FTP: 421 Service not available.... - Networking

This is a discussion on FTP: 421 Service not available.... - Networking ; Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process: ftp -n ...

  1. FTP: 421 Service not available....

    Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    appreciatted

    I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

    ftp -n nameofserver
    user username password
    cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    ascii
    put nameoffile
    dir
    bye

    When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    bad):
    220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    500 Command not understood.
    500 Command not understood.
    KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

    Then I enter the username and password
    and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    Passive mode refused.

    Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

  2. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some electrons
    to form:

    > Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    > solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    > appreciatted
    >
    > I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
    >
    > ftp -n nameofserver
    > user username password
    > cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    > ascii
    > put nameoffile
    > dir
    > bye
    >
    > When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    > bad):
    > 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    > 500 Command not understood.
    > 500 Command not understood.
    > KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    >
    > Then I enter the username and password
    > and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    > Passive mode refused.
    >
    > Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    Google is that way -->

    "FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    I know that....thats why I put all my information in this post, so
    maybe somebody in here already solved this problem.

  4. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    erick-flores wrote:
    > Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    > solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    > appreciatted
    >
    > I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
    >
    > ftp -n nameofserver
    > user username password
    > cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    > ascii
    > put nameoffile
    > dir
    > bye
    >
    > When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    > bad):
    > 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    > 500 Command not understood.
    > 500 Command not understood.
    > KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    >
    > Then I enter the username and password
    > and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    > Passive mode refused.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If it were me I'd try turning off passive mode.

  5. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    How do I do that?

  6. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <1181922763.119526.308050@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, erick-flores
    wrote:

    >Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    >solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    >appreciatted
    >
    >I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

    Do you have permission to upload files to this server?

    >ftp -n nameofserver
    >user username password

    OK - but see below

    >cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    >ascii
    >put nameoffile

    Do you have permission to put files there? /var/ is normally used for
    system variable data, logs, and spools.

    >When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    >bad):
    >220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    >500 Command not understood.
    >500 Command not understood.
    >KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

    Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
    sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to. The
    KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
    no details to say what.

    >Then I enter the username and password
    >and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    >421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

    Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
    context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
    cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
    and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
    username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
    expect people to understand your problem.

    >Passive mode refused.

    No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
    server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
    you said.

    >Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
    administrator of the DGSUX box.

    Old guy

  7. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:02:51 -0400, David M wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some
    > electrons to form:
    >
    >> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve
    >> it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted
    >>
    >> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
    >>
    >> ftp -n nameofserver
    >> user username password
    >> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    >> ascii
    >> put nameoffile
    >> dir
    >> bye
    >>
    >> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    >> bad):
    >> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready. 500 Command not
    >> understood.
    >> 500 Command not understood.
    >> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    >>
    >> Then I enter the username and password and when I tried to put the file
    >> i get this message: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
    >> connection Passive mode refused.
    >>
    >> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    > Google is that way -->
    >
    > "FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.

    Ie in this case, Google is pretty useless. It's interesting how
    often people invoke the Google mantra, with useless suggestions like the
    one above, as though they solved anything.

    If you want to help, rather than chastise the OP, do suggest a
    useful approach to Google that returns a manageable number of hits. Of
    course, that's much more difficult; on the other hand, any moron with
    delusions can redirect anyone to Google.

  8. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:00:31 +0000, Ivar Rosquist rearranged some
    electrons to form:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:02:51 -0400, David M wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some
    >> electrons to form:
    >>
    >>> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve
    >>> it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
    >>>
    >>> ftp -n nameofserver
    >>> user username password
    >>> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    >>> ascii
    >>> put nameoffile
    >>> dir
    >>> bye
    >>>
    >>> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    >>> bad):
    >>> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready. 500 Command not
    >>> understood.
    >>> 500 Command not understood.
    >>> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    >>>
    >>> Then I enter the username and password and when I tried to put the file
    >>> i get this message: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
    >>> connection Passive mode refused.
    >>>
    >>> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    >> Google is that way -->
    >>
    >> "FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.

    > Ie in this case, Google is pretty useless. It's interesting how
    > often people invoke the Google mantra, with useless suggestions like the
    > one above, as though they solved anything.
    >
    > If you want to help, rather than chastise the OP, do suggest a
    > useful approach to Google that returns a manageable number of hits. Of
    > course, that's much more difficult; on the other hand, any moron with
    > delusions can redirect anyone to Google.

    Any moron could see that the first 10 hits seemed relevant to
    the OP's problem.

    David M (dmacchiarolo)

  9. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Jun 16, 6:54 pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    > article <1181922763.119526.308...@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, erick-flores
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    > >solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    > >appreciatted

    > >I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

    > Do you have permission to upload files to this server?
    >
    > >ftp -n nameofserver
    > >user username password

    > OK - but see below
    >
    > >cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    > >ascii
    > >put nameoffile

    > Do you have permission to put files there? /var/ is normally used for
    > system variable data, logs, and spools.
    >
    > >When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    > >bad):
    > >220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    > >500 Command not understood.
    > >500 Command not understood.
    > >KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

    > Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
    > sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to. The
    > KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
    > no details to say what.
    >
    > >Then I enter the username and password
    > >and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    > >421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

    > Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
    > context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
    > cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
    > and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
    > username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
    > expect people to understand your problem.
    >
    > >Passive mode refused.

    > No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
    > server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
    > you said.
    >
    > >Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    > As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
    > administrator of the DGSUX box.
    >
    > Old guy

    Thanks for your reply.

    Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
    This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
    19:30. When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
    script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine. Can be
    something wrong in the crontab then?

    this is how my crontab looks like:
    30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract # Extract orders

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  10. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    erick-flores wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 6:54 pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    >> article <1181922763.119526.308...@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, erick-flores
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
    >>> solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
    >>> appreciatted
    >>> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

    >> Do you have permission to upload files to this server?
    >>
    >>> ftp -n nameofserver
    >>> user username password

    >> OK - but see below
    >>
    >>> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
    >>> ascii
    >>> put nameoffile

    >> Do you have permission to put files there? /var/ is normally used for
    >> system variable data, logs, and spools.
    >>
    >>> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
    >>> bad):
    >>> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
    >>> 500 Command not understood.
    >>> 500 Command not understood.
    >>> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

    >> Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
    >> sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to. The
    >> KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
    >> no details to say what.
    >>
    >>> Then I enter the username and password
    >>> and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
    >>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

    >> Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
    >> context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
    >> cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
    >> and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
    >> username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
    >> expect people to understand your problem.
    >>
    >>> Passive mode refused.

    >> No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
    >> server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
    >> you said.
    >>
    >>> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

    >> As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
    >> administrator of the DGSUX box.
    >>
    >> Old guy

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
    > This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
    > 19:30. When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
    > script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine. Can be
    > something wrong in the crontab then?
    >
    > this is how my crontab looks like:
    > 30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract # Extract orders

    Could be time sensitivity on the ftp server.
    Or environment dependencies in your script. cron jobs get a much smaller
    set of env vars than do interactive jobs.
    Try cron for 8:35 to tell for sure.
    Check your scripts for env dependencies.
    Post your script for further input.

  11. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    > Could be time sensitivity on the ftp server.
    > Or environment dependencies in your script. cron jobs get a much smaller
    > set of env vars than do interactive jobs.
    > Try cron for 8:35 to tell for sure.
    > Check your scripts for env dependencies.
    > Post your script for further input.- Hide quoted text -

    OK, so here is my script that runs from the crontab. This script calls
    another one (x.putcook) also posted below:

    #!/bin/ksh

    # Extract Cook orders that have been staged and send them to company

    ############################### CHANGE HISTORY
    ################################
    # 06/14/07 Adapted to run properly on Linux.
    # 01/10/07 Added logging.
    # 11/12/04 Original version?
    ################################################## #############################

    function usage {
    print "\nUsage: $Prog [ [ ] ]" >&2
    print "\t - Date to extract as mm/dd/yy. Default is current
    date." >&2
    print "\t - Name of the database to use. Default is
    $DB." >&2
    print "\nExample:" >&2
    print "\t$Prog 01/05/07 tfhtst" >&2
    print "\nExtract for Jan 5, 2007 using database tfhtst." >&2
    print "" >&2
    }

    # Parm 1 = Date in the form MM/DD/YY
    # Parm 2 = (optional) tfhtst (If you want to use the test database)
    # ex: x.autoextract 03/01/04 tfhtst
    # RUNNING WITH NO PARMS WILL EXTRACT FOR TODAY AND tfhbiz
    # Setting some env vars...

    # Log an event with date and time. Variable $LOG specifies the log
    file.
    function logit {
    if [[ $1 = '-' ]]
    then
    shift
    else
    print -- "$@" >&2
    fi
    print "$( date +'%Y-%m-%d %T' ) $@" >>$LOG
    }

    # Trap various errors
    function irupt {
    case $1 in
    1 ) logit "1. Disconnect"
    trap "" 1
    ;;
    2 ) logit "2. Interrupt by user"
    trap "" 2
    ;;
    15 )
    logit "15. Operator (root) kill."
    trap "" 15
    ;;
    * ) logit "$1. Unrecognized interrupt."
    trap "" $1
    ;;
    esac
    exitfunc $1
    }

    function exitfunc {
    logit "End $Prog, Status $1, $NERR errors."
    rm -f $ERRTMP
    exit $1
    }

    # ############################### START MAIN
    ##################################

    Prog=$( basename $0 )
    Pname=$( basename $0 .sh )

    ExtDir=/export/extracts/cook # Location of extract file.
    DB=tfhbiz # Default database.
    ERRTMP=/tmp/$Pname.err # Temp file for error output.
    LOG=/var/local/log/$Pname.log # Log file
    let NERR=0 # Number of errors
    encountered.

    print "" >&2
    if [[ $1 = '--' ]]
    then
    print "Extract order for company, and send them to company's
    computer." >&2
    usage
    exit 0
    fi

    # Trap various errors.
    trap "irupt 1" 1
    trap "irupt 2" 2
    trap "irupt 15" 15

    DTG=$( date +'%m/%d/%y' ) # The current date.
    print "" >>$LOG # Put blank line in the log.
    logit "Begin $Prog $@"

    # Set some environment variables, if needed.
    if [[ -z ${INFORMIXSERVER:-''} ]]
    then
    logit "Setting Informix environment."
    . /etc/hudgins1.profile # Set the Informix environment
    fi
    if [[ -z ${fg:-''} ]]
    then
    logit "Setting FG environment."
    . /etc/fg.profile # Set the FG environment
    fi

    DT=${1:-$DTG} # Get date argument, if any.
    DB=${2:-$DB} # Get 2nd argument, if any.

    case $DB in
    tfhtst )
    CookDir=/m1/fourgen/accounting/oe.4gm/x_cook.tst
    ;;
    tfhbiz )
    CookDir=/m1/fourgen/accounting/oe.4gm/x_cook.tfh
    ;;
    * ) print "**** Unrecognized database \"$DB\"." >&2
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    ;;
    esac

    if [[ $NERR -ne 0 ]]
    then
    usage
    exitfunc 17
    fi

    mm=$( print ${DT}|cut -c1-2 )
    dd=$( print ${DT}|cut -c4-5 )
    yy=$( print ${DT}|cut -c7-8 )
    FileDate=${yy}${mm}${dd} # Date stamp
    FileName=TFH$FileDate.txt # Extract file name.

    # moving to the working directory...
    cd $CookDir
    logit "Running company Auto-Extract for $DT using $DB."
    sleep 3
    fglgo ./x_cook.4gi AUTOEXTRACT DB=$DB PRIN=C DATE=$DT >$ERRTMP 2>&1
    let es=$?
    if [[ $es -eq 0 && -s $ExtDir/$FileName ]]
    then
    let NL=$( cat $ExtDir/$FileName | wc -l )
    let NL=$NL-1
    logit "Successfully extracted $NL orders."
    else
    logit "**** Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    let es=$es+16
    exitfunc $es
    fi

    chmod 664 $ExtDir/$FileName
    logit "Transferring orders to company for $DTG."
    sleep 3
    /usr/local/bin/x.putcook $FileDate >$ERRTMP 2>&1
    let ES=$?
    if [[ $ES -eq 0 ]]
    then
    logit "Successfully transferred extracted orders to company."
    else
    logit "**** Problem transferring orders to company [$ES]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    fi

    exitfunc $ES

    x.putcook <================this script starts here

    #!/bin/ksh

    # Send Extracts to the company computer.

    ################################## CHANGE HISTORY
    #############################
    # 06/14/07 Adapted to run under Linux.
    # 02/28/07 Fix typo in function stmt. Add usage function.
    # 03/12/04 Original version.
    ################################################## #############################

    function usage {
    print "\nUsage: $Prog " >&2
    print "\t - Date for file in the form yymmdd." >&2
    print "" >&2
    }

    # Parm 1 = YYMMDD file name
    # x.putcook `date +%y%m%d`

    function logit {
    if [[ $1 = '-' ]]
    then
    shift
    else
    print -- "$@" >&2
    fi
    print "$( date +'%Y-%m-%d %T' ) $@" >>$LOG
    }

    # Trap various errors
    function irupt {
    case $1 in
    1 ) logit "1. Disconnect"
    trap "" 1
    ;;
    2 ) logit "2. Interrupt by user"
    trap "" 2
    ;;
    15 )
    logit "15. Operator (root) kill."
    trap "" 15
    ;;
    * ) logit "$1. Unrecognized interrupt."
    trap "" $1

    ;;
    esac
    exitfunc $1
    }

    function exitfunc {
    logit "End $Prog, Status $1, $NERR errors."
    rm -f $ERRTMP
    exit $1
    }

    ################################## START MAIN
    ###############################

    Prog=$( basename $0 ) # Program name.
    Pname=$( basename $0 .sh ) # Program name w/o .sh extension,
    if any.

    ERRTMP=/tmp/$Pname.err # Temp file for error output.
    LOG=/var/local/log/$Pname.log # Log file
    let NERR=0 # Number of errors encountered

    if [[ $1 = '--' ]]
    then
    print "\nTransmit the Cook extract file to the company computer."
    >&2

    usage
    exit 0
    fi

    trap "irupt 1" 1
    trap "irupt 2" 2
    trap "irupt 15" 15

    print "" >>$LOG # Put blank line in the log file
    logit "Begin $Prog $@."

    case $# in
    1 ) FILE=TFH${1}.txt # Extract file to upload.
    ;;
    * ) logit "**** Missing required date argument."
    (( NERR ++ ))
    ;;
    esac

    if [[ $NERR -ne 0 ]]
    then
    exitfunc 17
    fi

    cd /export/extracts/cook # Move to the extract directory.
    if [[ ! -s $FILE ]]
    then
    logit "**** Cannot fine $PWD/$FILE."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    exitfunc 29
    fi

    let nb=$( cat $FILE | wc -l ) # Get byte count, just for the
    record.

    # The following FTP attempts two times to connect and send the file.
    The first
    # will probably fail with "421 Service not available...Turning off
    passive
    # mode." Upon reconnecting and logging in, the second put will
    succeed.

    ftp -n companyserver <<-EOF >$Pname.out 2>&1
    user username password
    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    ascii
    put $FILE
    open companyserver
    user username password
    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    ascii
    put $FILE
    dir
    bye
    EOF

    let es=$? # Capture the exit status from
    FTP.

    # The following grep command looks for the updloaded file in companys
    directory.
    # If found (exit status = 0), the transfer is assumed to be
    successful.

    if grep $FILE $Pname.out >/dev/null
    then
    logit "Successfully uploaded $FILE to companyserver, $nb bytes."
    else
    logit "**** Problem uploading $FILE [$es]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    let es=$es+64
    fi
    exitfunc $es

    This script used to work with HP-UX, now that we moved to a Linux
    server we tried to adapted but somehow is not working the right way.
    Again this is the x.autoextract script that runs from the crontab. I
    ran it yesterday at 20.30 and same result, it stop at: logit "****
    Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]." So it look like the problem/error
    is in the x.putcook script. The weird thing is when i run it manually
    in the morning and type the date argument for the last day, runs just
    fine.
    If you can take a quick look at this and let me know if you find
    something out of place, please let me know.

    Thanks in advance

  12. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    Sorry I made a mistake the script stops at: **** Problem transferring
    orders to Cook [64]. not at: logit "****
    Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]."

  13. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <1182189289.228555.125450@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, erick-flores
    wrote:

    >Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
    >This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
    >19:30. When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
    >script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine.

    Do you know if the DGSUX ftp server has any access time limitations?

    >Can be something wrong in the crontab then?

    Most certainly yes. The environment in cron is SUBSTANTIALLY less than
    in your shell. Use the command 'set' to see the difference. As a user
    on this system, I see

    [compton ~]$ set | wc -l
    41
    [compton ~]$

    41 lines of settings. As root, it's 44. In a cron task, it's only 20
    lines, and those "missing" lines constantly trap individuals. Another
    common problem is the PATH - in cron, it's usually quite restricted
    (perhaps only "/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin" - notice the lack of
    "local" directories). Finally, though I'm not sure it's a problem,
    cron doesn't "own" a terminal, so you may run into problems with where
    'stdout' is going.

    >this is how my crontab looks like:
    >30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract # Extract orders

    "/usr/local/bin" - this will _run_ OK, as long as _if_ it is calling
    stuff that isn't in PATH, it calls it with a full pathname as you've
    done in this crontab entry.

    Second question - which crontab is this (system, or user?) and which
    cron daemon in this. Neither here or in your original post do you
    identify the Linux distribution and release. For a _system_ crontab
    (/etc/crontab) entry using 'vixie-cron' (the most common cron daemon),
    there should be a variable between 'day-of-week' and 'command' that
    identifies the user to run this job as. If this is an individual user's
    crontab, OR if you are using 'dillon-cron' (found in Slackware and
    clones), the username field should not be included (the way you show
    this entry).

    Note that neither 'vixie-cron' or 'dillon-cron' allow comments on
    the individual command line - they are passed to the shell as if they
    are part of the command, and that may not be what you desire.

    Old guy

  14. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    Well it looks like its working now. I added the word *passive* to turn
    off passive mode in the ftp process, and its working just fine.

    Thanks for your help

  15. Re: FTP: 421 Service not available....

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <1182266148.409382.23850@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>, erick-flores
    wrote:

    >OK, so here is my script that runs from the crontab. This script calls
    >another one (x.putcook) also posted below:
    >
    >#!/bin/ksh

    Oh, my - not many people are using the Korn shell - Hopefully Chris
    Johnson will see this and comment. I'm not an expert, and someone has
    put a good bit of work in developing the script. I'm assuming this
    posting is showing the effects of line-wrap in your browser.

    ># Set some environment variables, if needed.
    >if [[ -z ${INFORMIXSERVER:-''} ]]
    >then
    > logit "Setting Informix environment."
    > . /etc/hudgins1.profile # Set the Informix environment
    >fi
    >if [[ -z ${fg:-''} ]]
    >then
    > logit "Setting FG environment."
    > . /etc/fg.profile # Set the FG environment
    >fi

    Does the log (/var/local/log/$Pname.log) show the script setting either of
    these environments?

    ># The following FTP attempts two times to connect and send the file.
    >The first
    ># will probably fail with "421 Service not available...Turning off passive
    ># mode." Upon reconnecting and logging in, the second put will succeed.

    One has to wonder why this occurs. The script doesn't allow for anything
    except the first failure/second success. Why is it failing in the first
    attempt?

    >ftp -n companyserver <<-EOF >$Pname.out 2>&1
    > user username password
    > cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    > ascii
    > put $FILE
    > open companyserver
    > user username password
    > cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    > ascii
    > put $FILE
    > dir
    > bye

    Except for the fact that this sequence demands that the first attempt
    fails, I don't see anything obvious. Run a packet sniffer such as tcpdump
    and capture the traffic. '/usr/sbin/tcpdump -n -s 1500 host companyserver'
    will probably do the job. The problem _SEEMS_ to be something in the
    dialog to the server is incompatible - tcpdump should catch the dialog
    between this script and the server (it should be in plain ASCII in crude
    English), and you should then see what the server is barfing about. It
    could be the expectation of first failure that is the problem.

    Now I see your other reply that the word 'passiv' made things work, but if
    this is done to the script, why is there a difference if the script is run
    as a cron job verses running it from the command line. Something still
    smells fishy.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread