Setting FQDN for slrn - Networking

This is a discussion on Setting FQDN for slrn - Networking ; Hi, I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn and later so I can set my own email server etc. I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But I have not much of an idea how to do ...

  1. Setting FQDN for slrn

    Hi,

    I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn and later
    so I can set my own email server etc. I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But
    I have not much of an idea how to do it.

    My research so far has shown me:

    1. Buy a domain name
    2. Set my computer / router to a static ip address for the computer
    itself
    3. Alter my /etc/hosts file to show:

    ip address / domain name / alias

    Am I missing anything?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  2. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:56:36 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn and later
    > so I can set my own email server etc. I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But
    > I have not much of an idea how to do it.
    >
    > My research so far has shown me:
    >
    > Am I missing anything?

    Well, you can name your LAN with a any_name.invalid without having to buy
    a domain name. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

    I went with static ip for my LAN nodes.
    $ hostname
    wb.home.invalid

    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    192.168.2.30 wb.home.invalid wb

    If you do not want to go static, your get to setup named/bind and tell your
    dhcp server what is going on, if not static, depending on what you want
    your LAN to be able to do.

    Off hand I can not remember if you put FQDN in
    /etc/hostname or /etc/HOSTNAME for your distribution.

  3. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-17, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:56:36 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn and later
    >> so I can set my own email server etc. I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But
    >> I have not much of an idea how to do it.

    [...]
    >> Am I missing anything?

    > Well, you can name your LAN with a any_name.invalid without having to buy
    > a domain name. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

    Thanks I was not aware of that. I have used .invalid for a hostname
    and this is fine for my purposes.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  4. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:11:22 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    >> Well, you can name your LAN with a any_name.invalid without having to buy
    >> a domain name. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

    > Thanks I was not aware of that. I have used .invalid for a hostname
    > and this is fine for my purposes.

    You misunderstand, domanin name would be any_name.invalid with your
    hostname, andrew, for a FQDN of andrew.any_name.invalid

  5. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-17, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:11:22 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    >>> Well, you can name your LAN with a any_name.invalid without having to buy
    >>> a domain name. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

    >> Thanks I was not aware of that. I have used .invalid for a hostname
    >> and this is fine for my purposes.

    > You misunderstand, domanin name would be any_name.invalid with your
    > hostname, andrew, for a FQDN of andrew.any_name.invalid

    I have not expressed myself well, as usual. I have the following,
    which works with slrn:

    andrew@ilium:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost ilium
    127.0.1.1 ilium

    192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium

    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

    Not sure why there are 2 entries for 127.0....? My knowledge of
    networking has undoubtedly been revealed here :-) In my defence I have
    an excellent linux book on the way from Amazon: A Practical Guide to
    Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming by Mark Sobell which
    I believe has a section on networking.

    But in the meantime if you you have the time and patience to comment
    on my settings I would be grateful.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  6. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:48:51 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:

    > andrew@ilium:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost ilium
    > 127.0.1.1 ilium
    >
    > 192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium

    > Not sure why there are 2 entries for 127.0....?

    Left over attempts at networking maybe.

    If me, I would have the top three lines looking like
    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium

    (rest of your hosts file snipped for this reply)

    As an, oh by the way, the first time I go to modify a config file, I
    copy it to _orig,
    If I want to play with it again, I copy it to _works. That gives me
    something like
    $ ls -1 /etc/hosts*
    /etc/hosts~ <---- last backup from using editor on last change
    /etc/hosts_orig <--- one created by install and is the original
    /etc/hosts_works <-- last one that worked before I "improved it"

  7. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , andrew wrote:

    > I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn

    Depends on your news server - yours seems to be setting the 'Message-ID:'
    and probably the 'NNTP-Posting-Host:' fields. Press the 't' key to see
    all of the headers in your post, and compare it to others. In my case,
    the 'Message-ID:' is set locally based on my username and local hostname.

    >and later so I can set my own email server etc.

    Your ISP is using "generic" hostnames (defined as looking like it was
    defined by a shell script - it contains the IP address), and a number of
    mail servers refuse to accept connections from such hosts. At least your
    ISP has configured a DNS PTR record for the address. You also want to
    check the various block lists if you expect to send mail. Also, check
    with your ISP about using this address to send mail - a growing number
    of ISPs are blocking outbound access to remote port 25 in an effort to
    reduce the amount of zombie spam. Spend some time scanning the Usenet
    newsgroup 'news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting' to see what kinds of
    problems you'll run into.

    >I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But I have not much of an idea how to do it.

    I don't recommend running servers on a user type of system.

