Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users - Networking

This is a discussion on Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users - Networking ; Hey everyone, Thanks for reading my note. Odd question: I have several mobile users with notebook PCs who do not have internet access at home. I was asked about locating an ISP that is available for our area where we ...

  1. Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

    Hey everyone, Thanks for reading my note.

    Odd question:

    I have several mobile users with notebook PCs who do not have internet
    access at home. I was asked about locating an ISP that is available
    for our area where we could have a single Dial-up account bill for
    these users. We have a web based application where they need to sync
    their data with a company that is hosting our data.

    What I was wondering is this: Is it possible to create a Dial-up
    Linux Server which would be connected to our LAN and then have the
    mobile machine use our LAN's internet connection (cable) to access the
    web (just like it would for a Dial-up ISP) to sync the data? I would
    have no more than 2 users connected at a single time.

    If this is possible, could someone point me to a HowTo or a good
    document to assist me? I located a document "ISP-Server Setup -
    Ubuntu 5.10" ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10 ).
    But it seems to be overkill for what I need and I am not familiar
    enough to know what services I could do without and what I actually
    need.

    Any advice appreciated -

    Mike

  2. Re: Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for MobileUsers

    MikeE wrote:
    > Hey everyone, Thanks for reading my note.
    >
    > Odd question:
    >
    > I have several mobile users with notebook PCs who do not have internet
    > access at home. I was asked about locating an ISP that is available
    > for our area where we could have a single Dial-up account bill for
    > these users. We have a web based application where they need to sync
    > their data with a company that is hosting our data.
    >
    > What I was wondering is this: Is it possible to create a Dial-up
    > Linux Server which would be connected to our LAN and then have the
    > mobile machine use our LAN's internet connection (cable) to access the
    > web (just like it would for a Dial-up ISP) to sync the data? I would
    > have no more than 2 users connected at a single time.
    >
    > If this is possible, could someone point me to a HowTo or a good
    > document to assist me? I located a document "ISP-Server Setup -
    > Ubuntu 5.10" ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10 ).
    > But it seems to be overkill for what I need and I am not familiar
    > enough to know what services I could do without and what I actually
    > need.

    Yes, this is very do-able.
    This link should handle what you want.
    http://www.dcaccess.net/welcome/linu...WTO.html#toc19
    It has been a long time but I used to be a network admin at an ISP.
    I might just remember enough to answer any more questions you might have.

  3. Re: Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for MobileUsers

    > Yes, this is very do-able.
    > This link should handle what you want.
    > http://www.dcaccess.net/welcome/linu...WTO.html#toc19
    > It has been a long time but I used to be a network admin at an ISP.
    > I might just remember enough to answer any more questions you might
    > have.

    *blech*
    Ignore the anchor. The link should simply be
    http://www.dcaccess.net/welcome/linux/PPP-HOWTO.html

  4. Re: Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

    On May 24, 11:32 am, sai...@creepjoint.net wrote:
    > > Yes, this is very do-able.
    > > This link should handle what you want.
    > >http://www.dcaccess.net/welcome/linu...WTO.html#toc19
    > > It has been a long time but I used to be a network admin at an ISP.
    > > I might just remember enough to answer any more questions you might
    > > have.

    > *blech*
    > Ignore the anchor. The link should simply behttp://www.dcaccess.net/welcome/linux/PPP-HOWTO.html

    Thanks for the link. I've been tied up with desktop machine installs
    and I'm just now getting back to looking into this. Thanks again for
    the link!

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread