Bluetooth problem - Networking

This is a discussion on Bluetooth problem - Networking ; Hi there, I have a problem with bluetooth/GPRS: on a system (router on ADM5120 - MIPS clone with USB 1.1 ports, 2M flash, 16M RAM) i am trying to establish GPRS connection. System is kernel 2.4.32, uClibc, port of OpenWRT ...

  1. Bluetooth problem

    Hi there,
    I have a problem with bluetooth/GPRS:
    on a system (router on ADM5120 - MIPS clone with USB 1.1 ports, 2M
    flash, 16M RAM) i am trying to establish GPRS connection. System is
    kernel 2.4.32, uClibc, port of OpenWRT for ADM5120 named midge.
    I have arrived to make all work together (bt, routing, pppd) but
    connection stops after a time (10-400 secs). In syslog i have found 2
    kind of "entries":
    1). connection stops on clock update -> message about this, followed
    immediatly by "modem hangup".

    2). Some kind of error:

    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing
    stalled ACL connection FB:9D:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.info pppd[1642]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.notice pppd[1642]: Modem hangup
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.info pppd[1642]: Connect time 2.4 minutes.
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.info pppd[1642]: Sent 5066 bytes, received
    1453 bytes.
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.debug pppd[1642]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down
    started (pid 1968)
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.notice pppd[1642]: Connection terminated.
    Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.debug pppd[1642]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down
    finished (pid 1968), stat0
    / #

    What is strange, that is that address of remote BT device (phone) is
    REVERSED in this message.

    Anyone help?

    W.P.

  2. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. wrote:

    > 1). connection stops on clock update -> message about this, followed
    > immediatly by "modem hangup".
    >
    > 2). Some kind of error:
    >
    > Anyone help?

    Have you tried Vlad's well kept forum
    (http://midge.vlad.org.ua/forum/)? Maybe you get help there...

    HTH Martin

  3. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Użytkownik Martin Klar napisał:
    > W.P. wrote:
    >
    >> 1). connection stops on clock update -> message about this, followed
    >> immediatly by "modem hangup".
    >>
    >> 2). Some kind of error:
    >>
    >> Anyone help?

    > Have you tried Vlad's well kept forum
    > (http://midge.vlad.org.ua/forum/)? Maybe you get help there...
    >
    > HTH Martin

    Yes, have tried but without response. Now i am trying with Vlad's help
    to compile latest SVN version but i got some errors. When successfully
    compile, will try if problem is still there.

    BTW, have you any ideas what is wrong? (maybe endianism mismatch issuse
    beetween platform bt-utils were build (probably intel) and mips?)

    W.P.

  4. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. wrote:
    > compile, will try if problem is still there.
    >
    > BTW, have you any ideas what is wrong? (maybe endianism mismatch issuse
    > beetween platform bt-utils were build (probably intel) and mips?)

    the period of (10-400s) lets me think of an ARP-issue. What about ARP
    broadcasts in your network?

    Martin

  5. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I have a problem with bluetooth/GPRS:
    > on a system (router on ADM5120 - MIPS clone with USB 1.1 ports, 2M
    > flash, 16M RAM) i am trying to establish GPRS connection. System is
    > kernel 2.4.32, uClibc, port of OpenWRT for ADM5120 named midge.
    > I have arrived to make all work together (bt, routing, pppd) but
    > connection stops after a time (10-400 secs). In syslog i have found 2
    > kind of "entries":
    > 1). connection stops on clock update -> message about this, followed
    > immediatly by "modem hangup".

    > 2). Some kind of error:

    > Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
    > Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing
    > stalled ACL connection FB:9D:xx:xx:xx:xx
    > Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.info pppd[1642]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    > Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.notice pppd[1642]: Modem hangup

    > Anyone help?

    A search on Google for stalled+ACL suggests the problem is in the
    kernel. The first hit was the same question for a 2.4 kernel with
    no answer, but further on in the hit list

    http://www.bluez.org/news.html:

    26.09.2006
    Bluetooth kernel patch 2.6.18-mh3 available
    The previous patch tried to workaround some race conditions instead of
    fixing their real origin. The problem of stalled ACL links should now
    be fixed once and for all.

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

  6. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Użytkownik Martin Klar napisał:
    > W.P. wrote:
    >
    >> compile, will try if problem is still there.
    >>
    >> BTW, have you any ideas what is wrong? (maybe endianism mismatch issuse
    >> beetween platform bt-utils were build (probably intel) and mips?)

    > the period of (10-400s) lets me think of an ARP-issue. What about ARP
    > broadcasts in your network?
    >
    > Martin

    Don't think it's ARP: 1). problem is on ppp link which is ARP-less. 2).
    AFTER stopping to "normal" ping, I cannot l2ping the device (phone). -
    on phone there is indication of BT connection, but program responds : no
    response. So this must be an BT layer issue.

    W.P.

  7. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Uytkownik Clifford Kite napisa:
    > W.P. wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>I have a problem with bluetooth/GPRS:
    >>on a system (router on ADM5120 - MIPS clone with USB 1.1 ports, 2M
    >>flash, 16M RAM) i am trying to establish GPRS connection. System is
    >>kernel 2.4.32, uClibc, port of OpenWRT for ADM5120 named midge.
    >>I have arrived to make all work together (bt, routing, pppd) but
    >>connection stops after a time (10-400 secs). In syslog i have found 2
    >>kind of "entries":
    >>1). connection stops on clock update -> message about this, followed
    >>immediatly by "modem hangup".

    >>2). Some kind of error:

    >>Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
    >>Jan 1 02:03:05 midge user.err kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing
    >>stalled ACL connection FB:9D:xx:xx:xx:xx
    >>Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.info pppd[1642]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    >>Jan 1 02:03:05 midge daemon.notice pppd[1642]: Modem hangup

    >>Anyone help?

    > A search on Google for stalled+ACL suggests the problem is in the
    > kernel. The first hit was the same question for a 2.4 kernel with
    > no answer, but further on in the hit list
    >
    > http://www.bluez.org/news.html:
    >
    > 26.09.2006
    > Bluetooth kernel patch 2.6.18-mh3 available
    > The previous patch tried to workaround some race conditions instead of
    > fixing their real origin. The problem of stalled ACL links should now
    > be fixed once and for all.

    Could you repost URL ? (it's cut). Second, is the solution to upgrade to
    2.6 kernel?? This can't be applied in my case.

    W.P.

  8. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Użytkownik W.P. napisał:
    > Użytkownik Martin Klar napisał:
    >
    >>W.P. wrote:
    >>

    >>>compile, will try if problem is still there.
    >>>
    >>>BTW, have you any ideas what is wrong? (maybe endianism mismatch issuse
    >>>beetween platform bt-utils were build (probably intel) and mips?)

    >>the period of (10-400s) lets me think of an ARP-issue. What about ARP
    >>broadcasts in your network?
    >>
    >>Martin

    > Don't think it's ARP: 1). problem is on ppp link which is ARP-less. 2).
    > AFTER stopping to "normal" ping, I cannot l2ping the device (phone). -
    > on phone there is indication of BT connection, but program responds : no
    > response. So this must be an BT layer issue.
    >
    > W.P.

    Moreover don't think it's this patch issue, as I have kernel 2.6.16
    (more recent than this patch) on PC and it works with the same dongle &
    phone perfectly.

    W.P.

  9. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. wrote:
    > Uytkownik Clifford Kite napisa:
    >> W.P. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> I have a problem with bluetooth/GPRS:

    [...]
    >> A search on Google for stalled+ACL suggests the problem is in the
    >> kernel. The first hit was the same question for a 2.4 kernel with
    >> no answer, but further on in the hit list
    >>
    >> http://www.bluez.org/news.html:
    >>
    >> 26.09.2006
    >> Bluetooth kernel patch 2.6.18-mh3 available
    >> The previous patch tried to workaround some race conditions instead of
    >> fixing their real origin. The problem of stalled ACL links should now
    >> be fixed once and for all.

    [...]

    which building-env do you use? I'm using the tools from edimax-homepage
    when compiling tools for midge. Have you tried this?

    Martin

  10. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    > W.P. wrote:
    >
    >> Uytkownik Clifford Kite napisa:

    > [...]
    >

    >>> A search on Google for stalled+ACL suggests the problem is in the
    >>> kernel. The first hit was the same question for a 2.4 kernel with
    >>> no answer, but further on in the hit list
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bluez.org/news.html:
    >>>
    >>> 26.09.2006
    >>> Bluetooth kernel patch 2.6.18-mh3 available
    >>> The previous patch tried to workaround some race conditions instead of
    >>> fixing their real origin. The problem of stalled ACL links should now
    >>> be fixed once and for all.

    > [...]
    >
    > which building-env do you use? I'm using the tools from edimax-homepage
    > when compiling tools for midge. Have you tried this?
    >
    > Martin

    And me, I was using Vlad's toolchain (OpenWRT). What EXACTLY filename of
    toolkit do you use? (Will try this). And how do you "adapt" from .config
    to make whole soft? Could you say more?

    W.P.

  11. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. wrote:
    > Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    >> W.P. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Uytkownik Clifford Kite napisa:

    >> [...]

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> which building-env do you use? I'm using the tools from edimax-homepage
    >> when compiling tools for midge. Have you tried this?
    >>
    >> Martin

    > And me, I was using Vlad's toolchain (OpenWRT). What EXACTLY filename of
    > toolkit do you use? (Will try this). And how do you "adapt" from .config
    > to make whole soft? Could you say more?

    I searched the edimax-homepage, but didn't find the archive I once got.
    So I put the archive, which I found on my disk, onto my univ-account.
    You could get it under
    http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uk...x-Tools.tgz.gz.
    untar the archive from /.
    I simply set CC=/export/tools/mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc
    LD, CXX(?) accordingly, then configure mostly work out of the box.

    Martin

  12. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    > W.P. wrote:
    >
    >> Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> which building-env do you use? I'm using the tools from edimax-homepage
    >>> when compiling tools for midge. Have you tried this?
    >>>
    >>> Martin

    >> And me, I was using Vlad's toolchain (OpenWRT). What EXACTLY filename of
    >> toolkit do you use? (Will try this). And how do you "adapt" from .config
    >> to make whole soft? Could you say more?

    > I searched the edimax-homepage, but didn't find the archive I once got.
    > So I put the archive, which I found on my disk, onto my univ-account.
    > You could get it under
    > http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uk...x-Tools.tgz.gz.
    > untar the archive from /.
    > I simply set CC=/export/tools/mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc
    > LD, CXX(?) accordingly, then configure mostly work out of the box.
    >
    > Martin

    This tarball I have, but what sources do you use?

    W.P.

  13. Re: Bluetooth problem

    W.P. schrieb:
    > Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    > W.P. wrote:

    [...]
    > This tarball I have, but what sources do you use?

    I never built kernel-modules using this toolkit, only user-space
    packets. Maybe use your sources from midge or fresh ones from kernel.org.

    Martin

  14. Re: Bluetooth problem

    Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    > W.P. schrieb:
    >
    >> Uytkownik Martin Klar napisa:
    >> W.P. wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> This tarball I have, but what sources do you use?

    > I never built kernel-modules using this toolkit, only user-space
    > packets. Maybe use your sources from midge or fresh ones from kernel.org.
    >
    > Martin

    Coul you help me on how to compile/install dbus on midge (or how to
    disable it in latest bluez libs/tools package which is 3.10??) I must
    change something: kernel drivers OR userland libs/programs to further
    isolate problem.

    BTW, you haven't answered my question: what sources do you use: Edimax
    or Vlad's? (original with patches)???

    W.P.

+ Reply to Thread