Help: About NFS - Networking

This is a discussion on Help: About NFS - Networking ; Hello, O'm a Linux user, and I built a small LAN in my home. I use one machine to be a NFS server, but I'd like to know what's the meaning of "nfs-lock" service? My Linux system is Redhat 9. ...

  1. Help: About NFS

    Hello,

    O'm a Linux user, and I built a small LAN in my home. I use one machine to
    be a NFS server, but I'd like to know what's the meaning of "nfs-lock"
    service?

    My Linux system is Redhat 9.

    Thanks in advance~

    Amy Lee

  2. Re: Help: About NFS

    Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > O'm a Linux user, and I built a small LAN in my home. I use one machine to
    > be a NFS server, but I'd like to know what's the meaning of "nfs-lock"
    > service?
    >
    > My Linux system is Redhat 9.
    >
    > Thanks in advance~
    >
    > Amy Lee

    Hi

    It provides file-locking services over NFS, so that one client requesting a
    lock is coordinated with other clients trying to lock the same file.

    Why it is a separate daemon on NFSv2/3 involves history.

    It can be ignored in special cases, by mounting the nfs export with

    -onolock

    which usually only makes sense if mounting the filesytem read-only as well.

    HTH

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread