problam with wvdial - Networking

This is a discussion on problam with wvdial - Networking ; plz help me out i m new one to linux using fedora 6 getting problam with connectiing with modem. here is the results of my wvdial and lspci. plz can any one tell me where is the problam and how ...

  1. problam with wvdial

    plz help me out
    i m new one to linux using fedora 6 getting problam with connectiing
    with modem.
    here is the results of my wvdial and lspci.
    plz can any one tell me where is the problam and how it will be
    rectified.
    results: wvdial

    ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
    Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3

    results: lspci -vv
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
    AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: IBM Thinkpad R50e model 1634
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
    ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

  2. Re: problam with wvdial

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in
    article <1181900249.199187.5370@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, and in
    the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    <1181899889.622061.204820@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>, fazu wrote:

    [Please don't multipost (posting identical articles to multiple newsgroups).
    If you must, include all newsgroup names in the 'Newsgroups:' header and
    set a 'Followup-To:' header, as I have done here.]

    >is there any problam with my modem

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 99 for IBM Thinkpad R50e model 1634 modem
    linux. (0.29 seconds)

    Yup - it's a winmodem that needs an extra driver, but you didn't identify
    your Linux distribution and release. You are posting from a search engine,
    so plug in the search terms "IBM Thinkpad R50e model 1634 modem linux" and
    look through those results.

    >results: wvdial

    WvDial is a windoze wannabe hunk of software that sometimes works with
    "real" modems, but isn't aware of the strange places that software
    modems may hide. Few experienced users recommend this "tool" because
    of it's conceptual errors. If you must use this, find the documentation
    for the modem and determine the correct init string (often AT&F0) and
    set "Stupid Mode" on and hope.

    >ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    >ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    >ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
    >Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3

    It sends a few modems commands without bothering to initialize the modem
    (ATQ0 normally turns on Result Codes, ATV1 sets this to the verbose mode
    [words, rather than numbers], and ATE1 turns off command echo, though
    these commands are not fully standardized), and is trying various serial
    port speeds as if this were still the 1980s. My understanding of this
    so-called "helper" application is that it is aware of /dev/tttyS0 to
    /dev/ttyS3 only and defaults to /dev/modem if that link exists. The
    loosemodem driver for this card normally uses /dev/ttyS15, but that
    assumes your distribution allows this.

    Old guy