error trying to mount XP shares - Networking

This is a discussion on error trying to mount XP shares - Networking ; Hi I've got Samba running on my home network of 5 machines and the XP machines can see the shares on the Linux machines and smbclient -L lists all the shares from the 2 XP machines. Smbclient //server/share connects and ...

  1. error trying to mount XP shares

    Hi
    I've got Samba running on my home network of 5 machines and the XP
    machines can see the shares on the Linux machines and smbclient -L
    lists all the shares from the 2 XP machines. Smbclient //server/share
    connects and starts a ftp session with the file structure visable.
    But this is what I get trying to mount.

    [root@ mnt]# mount -t smbfs //server/share /mnt/dun
    Password: (note: no password sent on blank)
    smb_retry: no connection process
    smb_add_request: request [c831be00, mid=0] timed out!
    smb_delete_inode: could not close inode 2

    The strange part is this was working before the other XP,home edition,
    box suffered a hard drive failure and some changes were made in order
    to get the XP home edition to be able to see all the Linux machines.
    Security was changed to "Security = share" and encrypted password were
    commented out, also this machine became the preferred master.

    heres the smb.conf

    [global]
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

    load printers = yes

    printing = cups

    cups options = raw

    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50

    smb ports = 139

    security = share

    os level = 33

    preferred master = yes

    name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

    wins support = yes

    dns proxy = no

    ==============================
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind use default domain = no
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

    [public]
    comment = Public Stuff
    path = /archive
    public = yes
    browseable=yes
    read only = no
    writable = yes

    [Insignia-Arc]
    comment = Archive
    path = /Archive-Insignia
    public = yes
    browseable=yes
    read only = no
    writable = yes

    [tom]
    comment = Tom's Home
    path = /home/tom
    valid users = tom
    browseable=yes
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no

    Thanks
    Jim

  2. Re: error trying to mount XP shares

    On May 22, 9:55 am, "n...@hoodcanal.com" wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > security = share
    >
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    >
    > os level = 33
    >
    > preferred master = yes
    >
    > name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
    >
    > wins support = yes
    >
    > dns proxy = no
    >
    > #============================ Share Definitions
    > ==============================
    > idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    > idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    > template shell = /bin/false
    > winbind use default domain = no
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > browseable = no
    > # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print

    Well...... when this machine was returned to run level 5....... well
    now the smb connection works.

    Thanks
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread