piping a group of lines to a program - Networking

This is a discussion on piping a group of lines to a program - Networking ; hi all, i want to send a group of lines to a program in a script shell. now i'm using: echo "line 1" > $TMPFILE echo "line 2" >> $TMPFILE .... echo "line N" >> $TMPFILE cat $TMPFILE | prog ...

  1. piping a group of lines to a program

    hi all,

    i want to send a group of lines to a program in a script shell.

    now i'm using:

    echo "line 1" > $TMPFILE
    echo "line 2" >> $TMPFILE
    echo "line N" >> $TMPFILE

    cat $TMPFILE | prog

    rm -f $TMPFILE

    it seems me very primitive, create / delete a temp file only to
    "group" the lines for piping

    is it any method to pipe these line directly without temp file?

    tks in advance

  2. Re: piping a group of lines to a program

    On 2007-05-30, rhXX wrote:
    > i want to send a group of lines to a program in a script shell.
    >
    > it seems me very primitive, create / delete a temp file only to
    > "group" the lines for piping

    try with:

    prog < line 1
    line 2
    line 3
    EOF

    Davide

    --
    Driving is a video game, with only one life but many cars.
    - from a letter on The Register

  3. Re: piping a group of lines to a program

    rhXX wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > i want to send a group of lines to a program in a script shell.
    >
    > now i'm using:
    >
    > echo "line 1" > $TMPFILE
    > echo "line 2" >> $TMPFILE
    > echo "line N" >> $TMPFILE
    >
    > cat $TMPFILE | prog
    >
    > rm -f $TMPFILE
    >
    > it seems me very primitive, create / delete a temp file only to
    > "group" the lines for piping
    >
    > is it any method to pipe these line directly without temp file?
    >
    > tks in advance

    (echo "line 1"; echo "line 2"; ... ; echo "line N") | prog

  4. Re: piping a group of lines to a program

    ok, tks to all for inmediatly help!

    sincerely

+ Reply to Thread