wireless-tools problem on embedded linux - Networking

This is a discussion on wireless-tools problem on embedded linux - Networking ; Hi everyone, My problem is that my wireless-tools (iwconfig, iwlist) return strange Bit Rate and Frequency values. I'm trying to set up a wireless ad-hoc network using a DWL-G122verC1 USB dongle and colibri linux board with a pxa270 arm processor. ...

  1. wireless-tools problem on embedded linux

    Hi everyone,

    My problem is that my wireless-tools (iwconfig, iwlist) return strange
    Bit Rate and Frequency values.

    I'm trying to set up a wireless ad-hoc network using a DWL-G122verC1
    USB dongle and colibri linux board with a pxa270 arm processor. I'm
    using the rt73.ko module downloadable from here:http://
    http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html.

    I compiled the newest wireless-tools.28 with the flag BUILD_NOLIBM = y
    to make it runnable on my embedded linux platform (otherwise I get an
    illegal instruction).

    This is the output of iwconfig for my usb wireless interface:
    ---------
    >iwconfig rausb0

    rausb0 RT73 WLAN ESSID:"MAVnet"
    Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency=-2.50749e-116 G Cell: 2A:
    22:A4:3D:C2:B3
    Bit Rate=5.31729e-315 Mb/s
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=91/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise level:-79
    dBm
    ---------

    Additional info:
    ---------
    >iwconfig --version

    iwconfig Wireless-Tools version 28
    Compatible with Wireless Extension v11 to v20.

    Kernel Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v17.

    eth0 Recommend Wireless Extension v0 or later,
    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v0.

    rausb0 Recommend Wireless Extension v14 or later,
    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v17.

    >uname -r

    2.6.12.4-col2
    -----------

    As you saw, Bit rate=5.31729e-315 Mb/s and Frequency=-2.50749e-116 G.
    Could this be a format problem? I've tried ">iwconfig rausb0 rate 11M"
    without result.

    Any ideas would be welcome!!
    Sabine

  2. Re: wireless-tools problem on embedded linux

    sabine.hauert@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > My problem is that my wireless-tools (iwconfig, iwlist) return strange
    > Bit Rate and Frequency values.
    >
    > I'm trying to set up a wireless ad-hoc network using a DWL-G122verC1
    > USB dongle and colibri linux board with a pxa270 arm processor. I'm
    > using the rt73.ko module downloadable from here:http://
    > http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html.
    >
    > I compiled the newest wireless-tools.28 with the flag BUILD_NOLIBM = y
    > to make it runnable on my embedded linux platform (otherwise I get an
    > illegal instruction).

    You may want to double check that the driver and the kernel have
    been compiled against the exact same version of wireless extensions
    as your tools.

    The wireless extension APIs have changed significantly between
    versions.

    Kind regards,

    Iwo

  3. Re: wireless-tools problem on embedded linux

    Iwo Mergler wrote:
    > sabine.hauert@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> My problem is that my wireless-tools (iwconfig, iwlist) return strange
    >> Bit Rate and Frequency values.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to set up a wireless ad-hoc network using a DWL-G122verC1
    >> USB dongle and colibri linux board with a pxa270 arm processor. I'm
    >> using the rt73.ko module downloadable from here:http://
    >> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html.
    >>
    >> I compiled the newest wireless-tools.28 with the flag BUILD_NOLIBM = y
    >> to make it runnable on my embedded linux platform (otherwise I get an
    >> illegal instruction).
    >>

    > You may want to double check that the driver and the kernel have
    > been compiled against the exact same version of wireless extensions
    > as your tools.
    >
    > The wireless extension APIs have changed significantly between
    > versions.

    Although Iwo is correct that WEXT has changed significantly, it is unlikely that this is your
    problem. Would your bit rates and frequency values make sense if they were rescaled by 100000, or
    some other power of 10? If so, the driver or MAC layer, whichever is handling the WEXT ioctl's, has
    just such a scaling problem.

    Which kernel are you using?

    Larry

+ Reply to Thread