Can't get eth0 up (wired) - e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. - Networking

This is a discussion on Can't get eth0 up (wired) - e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. - Networking ; Hello, I've got a thinkpad with wifi and the regular ethernet connection. wifi works, but I'm having trouble getting the wired connection to work. I've got the appropriate driver for the card (Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile)) Here ...

  1. Can't get eth0 up (wired) - e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

    Hello,

    I've got a thinkpad with wifi and the regular ethernet connection.
    wifi works, but I'm having trouble getting the wired connection to
    work. I've got the appropriate driver for the card (Intel Corporation
    82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile))

    Here is the error:

    # ifup eth0
    e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying
    initialization.

    So now I'm wondering - does /dev/eth0 exist? It doesn't. Should it?
    I also see that /dev/eth1 doesn't exist, but eth1 (wifi) works without
    a problem.

    The driver for the card is loaded as a module:

    # lsmod | grep e1000
    e1000 102829 0

    # grep eth0 /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias eth0 e1000

    But this one is weird. I *think* the wired connection is eth0, and
    hwbrowser does show eth0 as the device associated with the wired
    connection, but I see eth1, not eth0, associated with this interface
    during boot:

    # dmesg | grep eth1
    e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

    Can anyone shed any light on this, and on that error above?
    I desperately need this wired connection, as I'm nowhere near any
    wifis

    Any help would be veeeeeeeeeery much appreciated - I had to post this
    using WinXP!

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Can't get eth0 up (wired) - e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:24:47 -0700, OtisUsenet wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a thinkpad with wifi and the regular ethernet connection.
    > wifi works, but I'm having trouble getting the wired connection to
    > work.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 2.9

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (ethernet,usb, wireless,...) .

    Something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a url so we can try it.

    So, we need to see what you have setup so far.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidexterous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/
    If you do not want some malware writting to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access if you have not created a FAT partition to
    exchange files between OSs.
    I do recommend removing the windows/linux file system driver after you get the
    linux network up.
    Makes your Windows AntiVirus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you respond with linux settings.

    If using linux for usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users, sudo $HOME/xx should work.
    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example: sudo /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line -----------------------
    #!/bin/bash
    #******** start of xx.txt script ****************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    echo ======== cat $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them path to $PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "CLick up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo ======== echo $PATH ========== >> $_out_fn
    echo $PATH > $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    echo ======== cat /etc/*release ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*release >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== uname -rvi ============= >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    echo ======== cat /etc/*version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== cat /proc/version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /proc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== lsb_release -a ========== >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL >> $_out_fn

    echo ======== free ========== >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== chkconfig --list ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo ======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d > $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo ======== grep hosts: $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    echo ======== hostname ========== >> $_out_fn
    hostname >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo ================ ifconfig -a =============== >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a > $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo ============== route -n ================= >> $_out_fn
    route -n > $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo ============== head -15 /etc/hosts =============== >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate

    _cmd=""
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="ethtool"
    fi

    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="mii-tool -v"
    fi

    if [ -z "$_cmd" ] ; then
    echo ======== mii-tool/ethtool NOT INSTALLED ========== >> $_out_fn
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ -n "$_cmd" ] ; then
    $_cmd eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== $_cmd eth$nic ========== >> $_out_fn
    $_cmd eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    echo ==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al === >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep -v '^#' $_f > $_out_fn
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "======= end of config/network data dump ===========" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********
    ----------- script ends above this line --------------------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone elses.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive

    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/whever/you saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux filesystem driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
    Remember to remove it to allow your Windows AntiVirus scanner to run faster.

  3. Re: Can't get eth0 up (wired) - e1000 device eth0 does not seem tobe present, delaying initialization.

    OtisUsenet wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a thinkpad with wifi and the regular ethernet connection.
    > wifi works, but I'm having trouble getting the wired connection to
    > work. I've got the appropriate driver for the card (Intel Corporation
    > 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile))
    >
    > Here is the error:
    >
    > # ifup eth0
    > e1000 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying
    > initialization.
    >
    > So now I'm wondering - does /dev/eth0 exist? It doesn't. Should it?
    > I also see that /dev/eth1 doesn't exist, but eth1 (wifi) works without
    > a problem.
    >
    > The driver for the card is loaded as a module:
    >
    > # lsmod | grep e1000
    > e1000 102829 0
    >
    > # grep eth0 /etc/modprobe.conf
    > alias eth0 e1000
    >
    > But this one is weird. I *think* the wired connection is eth0, and
    > hwbrowser does show eth0 as the device associated with the wired
    > connection, but I see eth1, not eth0, associated with this interface
    > during boot:
    >
    > # dmesg | grep eth1
    > e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this, and on that error above?
    > I desperately need this wired connection, as I'm nowhere near any
    > wifis

    The output of ifconfig will show all the network devices, and iwconfig will show wireless devices.

    The naming of network interfaces is controlled by /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules.
    Check that for references to the MAC address of your e1000.

    Larry

+ Reply to Thread