How to IPX support on my RHE - Networking

This is a discussion on How to IPX support on my RHE - Networking ; Hi I'm trying to connect to a Novell server from a Red Hat Enterprise (version 4 - Intel EM64T) server but the RHE came without the IPX protocol installed. I found this on the Red Hat Knowledgebase: "The IPX protocol ...

  1. How to IPX support on my RHE

    Hi

    I'm trying to connect to a Novell server from a Red Hat Enterprise (version
    4 - Intel EM64T) server but the RHE came without the IPX protocol installed.
    I found this on the Red Hat Knowledgebase:

    "The IPX protocol is unsupported in the main kernel for Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux 3. The IPX protocol support is provided in two locations. First: as
    part of the kernel-unsupported RPM available for download via Red Hat Network
    (RHN), and Second: the kernel-unsupported RPM is also found in the install
    CDs." - http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_79_2752.shtm

    But I can't find the RPM mentioned. Does anyone know the name of the RPM?

    And is this the only way to install the IPX protocol?
    I've read that you can change a config file and recompile the kernel. The
    sources aren't on the machine so can I just copy them from the accompanying
    CDs? And where to? Then I should be able to do make makeconfig to get a config
    file where I can change the parameter for IPX and then compile the kernel.
    Is that correctly understood?

  2. Re: How to IPX support on my RHE

    Fister wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to connect to a Novell server from a Red Hat Enterprise
    > (version 4 - Intel EM64T) server but the RHE came without the IPX
    > protocol installed. I found this on the Red Hat Knowledgebase:
    >
    > "The IPX protocol is unsupported in the main kernel for Red Hat
    > Enterprise Linux 3. The IPX protocol support is provided in two
    > locations. First: as part of the kernel-unsupported RPM available for
    > download via Red Hat Network (RHN), and Second: the kernel-unsupported
    > RPM is also found in the install CDs." -
    > http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_79_2752.shtm
    >
    > But I can't find the RPM mentioned. Does anyone know the name of the RPM?
    >
    > And is this the only way to install the IPX protocol?
    > I've read that you can change a config file and recompile the kernel.
    > The sources aren't on the machine so can I just copy them from the
    > accompanying CDs? And where to? Then I should be able to do make
    > makeconfig to get a config file where I can change the parameter for IPX
    > and then compile the kernel. Is that correctly understood?

    The IPX protocol is supported by the Linux kernel but Red Hat only
    support their own precompiled kernels on RHEL. There is nothing to stop
    you recompiling the kernel yourself and using that recompiled kernel.

    CentOS is a free RHEL-compatible distribution. If you Google for Centos4
    and IPX you will find RHEL-compatible kernels including IPX support and
    IPX utilities.

+ Reply to Thread