Because this is Minuteman's Production server and is not really an
email server, they block those types of queries at the firewall.

_ _ _ _ _ Example. Notice. Minuteman Library Network http://www.mln.lib.ma.us _ _ _ _ _

(from camtel at localhost)
by library.minlib.net (8.9.3p3-20030923/8.9.1) id AAA03306

<200705190423.AAA03306 at library.minlib.net>

Subject: Library Notice
camreturns at minlib.net

CAMBRIDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY NOW OPEN AT THE LONGFELLOW SCHOOL
359 BROADWAY
CAMBRIDGE MA 02139-4125 Sat May 19 2007
617-349-4040 http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPL/hours/libhours.html

Requested Item(s) Ready for Pickup
The item that you requested is now being held for you at the library.
Bring this library card to pick up the item by the Pickup Date below.
Some libraries may charge for unclaimed requested items.

AUTHOR:
TITLE: The legend of 1900
CALL NO: DVD LEGEND OF 190
BARCODE: 34868004907812
LOCATION: WATERTOWN/Audiovisual
PICKUP AT: Cambridge M BY: 05-29-07

3:1

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Their test email said:

.... which I'm assuming is going to be their envelope sender.

Let's get their authoritative nameservers:

host -t ns library.minlib.net
library.minlib.net name server ns3.ctccom.net.
library.minlib.net name server ns4.ctccom.net.

Alright -- now let's ask each of them who the MX is for the domain
library.minlib.net:

host -t mx library.minlib.net ns4.ctccom.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns4.ctccom.net
Address: 64.69.100.35#53
Aliases:

library.minlib.net mail is handled by 10 mail.library.minlib.net.
host -t mx library.minlib.net ns3.ctccom.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns3.ctccom.net
Address: 64.69.100.67#53
Aliases:

library.minlib.net mail is handled by 10 mail.library.minlib.net.

Great. Now what's mail.library.minlib.net?

host mail.library.minlib.net ns3.ctccom.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns3.ctccom.net
Address: 64.69.100.67#53
Aliases:

mail.library.minlib.net has address 64.69.127.2

Let's contact it...

telnet 64.69.127.2 25
Trying 64.69.127.2...

That's why sender verification fails.

_ _ _ _ _ webmaster@minlib.net webmaster at minlib.net _ _ _ _ _
We've double checked and it appears that your email address is correctly
entered in our system with no errors, spaces or other characters. We've
checked our mail logs and they indicate that mail is being successfully sent
to your email address. However, the logs also indicate that your mail
server appears to be trying to validate our server by looking for a server
named "mail.minlib.net". This is not the name of our server, email is sent
from the catalog from a server named "minlib.net". So, your mail server
will not be able to verify us if it keeps using that name.

We recommend that you contact the administrator of your mail server to look
into why your server would be blocking emails from minlib.net. If it
possible for you to put minlib.net on your "whitelist" this may possibly
solve this issue.

Alternately, you may want to use another email address as your main email
contact for emails coming from MLN. You can change your email address by
going to: https://library.minlib.net/patroninfo/ and entering your barcode
and PIN. Once logged in, choose "Modify Personal Information" and update
your Email address.

Additionally, just to make you aware of how the system handles email
notices. When your items comes to your library to be picked up the system
queues an email notice to send to you (but it doesn't yet send it). The
email notice will be sent overnight. However, if you pick up your item
during that day, the system will remove your email notice from the queue.
So, sometimes it may seem as if you should have been notified about items,
but since you picked them up the system no longer notifies you about that
item.
Webmaster
Minuteman Library Network
http://www.mln.lib.ma.us/