(Slightly OT) Very odd wireless networking problem - Networking

This is a discussion on (Slightly OT) Very odd wireless networking problem - Networking ; Hey, First of all, I appologise for being slightly offtopic. I've tried researching the solution to this answer and this is a kind of last resort, so if someone can help me (without flaming) it'd be massivley appreciated. Essentially my ...

  1. (Slightly OT) Very odd wireless networking problem

    Hey,

    First of all, I appologise for being slightly offtopic. I've tried
    researching the solution to this answer and this is a kind of last
    resort, so if someone can help me (without flaming) it'd be massivley
    appreciated.

    Essentially my Mac (10.4.9) has major issues connecting to my home
    wireless network.

    I run the following machines at home:
    2x WinXP
    1x Win2K3 Server
    1x Linux box (desktop not server)
    1x MacOS X

    Where I live I'm unable to get any form of broadband other than
    satellite so I'm stuck with dialup. I use my 2K3 server at DHCP and
    dial up server (192.168.0.1 [gateway]), have my router set to not
    function as DHCP and as such has a static IP (192.168.0.2).

    When I'm on wireless, whether I'm running Linux or Windows, I have no
    trouble accessing any network resources (shares, servers, internet,
    etc) and DHCP allocates IP addresses automatically.

    When I run my Mac on wireless, I can not get a DHCP allocated IP. When
    I try to set networking information manually (IP, Gateway, subnet
    mask) I have VERY VERY strange results. When I have another PC on
    wireless, I can access only that PC from the Mac, none of the cabled
    computers (NAS, file server, etc). With Linux and Windows I can access
    both wired and wireless.

    Does any one have any idea on what the hell is causing this? It makes
    sense as to why DHCP isn't automatically giving an IP if it's having
    trouble accessing the DHCP server which is wired to the network.

    Much appreciate the replies.

    Sam

  2. Re: (Slightly OT) Very odd wireless networking problem

    On 30 May 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    <1180535089.907574.211950@g37g2000prf.googlegroups. com>,
    unclesam1984@gmail.com wrote:

    >First of all, I appologise for being slightly offtopic. I've tried
    >researching the solution to this answer and this is a kind of last
    >resort, so if someone can help me (without flaming) it'd be massivley
    >appreciated.

    For the wireless end, try 'alt.internet.wireless' which google does
    carry. Be sure to identify make, model, and O/S version, or you aren't
    going to get much help. As for the Mac, you're probably going to
    have better luck over in one of the 'comp.sys.mac.*' groups.

    >When I'm on wireless, whether I'm running Linux or Windows, I have no
    >trouble accessing any network resources (shares, servers, internet,
    >etc) and DHCP allocates IP addresses automatically.
    >
    >When I run my Mac on wireless, I can not get a DHCP allocated IP.

    That tells me either there is a firewall problem on the Mac blocking
    DHCP, or the DHCP client isn't working. A remote possibility is a filter
    of some kind on the wireless router.

    >When I try to set networking information manually (IP, Gateway, subnet
    >mask) I have VERY VERY strange results. When I have another PC on
    >wireless, I can access only that PC from the Mac, none of the cabled
    >computers (NAS, file server, etc). With Linux and Windows I can access
    >both wired and wireless.

    This would suggest that the wireless router is ignoring the IP if it
    wasn't the one to assign it. That could be a configuration setting on
    the router. Can you tell the router to assign (grabbing a random number)
    192.168.0.123 as a _static_ address, and then set the Mac to that value?

    Scan the traffic in the 'alt.internet.wireless' newsgroup, and see if
    anyone else has the problem. Obviously you'll need that make/model and
    software version data.

    >Does any one have any idea on what the hell is causing this?

    Not enough details, and wrong newsgroup[s]. Good Luck

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread