multicasting - newbie queries - Networking

This is a discussion on multicasting - newbie queries - Networking ; Hi, I Have a network interface, I have assigned an unicast IP adress to it. Can i assign a multicast IP address to it?. (ie Class D IP address)? My question is -1) When i join an multicast group - ...

  1. multicasting - newbie queries

    Hi,
    I Have a network interface, I have assigned an unicast IP adress to
    it.

    Can i assign a multicast IP address to it?. (ie Class D IP
    address)?

    My question is -1) When i join an multicast group - does that mean
    that i have assigned the
    IP address of my interface to multicast IP address?.

    In otherwords what will be the source address of the IP packet sent
    by a machine which
    belongs to a multicast group?.

    If i have 2 interfaces - how is this handled - can i specify a
    multicast IP address to one
    ethernet interface and a unicast ipaddress to another?.

    could u please clarify?.

    Regards,
    john.

  2. Re: multicasting - newbie queries

    On May 31, 2:28 pm, john.maxi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I Have a network interface, I have assigned an unicast IP adress to
    > it.
    >
    > Can i assign a multicast IP address to it?. (ie Class D IP
    > address)?

    That wouldn't be meaningful.

    > My question is -1) When i join an multicast group - does that mean
    > that i have assigned the IP address of my interface to multicast IP address?

    No, it means that you've sent a message to the router to forward that
    multicast traffic to you.

    > In otherwords what will be the source address of the IP packet sent
    > by a machine which belongs to a multicast group?.

    The source IP of multicast packets is an IP address in the A-C range.
    (If there's an exception to this, I'm not thinking of it.)

+ Reply to Thread