802.11b wifi card w/ channel 14 (JAPAN) - Networking

This is a discussion on 802.11b wifi card w/ channel 14 (JAPAN) - Networking ; I am looking for PCMCIA and CF 802.11b cards that work with linux and that can use wifi channel 14 (JAPAN) and that are available in the US. I need one CF card and one PCMCIA (not cardbus) card. So ...

  1. 802.11b wifi card w/ channel 14 (JAPAN)

    I am looking for PCMCIA and CF 802.11b cards that work with linux and that
    can use wifi channel 14 (JAPAN) and that are available in the US.

    I need one CF card and one PCMCIA (not cardbus) card.

    So far, I've pretty much struck out. The cards I have return an error
    when I try to set them to channel 14 or to 2.477 GHz.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    I'll be in Japan in a few weeks, so any suggestions for cards that work
    with linux and that are available there would be welcome as well.

    Thanks,

    --Yan

  2. Re: 802.11b wifi card w/ channel 14 (JAPAN)

    V Mon, 21 May 2007 08:19:53 +0000, Bill Marcum napsal(a):

    > On Mon, 21 May 2007 03:17:12 -0000, Captain Dondo
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I am looking for PCMCIA and CF 802.11b cards that work with linux and that
    >> can use wifi channel 14 (JAPAN) and that are available in the US.
    >>

    > I don't think the FCC would allow a device to be sold in the US if it is
    > able to transmit on frequencies that are not permitted here.

    Most APs allow you to set whatever channel you want if you can install
    OpenWrt. The cards themselves seem to be market-targeted and the
    regulatory domain seems to be hard-wired into the cards.

    So I'm looking for cards that work in both markets. These cards are made
    to be portable - but not across regulatory domains? That's beyond
    assinine.

    --Yan

+ Reply to Thread