Flood ping - Networking

This is a discussion on Flood ping - Networking ; What is "ping -f"? What are his possible applies? Is it illegal on ADSL connection?...

  1. Flood ping

    What is "ping -f"? What are his possible applies? Is it illegal on ADSL
    connection?

  2. Re: Flood ping

    "Konrado5" writes:

    >What is "ping -f"? What are his possible applies? Is it illegal on ADSL
    >connection?

    If you have to ask, do not use it. It is certainly not illegal. It may mean
    that your ADSL provider shuts down your connection and refuses to allow you
    to have another. But that is between you and him and has nothing to do with
    the law.

  3. Re: Flood ping

    Hello,

    Konrado5 wrote:

    > What is "ping -f"? What are his possible applies? Is it illegal on
    > ADSL connection?

    It is useful to saturate a LAN to check the hardware for packet loss. It
    generates tons of traffic in a short amount of time, so it might be a
    problem for your traffic limits. I think ADSL connections usually are
    conservatively configured to make sure that the quality of transmission
    is good enough, so there should be no noticable packet loss at the
    level you could test with ping -f.

    Due to the Assymetric in ADSL flood-ping is essentially non-sense,
    because the direction down could not be saturated this way, because a
    flood ping creates the same traffic in both directions, capped by the
    up direction, here.

    Bernd Strieder

  4. Re: Flood ping

    Uzytkownik "Bernd Strieder" napisal w
    wiadomosci news:f31o8c$bg9$1@news.uni-kl.de...
    > Due to the Assymetric in ADSL flood-ping is essentially non-sense,
    > because the direction down could not be saturated this way, because a
    > flood ping creates the same traffic in both directions, capped by the
    > up direction, here.

    What way can I check the packet loss on ADSL connection (upload: 256 Kbps,
    download: 1 Mbps)? The ping is insecure because it sends a few packets.

  5. Re: Flood ping

    Konrado5 wrote:

    > Uzytkownik "Bernd Strieder" napisal w
    > wiadomosci news:f31o8c$bg9$1@news.uni-kl.de...
    >> Due to the Assymetric in ADSL flood-ping is essentially non-sense,
    >> because the direction down could not be saturated this way, because a
    >> flood ping creates the same traffic in both directions, capped by the
    >> up direction, here.

    > What way can I check the packet loss on ADSL connection (upload: 256
    > Kbps, download: 1 Mbps)? The ping is insecure because it sends a few
    > packets.

    Some ADSL modems might have statistics for this in their
    Web-configuration dialogs, e.g. how often packets are retransmitted,
    connections teminated and whatever.

    Usually a significant error rate causes the connection to get really
    slow or even break or taking long to connect. If you get a download
    rate considerably less than you pay for, then your ISP might be able to
    reconfigure the hardware to either a lower but more secure rate or to
    stabilize the rate. This will be done by measuring the line quality at
    a level below IP, which you have no access to as user. Maybe there are
    settings in the ADSL modem to influence its operation at this level,
    but this cannot be expected.

    You can try to find out your maximal download rate, by e.g. downloading
    from several servers in parallel where each of them alone possibly gets
    near to your maximum rate. This should be like what you pay for, or
    there is a problem.

    The same might be possible for the upload direction.

    Bernd Strieder

  6. Re: Flood ping

    "Konrado5" writes:

    >Uzytkownik "Bernd Strieder" napisal w
    >wiadomosci news:f31o8c$bg9$1@news.uni-kl.de...
    >> Due to the Assymetric in ADSL flood-ping is essentially non-sense,
    >> because the direction down could not be saturated this way, because a
    >> flood ping creates the same traffic in both directions, capped by the
    >> up direction, here.

    >What way can I check the packet loss on ADSL connection (upload: 256 Kbps,
    >download: 1 Mbps)? The ping is insecure because it sends a few packets.

    YOu know if you told us the problem you are trying to solve, we might be
    able to come up with solutions, rather than trying out various bad
    suggestions on us.

  7. Re: Flood ping

    Użytkownik "Unruh" napisał w wiadomości
    > YOu know if you told us the problem you are trying to solve, we might be
    > able to come up with solutions, rather than trying out various bad
    > suggestions on us.

    I like to check the quality of connection. I want to know whether my
    connection is perfect. On http://myvoispeed.visualware.com I have got 0%
    packet loss but the jitter is too much (about 5 ms). On the
    http://www.numion.com/maxspeed I have got weak regularity (fair, good, very
    good) for download but upload is always excellent.

  8. Re: Flood ping

    "Konrado5" writes:

    >Użytkownik "Unruh" napisał w wiadomości
    >> YOu know if you told us the problem you are trying to solve, we might be
    >> able to come up with solutions, rather than trying out various bad
    >> suggestions on us.

    >I like to check the quality of connection. I want to know whether my
    >connection is perfect. On http://myvoispeed.visualware.com I have got 0%
    >packet loss but the jitter is too much (about 5 ms). On the

    That has almost nothing to do with download speeds. On a download you are
    pushing large packets through continually. With ping you are occasionally
    sending and then receiving a packet.

    Just grab a large file and download it and upload it, and check for time
    and ethernet packet errors.

    >http://www.numion.com/maxspeed I have got weak regularity (fair, good, very
    >good) for download but upload is always excellent.

    And now you want to use ping why?
    (For regularity, All Bran is much better than ping)

    You have measured your upload and downloads. They will depend crucially on
    how full the net is, how many people are using it, etc. Eg my download
    speed was somewhere between 14 and 80Kb/s, which since the computer is on a
    100Mb ethernet is pretty good. That fluctuation is not surprizing.

    Upload was from 1.5 to 5.
    What exactly worries you?

  9. Re: Flood ping

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:23:54 +0200, Konrado5 rearranged some electrons to
    form:

    > I have got weak regularity

    Try some oat bran.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)

  10. Re: Flood ping

    > What exactly worries you?

    For me the latency, packet loss and jitter is important. For example I'd
    like to perfect SSH, Skype. I like to search a hole in the total.

+ Reply to Thread