pppd ip-up.d script not executing - Networking

This is a discussion on pppd ip-up.d script not executing - Networking ; Hi All Can anyone shine some light on this problem I'm having! I'm currently running a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem on Ubuntu Server 7.04. I can connect and get a working connection and manually run my iptables script but i ...

  1. pppd ip-up.d script not executing

    Hi All

    Can anyone shine some light on this problem I'm having! I'm currently
    running a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem on Ubuntu Server 7.04. I can
    connect and get a working connection and manually run my iptables
    script but i can not get ppp to run my script located in

    /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/

    i have set the file permission of this script to 700 and is owned by
    root. the script that runs is simple and like say can be run manually
    from the command line.

    code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables-restore < /etc/network/iptables.up.rules

    Aim i missing something hear. The man pages say this is the right
    place, and i think the other scripts in the ip-up.d directory are
    being executed, namely 0000usepeerdns 0dns-up or i would not get my
    peer dns server addresses placed into resolv.conf.

    Can anyone help

    Thanks Tom

  2. Re: pppd ip-up.d script not executing

    Hello,

    TopperUK a écrit :

    > Can anyone shine some light on this problem I'm having! I'm currently
    > running a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem on Ubuntu Server 7.04. I can
    > connect and get a working connection and manually run my iptables
    > script but i can not get ppp to run my script located in
    >
    > /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/
    >
    > i have set the file permission of this script to 700 and is owned by
    > root. the script that runs is simple and like say can be run manually
    > from the command line.
    >
    > code:
    > #!/bin/sh
    > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    > iptables-restore < /etc/network/iptables.up.rules

    If Ubuntu works like Debian, scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and the like
    are run using run-parts. You can check it in the /etc/ppp/ip-up script.
    IIRC, scripts must meet the following three conditions in order to work
    with run-parts :

    - be executable (seems ok) ;
    - start with the interpreter definition #!/path/interpreter (seems ok) ;
    - the filename must contain only letters, digits, underscores and
    hyphens [a-zA-Z_-] ; it must not contain periods like in "script.sh".

    You can check which scripts run-parts would run in a directory with the
    --test option :

    # run-parts --test /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

  3. Re: pppd ip-up.d script not executing

    TopperUK wrote:
    > Can anyone shine some light on this problem I'm having! I'm currently
    > running a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem on Ubuntu Server 7.04.

    These are some notes, provided by a friend of mine running Ubuntu using the same
    modem.

    http://markhobley.yi.org:8000/PPPThomp330

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: pppd ip-up.d script not executing

    TopperUK wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Can anyone shine some light on this problem I'm having! I'm currently
    > running a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem on Ubuntu Server 7.04. I can
    > connect and get a working connection and manually run my iptables
    > script but i can not get ppp to run my script located in
    >
    > /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/
    >
    > i have set the file permission of this script to 700 and is owned by
    > root. the script that runs is simple and like say can be run manually
    > from the command line.
    >

    > code:
    > #!/bin/sh
    > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    > iptables-restore < /etc/network/iptables.up.rules
    >

    > Aim i missing something hear. The man pages say this is the right
    > place, and i think the other scripts in the ip-up.d directory are
    > being executed, namely 0000usepeerdns 0dns-up or i would not get my
    > peer dns server addresses placed into resolv.conf.
    >
    > Can anyone help
    >
    > Thanks Tom

    Try preceeding the iptables-restore command with the full path

    if that doesn't help try 755 permission

+ Reply to Thread