Enable root access to telnet with krb5-telnet - Networking

This is a discussion on Enable root access to telnet with krb5-telnet - Networking ; Hello All, I would like to enable root login access to telnet on Fedora Core 6. I am able to telnet to using a normal user, but not as a root user. 1) making changes to /etc/securetty with adding pts/0, ...

  1. Enable root access to telnet with krb5-telnet

    Hello All,
    I would like to enable root login access to telnet on Fedora Core 6.
    I am able to telnet to using a normal user, but not as a root user.
    1) making changes to /etc/securetty with adding pts/0, pts/1 etc did
    not help.
    2) Removing the /etc/securetty file did not help.
    3) Commenting out the auth entries in /etc/pam.d/login did not help.
    4) If I disable krb5-telnet and install telnet-server rpm, the telnet
    as root works on local system but a remote putty access is not
    working.

    My requirement is: I would like to login as root when telnet to my
    remote Fedora Core6.

    "Yes, I know. telnet is insecure, but this experiment is completely
    inhouse and I _want_ to use telnet only"

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Senthil

  2. Re: Enable root access to telnet with krb5-telnet

    This is OP again, any suggestions for my below problem..

    On Jun 6, 6:58 pm, Phoe6 wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > I would like to enable root login access to telnet on Fedora Core 6.
    > I am able to telnet to using a normal user, but not as a root user.
    > 1) making changes to /etc/securetty with adding pts/0, pts/1 etc did
    > not help.
    > 2) Removing the /etc/securetty file did not help.
    > 3) Commenting out the auth entries in /etc/pam.d/login did not help.
    > 4) If I disable krb5-telnet and install telnet-server rpm, the telnet
    > as root works on local system but a remote putty access is not
    > working.
    >
    > My requirement is: I would like to login as root when telnet to my
    > remote Fedora Core6.
    >
    > "Yes, I know. telnet is insecure, but this experiment is completely
    > inhouse and I _want_ to use telnet only"
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Senthil

  3. Re: Enable root access to telnet with krb5-telnet

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:44:43 -0700, Phoe6 rearranged some electrons to
    form:

    > This is OP again, any suggestions for my below problem..

    Maybe it's because what you want to do is a very bad idea, and no one
    wants to help you implement a bad idea.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled