forbid internet access to an application? - Networking

This is a discussion on forbid internet access to an application? - Networking ; > Bear with me I'm rather new to this. Are you trying to block > applications from your user's side or from the cloud? > From your user's side - wouldn't it be possible to use rlogin (or > some ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: forbid internet access to an application?

    > Bear with me I'm rather new to this. Are you trying to block
    > applications from your user's side or from the cloud?
    > From your user's side - wouldn't it be possible to use rlogin (or
    > some other method to remote login) to the host and allow Internet access
    > only from/through the host? If so, wouldn't it also be true you could
    > set the user/group rights (privileges) to permit only those programs
    > which match the user/group privileges? That is make ping a root only
    > executable so no other user/group can execute/use it.
    > Please excuse me if I missed your point.
    > Dana

    My question was if it's possible to block only some application/files from
    using the network, while using the desktop normally.
    As for now, to me it seems the only option could be through selinux (but I'm
    not sure), and then I should learn how to set it up under gentoo...

  2. Re: forbid internet access to an application?

    On May 30, 1:04 pm, "lucatrv" wrote:
    > > Why not use kiosktool from inside KDE (If you are using KDE that is)?

    > >http://jriddell.org/programs/kiosk-article.html

    > I actually use gnome, and by the way from what I read I couldn't understand
    > how to get the functionality I was talking about (prevent an application
    > from gaining access to the network while having the network functional for
    > the other applications). Thank you anyway, bye.

    OK then, how about using a SQUID proxy? I believe acl's can be set up
    to allow specified logged in users to access the Internet using
    specified applications. I once ran a shorewall firewall with a
    "manual" SQUID proxy (each user had to type in their name and password
    anytime they tried using an application that accessed the Internet) to
    block all Internet-bound applications _except_ mail clients.

    If I'm not mistaken, I was still able to use ping on those machines
    for Intranet work...

    Does this sound more like what you are wanting? There is the
    possibilty of using GConf:

    http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-gui...ockdown-1.html

    but I've never used it before...

    Deion "Mule" Christopher