Fetchmail local connection failed - Networking

This is a discussion on Fetchmail local connection failed - Networking ; Hi, A final fetchmail question :-) I am in the process of setting up ssmtp (send), mutt (read) and fetchmail (fetch!) from a gmail account. I have ssmtp configured and working well and I have fetchmail connecting to the gmail ...

  1. Fetchmail local connection failed

    Hi,

    A final fetchmail question :-) I am in the process of setting up
    ssmtp (send), mutt (read) and fetchmail (fetch!) from a gmail account.
    I have ssmtp configured and working well and I have fetchmail
    connecting to the gmail server. But I have an error message at my end:

    Trying to connect to 127.0.0.1/25...connection failed.
    fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
    Connection refused.
    fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

    I have a suspicion that I need another program to deal with the mail
    that fetchmail is attempting to deliver to the local machine?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  2. Re: Fetchmail local connection failed

    On 2007-06-19, andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A final fetchmail question :-) I am in the process of setting up
    > ssmtp (send), mutt (read) and fetchmail (fetch!) from a gmail account.
    > I have ssmtp configured and working well and I have fetchmail
    > connecting to the gmail server. But I have an error message at my end:
    >
    > Trying to connect to 127.0.0.1/25...connection failed.
    > fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
    > Connection refused.
    > fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
    >
    > I have a suspicion that I need another program to deal with the mail
    > that fetchmail is attempting to deliver to the local machine?

    Ahh, now I see, said the blind man. Do I need procmail?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  3. Re: Fetchmail local connection failed

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-06-19, andrew wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A final fetchmail question :-) I am in the process of setting up
    >> ssmtp (send), mutt (read) and fetchmail (fetch!) from a gmail account.
    >> I have ssmtp configured and working well and I have fetchmail
    >> connecting to the gmail server. But I have an error message at my end:
    >>
    >> Trying to connect to 127.0.0.1/25...connection failed.
    >> fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
    >> Connection refused.
    >> fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
    >>
    >> I have a suspicion that I need another program to deal with the mail
    >> that fetchmail is attempting to deliver to the local machine?
    >>

    > Ahh, now I see, said the blind man. Do I need procmail?
    >
    > Andrew

    What do you mean by delivery to a local machine? A local machine (mail
    client) normally reads mail from a POP3 or an IMAP server depending on
    whether you want the actual emails to reside on your local server or
    client. If in doubt, keep your mail on a server so you can access it
    from anywhere that can talk to your server, i.e. use IMAP. So you need
    to run an IMAP server (like uw-imapd or cyrus-imapd).

    Then you need to deliver your email to your IMAP server. So you also
    need a Mail Transport Agent (Ubuntu likes postfix by default or you can
    use exim4 or sendmail) that will pick up your mail from port 25 and do
    the delivery.

    It is actually quite easy to set up such programs: default
    configurations tend to work.

+ Reply to Thread