    > My research so far has shown me:
    >
    >1. Buy a domain name

    You don't actually _buy_ the name, so much as TEMPORARILY register the
    name. There are literally hundreds of 'registrars'. Start by hitting
    your favorite search engine, and look for the terms "icann registration
    requirements" and gain a huge eyeful of information. Briefly, to get a
    registration, you will need a unique domain name, some cash, and the IP
    address and names of at least two different name servers that will be
    authoritative for your domain (many registrars can provide this service
    for an extra fee). You also need some idea where the domain will be
    hosted (residential ISPs often prohibit this in their terms of service
    unless yo pay extra0.

    >2. Set my computer / router to a static ip address for the computer
    >itself

    Static addresses are not _required_ for servers (though they are a
    very good idea0, but as noted above do check with your ISP

    >3. Alter my /etc/hosts file to show:

    Debian (your Ubuntu distribution is a clone of Debian) sets the hostname
    from /etc/hostname, and the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces. Yes,
    you ALSO need to set /etc/hosts, but also the appropriate DNS zonefiles.

    >Am I missing anything?

    Yeah - why do you feel you need to set up a domain? I'm assuming there
    is some other reason.

    Old guy

  8. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-18, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:48:51 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    > If me, I would have the top three lines looking like
    > $ cat /etc/hosts

    [....]

    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium

    I have experimented as you suggested (including a careful backup!) and
    all appears well. Hopefully my message header will reflect this after
    this post.

    Thanks again,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  9. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-18, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-06-18, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:48:51 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    >> If me, I would have the top three lines looking like
    >> $ cat /etc/hosts

    > [....]
    >
    >> 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >> 192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium
    >>

    > I have experimented as you suggested (including a careful backup!) and
    > all appears well. Hopefully my message header will reflect this after
    > this post.

    Woo hooo!!:

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  10. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 05:59:15 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:

    >> 192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid ilium

    > I have experimented as you suggested (including a careful backup!) and
    > all appears well.

    Ah, frap. Normaly the alias is the node name, the line should read

    192.168.1.66 andrew.ilium.invalid andrew

    For extra points,
    man hosts

  11. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-18, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    > article , andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn

    > Depends on your news server - yours seems to be setting the 'Message-ID:'
    > and probably the 'NNTP-Posting-Host:' fields. Press the 't' key to see
    > all of the headers in your post, and compare it to others. In my case,
    > the 'Message-ID:' is set locally based on my username and local hostname.

    [...]

    I have reset the .slrnrc file to allow my local machine to set message
    headers and set myself a valid ip address and a xxx.invalid domain
    name.

    [...]

    >>I am running Ubuntu Dapper. But I have not much of an idea how to do it.

    > I don't recommend running servers on a user type of system.

    As it turns out I did not understand my own needs :-) I have decided
    to use gmail as a relay using ssmtp to send (this works fine) and
    eventually mutt to read and ??fetchmail ??getmail to receive.

    [...]

    >>Am I missing anything?

    > Yeah - why do you feel you need to set up a domain? I'm assuming there
    > is some other reason.

    Well, I actually don't as everything turns out :-) What I need to do
    is to read up a little more on networking. I am sure I have more
    mistakes to make yet though.

    Thanks for your help!

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  12. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On 2007-06-18, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    > article , andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I am hoping to setup a fully qualified domain name for slrn

    > Depends on your news server - yours seems to be setting the 'Message-ID:'
    > and probably the 'NNTP-Posting-Host:' fields. Press the 't' key to see
    > all of the headers in your post, and compare it to others. In my case,
    > the 'Message-ID:' is set locally based on my username and local hostname.

    Actually I noticed in your header:

    I have never seen this version number, or the UNIX extra. Can I ask
    where this version comes from?

    Thanks again,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  13. Re: Setting FQDN for slrn

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , andrew wrote:

    >Actually I noticed in your header:

    > I have never seen this version number

    0.9.5.4 was a version from 1999, but you really shouldn't believe
    everything you see, especially when someone can compile from source.
    Some people put misleading information in just to turn heads. If you
    were to look at the login banner on this system, you'd see '/etc/issue'
    is reporting

    [compton ~]$ cat /etc/issue

    Red Hat Linux release 3.0.3 (Picasso)
    Kernel 1.2.13 on a Zilog Z80

    [compton ~]$

    and if you know _anything_ about Linux, that's probably a bit fishy.

    >or the UNIX extra.

    A compile option. I'm using more than just Linux, and used the same
    compile setup on several systems.

    >Can I ask where this version comes from?

    Where did 0.9.5.4 come from? I'm _guessing_ space.mit.edu, which is where
    the original author (John Davis) was working. As for _this_ actual version
    (which seems to be 0.9.8.0 if I read the notes,) slrn.sourceforge.net.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread