be open. I
    don't know how to
    open it.
    As well "telnet localhost" fails on linux box fails with connection
    refused...
    I can't hope to get telnet working from pc if the linux box can't even
    telnet to itself.

    I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    get connection refused.

  5. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    steveandleyla@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 4:34 pm, Robert Harris
    > wrote:
    >> qjohnny2...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a bare bones network setup.
    >>> Right now I have two computers - one is using windows xp and one is
    >>> using linux ubuntu.
    >>> Both are able to use the internet by connecting to a linksys wrt54gs
    >>> router.
    >>> The linux box uses ethernet card and connects with cable to the
    >>> router, and the windows xp uses wireless card.
    >>> Right now the router uses automatic configuration DHCP.
    >>> What is the easiest way to set things up so I can telnet from my
    >>> windows pc
    >>> to the linux box ? Anybody know what steps have to be taken ?

    >> Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    >> passwords travel unencrypted over the network; better to install
    >> openssh-server on it and login from your windows machine using an ssh
    >> client - "PuTTY" is a popular and zero cost windows ssh client.
    >>

    >>> I think I have to somehow give a static ip address to the linux box
    >>> but
    >>> am not sure how to do this.

    >> Pick an IP address for the Linux box out of range of the pool of IP
    >> addresses used my your router for dynamically allocated IP addresses but
    >> still within range of your local netmask; get the MAC address of your
    >> Linux box ("ifconfig eth0"), tell the DHCP server on the router to
    >> allocate your fixed IP address to that MAC address.
    >>
    >> Robert
    >>

    >>> Thanks.

    > I know my linux box is 192.168.1.100 - I try to telnet to it and get
    > connection refused.
    > I can ping it though.
    > I have the inet package installed.
    > For some reason ubuntu linux is not allowing port 23 to be open. I
    > don't know how to
    > open it.
    > As well "telnet localhost" fails on linux box fails with connection
    > refused...
    > I can't hope to get telnet working from pc if the linux box can't even
    > telnet to itself.
    >
    > I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    > get connection refused.

    Again, the reason that connection is refused is because there is no
    process listening on the telnet port. Install telnetd ("apt-get install
    telnetd") and your connection will work.

    Robert

  6. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > steveandleyla@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I know my linux box is 192.168.1.100 - I try to telnet to it and get
    >> connection refused.
    >> I can ping it though.
    >> I have the inet package installed.
    >> For some reason ubuntu linux is not allowing port 23 to be open. I
    >> don't know how to
    >> open it.
    >> As well "telnet localhost" fails on linux box fails with connection
    >> refused...
    >> I can't hope to get telnet working from pc if the linux box can't even
    >> telnet to itself.
    >>
    >> I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    >> get connection refused.

    > Again, the reason that connection is refused is because there is no
    > process listening on the telnet port. Install telnetd ("apt-get install
    > telnetd") and your connection will work.

    You probably will have to set up /etc/hosts.allow as well.

    Larry

  7. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    > passwords travel unencrypted over the network

    Telnet is fine for a home or small private network, where there is not a
    danger from internal espionage.

    I use telnet here. Just install telnetd.

    Most Microsoft Windows based systems provide a telnet client with the exception of
    Windows Vista.

    I have some notes on configuring a static IP address here:

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto...icaddress.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  8. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    On 2007-06-20, Robert Harris wrote:
    >> I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    >> get connection refused.

    > Again, the reason that connection is refused is because there is no
    > process listening on the telnet port. Install telnetd ("apt-get install
    > telnetd") and your connection will work.

    It's been mensioned elsewhere, but the better solution is to get PuTTY for
    Windows of the net. No installation required.

    The ssh protocol will probably allreay be active on the Linux side.

    If it can be avoided, you shouldn't use telnet anymore.

    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    On 2007-06-21, Mark Hobley wrote:
    >> Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    >> passwords travel unencrypted over the network

    > Telnet is fine for a home or small private network, where there is not a
    > danger from internal espionage.
    >
    > I use telnet here. Just install telnetd.
    >
    > Most Microsoft Windows based systems provide a telnet client with the exception of
    > Windows Vista.

    Another reason not to use it. Just use Putty.

    > I have some notes on configuring a static IP address here:
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto...icaddress.html

    If he's going to use telnet, fine. His choice.
    But what does a static IP address to do with it?

    Douglas Adams

  10. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    On 2007-06-21, Mark Hobley rambled on thusly:

    > Telnet is fine for a home or small private network, where there is not a
    > danger from internal espionage.

    > I use telnet here. Just install telnetd.

    SSH is so much cooler, though, allowing compression and port forwarding. I
    won't let telnetd near any of my machines, especially since ssh clients are
    so easy to find for any OS. I even have an ssh client for my Palm TX!

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.biffster.org Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  11. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

  12. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    On Jun 20, 5:44 pm, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > steveandle...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Jun 20, 4:34 pm, Robert Harris
    > > wrote:
    > >> Install telnetd. But using telnetd is usually frowned upon because
    > >> passwords travel unencrypted over the network; better to install
    > >> openssh-server on it and login from your windows machine using an ssh
    > >> client - "PuTTY" is a popular and zero cost windows ssh client.

    > >> Pick an IP address for the Linux box out of range of the pool of IP
    > >> addresses used my your router for dynamically allocated IP addresses but
    > >> still within range of your local netmask; get the MAC address of your
    > >> Linux box ("ifconfig eth0"), tell the DHCP server on the router to
    > >> allocate your fixed IP address to that MAC address.

    > >> Robert

    > > I know my linux box is 192.168.1.100 - I try to telnet to it and get
    > > connection refused.
    > > I can ping it though.
    > > I have the inet package installed.
    > > For some reason ubuntu linux is not allowing port 23 to be open. I
    > > don't know how to
    > > open it.
    > > As well "telnet localhost" fails on linux box fails with connection
    > > refused...
    > > I can't hope to get telnet working from pc if the linux box can't even
    > > telnet to itself.

    > > I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    > > get connection refused.

    > Again, the reason that connection is refused is because there is no
    > process listening on the telnet port. Install telnetd ("apt-get install
    > telnetd") and your connection will work.
    >
    > Robert

    Okay everything is working now - I was away for on vacation and
    when I got back got some linux packages and telnet works now.

    To set up the static IP addresses - do I only do this on the OS
    side of things or do I have to change the configuration of the router.

    I heard somewhere you can just pick IP addresses below the
    192.168.1.100 like 192.168.1.50 but I don't know if these are
    entered on the linux side or the router side. The router is wireless
    but there are 4 ethernet plugins in the back for wired connections..
    do these correspond to specific ip addresses like
    192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 etc. ?

    Thanks.

  13. Re: How do I telnet from windows pc to linux ..

    steveandleyla@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 5:44 pm, Robert Harris
    > wrote:
    >> steveandle...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I know my linux box is 192.168.1.100 - I try to telnet to it and get
    >>> connection refused.
    >>> I can ping it though.
    >>> I have the inet package installed.
    >>> For some reason ubuntu linux is not allowing port 23 to be open. I
    >>> don't know how to
    >>> open it.
    >>> As well "telnet localhost" fails on linux box fails with connection
    >>> refused...
    >>> I can't hope to get telnet working from pc if the linux box can't even
    >>> telnet to itself.
    >>> I will try to get static ip address but I have a feeling I will still
    >>> get connection refused.

    >> Again, the reason that connection is refused is because there is no
    >> process listening on the telnet port. Install telnetd ("apt-get install
    >> telnetd") and your connection will work.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Okay everything is working now - I was away for on vacation and
    > when I got back got some linux packages and telnet works now.
    >
    > To set up the static IP addresses - do I only do this on the OS
    > side of things or do I have to change the configuration of the router.
    >
    > I heard somewhere you can just pick IP addresses below the
    > 192.168.1.100 like 192.168.1.50 but I don't know if these are
    > entered on the linux side or the router side. The router is wireless
    > but there are 4 ethernet plugins in the back for wired connections..
    > do these correspond to specific ip addresses like
    > 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 etc. ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    No; the ethernet interfaces do not correspond to any particular IP
    address. They really form a switch connected to the router.

    I replied to the same question earlier - see the paragraph starting:
    "Pick an IP address".

    Actually you don't have to tell the router your IP address - it will
    know about it as soon as you connect to the network but if it is going
    to route packets to you, the IP address must be one within its netmask
    (which is part of the router configuration).

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread