Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN - Networking

This is a discussion on Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN - Networking ; Hi ALL, I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them and ...

  1. Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN

    Hi ALL,

    I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even
    though xinetd server [telnet server ] is running. nmap reports telnet
    port to be open. But connection is not getting established. I would
    like to know the exact reason for the problem.

    Regards,
    Madhur

  2. Re: Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN

    Madhur wrote:

    > Hi ALL,
    >
    > I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    > to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    > machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    > and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    > with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    > connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even
    > though xinetd server [telnet server ] is running. nmap reports telnet
    > port to be open. But connection is not getting established. I would
    > like to know the exact reason for the problem.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Madhur

    /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?

    firewall? "iptables -L" as root to see

    I would expect telnet to be more or less crippled by default as it's not
    secure on the opne internet (login and password go unencrypted). Most peple
    use ssh (daemon + client on linux, Putty ssh client on windows).

    HTH

    Tim

  3. Re: Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN

    On Monday 21 May 2007 13:19, Madhur wrote:

    > I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    > to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    > machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    > and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    > with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    > connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even
    > though xinetd server [telnet server ] is running. nmap reports telnet
    > port to be open. But connection is not getting established. I would
    > like to know the exact reason for the problem.

    Can't help you, unless it's the router that blocks telnet, or a firewall
    on the Windows machines?

    The use of telnet is discouraged, these days, for security reasons.
    FTP ditto.

    If you want to exchange files between Win and Linux without to much
    hassle, I'd suggest 2 solutions:
    1. Create a Win share, and access it from Konqueror using smb://win_pc as
    address. No install required, in a lot of distro's.
    2. Get WinSCP somewhere. It will allow you to exchange files in much the
    same way as ftp, but using the secure ssh/scp protocol. Again, no config
    required.

    Solution 1 will use allmost the complete bandwidth. Solution 2 is slow,
    about 1.8MB/s in a 100Mb/s LAN, instead of 10MB/s.

    Beyond that, you can define SMB shares in Linux, for the more regular
    exchanges. In SUSE, Yast will do the config for you.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread