Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working - Networking

This is a discussion on Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working - Networking ; Hi, I've just bought a Linksys Wireless ADSL Router, attached it to my laptop via RJ45 cable, setup and all working fine! However, although I can see the SID being broadcast, it's telling me connection failed -- I have put ...

  1. Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    Hi, I've just bought a Linksys Wireless ADSL Router, attached it to my
    laptop via RJ45 cable, setup and all working fine! However, although I
    can see the SID being broadcast, it's telling me connection failed --
    I have put in the correct WEP key as per the router administration but
    it's still not working. I've tried everything but can only get online
    via the hard-wire cable

  2. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    On 10 Jun, 14:33, Dawson wrote:
    > Hi, I've just bought a Linksys Wireless ADSL Router, attached it to my
    > laptop via RJ45 cable, setup and all working fine! However, although I
    > can see the SID being broadcast, it's telling me connection failed --
    > I have put in the correct WEP key as per the router administration but
    > it's still not working. I've tried everything but can only get online
    > via the hard-wire cable

    Right, further investigations. I have disabled the WEP key and allowed
    anonymous access and it's still telling me connection failed? any
    ideas? Thank you

  3. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    In news:1181482727.131809.107930@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com,
    Dawson wrote:

    > Right, further investigations. I have disabled the WEP key and allowed
    > anonymous access and it's still telling me connection failed? any
    > ideas?

    RTFM. "Troubleshooting."

  4. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    Dawson wrote:

    > On 10 Jun, 14:33, Dawson wrote:
    >> Hi, I've just bought a Linksys Wireless ADSL Router, attached it to my
    >> laptop via RJ45 cable, setup and all working fine! However, although I
    >> can see the SID being broadcast, it's telling me connection failed --
    >> I have put in the correct WEP key as per the router administration but
    >> it's still not working. I've tried everything but can only get online
    >> via the hard-wire cable

    > Right, further investigations. I have disabled the WEP key and allowed
    > anonymous access and it's still telling me connection failed? any
    > ideas? Thank you

    What does iwconfig say?
    And "iwlist scan ..."?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  5. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    On 11 Jun, 02:43, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Dawson wrote:
    > > On 10 Jun, 14:33, Dawson wrote:
    > >> Hi, I've just bought a Linksys Wireless ADSL Router, attached it to my
    > >> laptop via RJ45 cable, setup and all working fine! However, although I
    > >> can see the SID being broadcast, it's telling me connection failed --
    > >> I have put in the correct WEP key as per the router administration but
    > >> it's still not working. I've tried everything but can only get online
    > >> via the hard-wire cable

    > > Right, further investigations. I have disabled the WEP key and allowed
    > > anonymous access and it's still telling me connection failed? any
    > > ideas? Thank you

    > What does iwconfig say?
    > And "iwlist scan ..."?
    >
    > --
    > Timothy Murphy
    > e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
    > tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

    dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 unassociated ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=nan kHz Access Point: Not-
    Associated
    Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
    Retry limit:15 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth1 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:10B:3B:CD
    ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
    Mode:Master
    Channel:6
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36
    Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Quality=92/100 Signal level=-39 dBm Noise
    level=-39 dBm
    Extra: Last beacon: 480ms ago

  6. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    Dawson wrote:

    >> What does iwconfig say?
    >> And "iwlist scan ..."?

    > dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth1 unassociated ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=nan kHz Access Point: Not-
    > Associated
    > Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
    > Retry limit:15 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:5483 Missed beacon:0

    > dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwlist scan
    > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth1 Scan completed :
    > Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:10B:3B:CD
    > ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    > Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
    > Mode:Master
    > Channel:6
    > Encryption keyff
    > Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    > 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36
    > Mb/s
    > 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    > Quality=92/100 Signal level=-39 dBm Noise
    > level=-39 dBm
    > Extra: Last beacon: 480ms ago

    So at least it sees the access point.

    I should say that I'm no expert.
    If the access point is using dhcp,
    I would look at this,
    eg by looking at /var/log/messages on the remote machine
    (or possibly on the access point, if this is running Linux),
    and also /etc/dhcpd.conf .

    Is the ESSID definitely correct?

    I'd look too at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    to see that the settings there are correct.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  7. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    On 11 Jun, 12:27, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Dawson wrote:
    > >> What does iwconfig say?
    > >> And "iwlist scan ..."?

    > > dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    > > lo no wireless extensions.

    > > eth0 no wireless extensions.

    > > eth1 unassociated ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    > > Mode:Managed Frequency=nan kHz Access Point: Not-
    > > Associated
    > > Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
    > > Retry limit:15 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > > Power Managementff
    > > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:5483 Missed beacon:0

    > > dawson@dawson-laptop:~$ iwlist scan
    > > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    > > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    > > eth1 Scan completed :
    > > Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:10B:3B:CD
    > > ESSID:"hippy_commune"
    > > Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
    > > Mode:Master
    > > Channel:6
    > > Encryption keyff
    > > Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    > > 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36
    > > Mb/s
    > > 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    > > Quality=92/100 Signal level=-39 dBm Noise
    > > level=-39 dBm
    > > Extra: Last beacon: 480ms ago

    > So at least it sees the access point.
    >
    > I should say that I'm no expert.
    > If the access point is using dhcp,
    > I would look at this,
    > eg by looking at /var/log/messages on the remote machine
    > (or possibly on the access point, if this is running Linux),
    > and also /etc/dhcpd.conf .
    >
    > Is the ESSID definitely correct?
    >
    > I'd look too at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    > to see that the settings there are correct.
    >
    > --
    > Timothy Murphy
    > e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
    > tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

    I'm not sure really, I just click on the network icon, select the SSID
    and click connect, and it says connection fails. This is with my new
    linksys router -- it worked fine before with the BT Broadband Hub we
    were originally using. So I figured it must be the Linksys hardware
    configuration, but on disabling authentication and allowing free
    access, it's still not working -- i'm stumped.

  8. Re: Linksys Wireless Router 2.4-GHz, Ubuntu, not working

    Dawson wrote:

    > I'm not sure really, I just click on the network icon, select the SSID
    > and click connect, and it says connection fails. This is with my new
    > linksys router -- it worked fine before with the BT Broadband Hub we
    > were originally using. So I figured it must be the Linksys hardware
    > configuration, but on disabling authentication and allowing free
    > access, it's still not working -- i'm stumped.

    As I said, I am no expert,
    but how do you know the access point does not have an encryption key set?

    I have a LinkSys WRT54GL.
    I can access this over the web and set or unset the ESSID and key.

    Also, are there any dhcpd entries in /var/log/messages
    on the remote machine?