Bridging and OpenVPN - Networking

This is a discussion on Bridging and OpenVPN - Networking ; Hi, while installing OpenVPN to integrate a remote client into a LAN some questions came up: The remote client should get a LAN IP. But even when I set an explicit route to the remote client over the TAP device ...

  1. Bridging and OpenVPN

    Hi,

    while installing OpenVPN to integrate a remote client into a LAN some
    questions came up:

    The remote client should get a LAN IP. But even when I set an explicit
    route to the remote client over the TAP device and enter ARP entries
    manually, routing does not function properly. Has just something gone
    wrong or will this a priori not work? Why does it work with a ppp
    device?

    I tried to set up a bridge to link the TAP device to eth0, but
    apparently eth0 does not work any longer when it is part of a bridge.
    Correct?

    Regards,
    André

  2. Re: Bridging and OpenVPN

    André Hänsel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > while installing OpenVPN to integrate a remote client into a LAN some
    > questions came up:
    >
    > The remote client should get a LAN IP. But even when I set an explicit
    > route to the remote client over the TAP device and enter ARP entries
    > manually, routing does not function properly. Has just something gone
    > wrong or will this a priori not work? Why does it work with a ppp
    > device?
    >
    > I tried to set up a bridge to link the TAP device to eth0, but
    > apparently eth0 does not work any longer when it is part of a bridge.
    > Correct?

    You have to ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up 0.0.0.0; ifconfig tap0
    down; ifconfig tap0 up 0.0.0.0; brctl addbr br0; btcrl addif eth0; brctl
    addif tap0; ifconfig br0 up the.ip.you.want

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

+ Reply to Thread