Duplex mismatch - can the type of cable cause this? - Networking

This is a discussion on Duplex mismatch - can the type of cable cause this? - Networking ; A speed test done on a server described as "Web100 based Network Diagnostic Tool (NDT)" reports that there is a duplex mismatch. The NIC is an Intel Pro 100/VE and the switch is a Dell Powerconnect 2024 so it does ...

  1. Duplex mismatch - can the type of cable cause this?

    A speed test done on a server described as "Web100 based Network
    Diagnostic Tool (NDT)" reports that there is a duplex mismatch.

    The NIC is an Intel Pro 100/VE and the switch is a Dell Powerconnect
    2024 so it does not appear that either device is problematic.

    Therefore, I wonder if the cable could be the Bad Guy here? For
    example, if there is a straight through cable between some of the
    computers connected to the Dell but a crossover cable on this
    particular computer, could that cause a duplex mismatch?
    --buck

  2. Re: Duplex mismatch - can the type of cable cause this?

    buck wrote:
    > A speed test done on a server described as "Web100 based Network
    > Diagnostic Tool (NDT)" reports that there is a duplex mismatch.
    >
    > The NIC is an Intel Pro 100/VE and the switch is a Dell Powerconnect
    > 2024 so it does not appear that either device is problematic.
    >
    > Therefore, I wonder if the cable could be the Bad Guy here? For
    > example, if there is a straight through cable between some of the
    > computers connected to the Dell but a crossover cable on this
    > particular computer, could that cause a duplex mismatch?
    > --buck

    It's not likely the cable. I almost always have to force ports between
    Cisco switches and anything other than Cisco switches to 100-full at
    both ends. I don't know who manufactures the specific switch for Dell,
    but auto-negotiation issues are common. Force both sides to 100-full and
    be done with it.

    ....kurt

+ Reply to Thread