bomb the network - Networking

This is a discussion on bomb the network - Networking ; Hi I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23 servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? ...

  1. bomb the network

    Hi
    I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of
    the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23
    servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? or i
    have to bomb TCP packet?
    thanks
    from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

  2. Re: bomb the network

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of
    > the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23
    > servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? or i
    > have to bomb TCP packet?
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    From one host, send broadcast ethernet packet (destination address
    ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff). You can use a tool like packit
    (http://www.intrusense.com/software/packit/).

    I would prefer UDP packets. If you use TCP, and packets are dropped by
    switch, TCP congestion control will kick in and reduce data window. However
    UDP does not have congestion control and will continue to bomb network even
    if packets are dropped.

    Hope this helps.

    Tejas Kokje

  3. Re: bomb the network

    thanks
    "Tejas Kokje"
    ??????:0-OdnYaWjMisYdbbnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com...
    > cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of
    >> the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23
    >> servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? or i
    >> have to bomb TCP packet?
    >> thanks
    >> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    > From one host, send broadcast ethernet packet (destination address
    > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff). You can use a tool like packit
    > (http://www.intrusense.com/software/packit/).
    >
    > I would prefer UDP packets. If you use TCP, and packets are dropped by
    > switch, TCP congestion control will kick in and reduce data window.
    > However
    > UDP does not have congestion control and will continue to bomb network
    > even
    > if packets are dropped.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Tejas Kokje

  4. Re: bomb the network

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of
    > the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23
    > servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? or i
    > have to bomb TCP packet?
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    Let me know just before you bomb the Tier 1 servers, as I would like to
    get a few short messages to family, before you crash the INTERNET as we
    know it!

  5. Re: bomb the network

    Good luck on that one..
    Thats the one problem with switches besides hubs..

    Hubs you can use all the bandwidth cause of the way a hub is designed...
    Switch you can use all the bandwidth on your end... but on the other end
    server 1 talking to server 2 have there own pipe...
    On the internal you can use the x.x.x.255 netmask but then again.. it would
    involve alot of packets to saturate all the connections...

    You might as well looking into ways to lag the servers down.. again this is
    all for testing on your own internal network... For Simulating purposes....
    Correct..

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a 24 ports 10/100MB switch, i want to send huge amount of
    > the packet to the switch, fill the whole bandwidth, so other 23
    > servers stop responding. How to do it? Can i bomb the UDP packet? or i
    > have to bomb TCP packet?
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

+ Reply to Thread