Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN - Networking

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN - Networking ; DSL gateway: 192.168.0.1 D-Link router: 192.168.1.1 WinXP 192.168.1.100 Linux 192.168.1.101 I can open a shell to the linux machine. I can ping the linux machine. I cannot ping the WinXP machine from the linux machine. The linux machine can get ...

  1. Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    DSL gateway: 192.168.0.1
    D-Link router: 192.168.1.1

    WinXP 192.168.1.100
    Linux 192.168.1.101

    I can open a shell to the linux machine. I can ping the linux
    machine. I cannot ping the WinXP machine from the linux machine. The
    linux machine can get to the internet and can successfully ping
    cnn.com. It can also ping both the DSL modem and the router.

    I've read over a good many posts on here about the same subject but I
    was not able to find an answer specific to my problem. I'm not
    worried about samba. This is more about the linux machine hosting an
    oracle database and running an application server that needs to be
    accessed by the WinXP machine on the LAN.

    What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machine cannot see the
    WinXP machine.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    lucren3@gmail.com wrote:
    > DSL gateway: 192.168.0.1

    Microsoft Windows does not behave well with 255.255.0.0 netmask addresses.
    I would try and extend the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and
    change the address of the DSL gateway to 192.168.1.xxx if possible.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    lucren3@gmail.com wrote:

    > DSL gateway: 192.168.0.1
    > D-Link router: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > WinXP 192.168.1.100
    > Linux 192.168.1.101
    >
    > I can open a shell to the linux machine. I can ping the linux
    > machine. I cannot ping the WinXP machine from the linux machine. The
    > linux machine can get to the internet and can successfully ping
    > cnn.com. It can also ping both the DSL modem and the router.
    >
    > I've read over a good many posts on here about the same subject but I
    > was not able to find an answer specific to my problem. I'm not
    > worried about samba. This is more about the linux machine hosting an
    > oracle database and running an application server that needs to be
    > accessed by the WinXP machine on the LAN.
    >
    > What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    > an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    > troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machine cannot see the
    > WinXP machine.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Is your XP machine running SP2?
    If so, is the firewall enabled?
    I believe the default firewall settings in XP SP2 is not to reply on ping.
    You might have to change some firewall settings, at least during the Oracle
    install.

    Verify that the netmask (255.255.254.0?) on both Linux and Windows is the
    same.

    Regards,
    Tore

  4. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:00:24 +0000, lucren3 rearranged some electrons to
    form:

    > DSL gateway: 192.168.0.1
    > D-Link router: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > WinXP 192.168.1.100
    > Linux 192.168.1.101
    >
    > I can open a shell to the linux machine. I can ping the linux
    > machine. I cannot ping the WinXP machine from the linux machine. The
    > linux machine can get to the internet and can successfully ping
    > cnn.com. It can also ping both the DSL modem and the router.
    >
    > I've read over a good many posts on here about the same subject but I
    > was not able to find an answer specific to my problem. I'm not
    > worried about samba. This is more about the linux machine hosting an
    > oracle database and running an application server that needs to be
    > accessed by the WinXP machine on the LAN.
    >
    > What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    > an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    > troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machine cannot see the
    > WinXP machine.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Sounds like you need to change your Windoze firewall settings, a
    discussion of this, of course, would be off-topic in this NG.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  5. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:00:24 +0000, lucren wrote:

    > What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    > an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    > troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machine cannot see the
    > WinXP machine.

    Windows does not have xsever (sic). Did you install one?

  6. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    On Jun 10, 7:41 am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:00:24 +0000, lucren wrote:
    > > What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    > > an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    > > troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machinecannotsee the
    > > WinXP machine.

    > Windows does not have xsever (sic). Did you install one?

    Here's how this was resolved:

    WinXP firewall was turned off. ZoneAlarm unblocked traffic from
    192.168.1.101. WinAxe was installed as the xserver.

    I was able to successfully install the oracle instance and the
    application server.

    What remains is that I'm not able to access the management pages for
    the oracle instance from WinXP. The hostname is set on the linux
    machine, both in /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network. The app pages
    load fine from the linux machine. (httpd.conf ServerName is set
    correctly to match the hostname of the linux machine). I have the
    entry in the windows /etc/hosts as:

    192.168.1.101 servername.domain.com (in example). I'm able to ping
    the linux box by servername.domain.com, but can't get pages from the
    linux machine to load on the WinXP:

    http://severname.domain.com/em (in example)

    I'm not sure what I'm overlooking, but based on the previous firewall
    issues I wouldn't be so bold to think its not something simple.

    Thoughts?

  7. Re: Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN

    On Jun 10, 9:11 am, lucr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 7:41 am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:00:24 +0000, lucren wrote:
    > > > What brought this to the surface was trying to install oracle through
    > > > an xsever. The DISPLAY=192.168.1.100:0.0 but this failed...started
    > > > troubleshooting and it appears that the linux machinecannotsee the
    > > > WinXP machine.

    > > Windows does not have xsever (sic). Did you install one?

    > Here's how this was resolved:
    >
    > WinXP firewall was turned off. ZoneAlarm unblocked traffic from
    > 192.168.1.101. WinAxe was installed as the xserver.
    >
    > I was able to successfully install the oracle instance and the
    > application server.
    >
    > What remains is that I'm not able to access the management pages for
    > the oracle instance from WinXP. The hostname is set on the linux
    > machine, both in /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network. The app pages
    > load fine from the linux machine. (httpd.conf ServerName is set
    > correctly to match the hostname of the linux machine). I have the
    > entry in the windows /etc/hosts as:
    >
    > 192.168.1.101 servername.domain.com (in example). I'm able to ping
    > the linux box by servername.domain.com, but can't get pages from the
    > linux machine to load on the WinXP:
    >
    > http://severname.domain.com/em(in example)
    >
    > I'm not sure what I'm overlooking, but based on the previous firewall
    > issues I wouldn't be so bold to think its not something simple.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    This is definately firewall related; likely down at the router level.
    I'm going to close this out and get off this group.

    Folks, thank you very much for the help and guidance. Much
    appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread