CPU usage with UDP sockets - Networking

This is a discussion on CPU usage with UDP sockets - Networking ; I have written an application that streams UDP video data to multiple clients. Compared to other comparable aystems, my CPU usage is pretty high...sending data to around 60 clients consumes around 18-20 % of the cpu in the (very powerful) ...

  1. CPU usage with UDP sockets

    I have written an application that streams UDP video data to multiple
    clients. Compared to other comparable aystems, my CPU usage is pretty
    high...sending data to around 60 clients consumes around 18-20 % of
    the cpu in the (very powerful) machine. I have two (boost library) UDP
    sockets that sends audio and video to the clients. My question is
    this: Which is generally best when sending UDP data to multiple/many
    clients? One or many sockets??
    TIA

  2. Re: CPU usage with UDP sockets

    yoddeb@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have written an application that streams UDP video data to
    > multiple clients. Compared to other comparable aystems, my CPU usage
    > is pretty high...sending data to around 60 clients consumes around
    > 18-20 % of the cpu in the (very powerful) machine. I have two (boost
    > library) UDP sockets that sends audio and video to the clients. My
    > question is this: Which is generally best when sending UDP data to
    > multiple/many clients? One or many sockets??

    Probably one of those "it depends" answers... do you have multiple
    processors in the server? If so, you might want multiple sockets, one
    per processor. Either with multiple threads, or multiple processes,
    so you can take advantage of the available CPU resources.

    Similarly, even if you have only one processor/core/whatever in the
    box, if you have a socket per destination, you can connect() that
    socket to the destination and IIRC avoid things like route lookups on
    each send.

    rick jones